WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 45-70 light to heavy boolits with Red Dot (Powder that is)

Boolit Master

45-70 light to heavy boolits with Red Dot (Powder that is)

What have ya tried in yours?
    What gun?
    What boolit?
    How much Red Dot?
    Any chrono data?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Really?! No one jumping in on this? This looks like a fun fall topic. I guess I'll have to go empty some brass and see what this will do.

Boolit Master

I like to duplicate the old US Army cavalry load, the 45/55/405.

At 1,100 fps it is mild and the 405 grain bullet carries well out to extended ranges. I get better accuracy with it than with the lighter projectiles.

I've not tried Red Dot to make the duplication, but Unique and Tightgroup both work well. With Red Dot, start at 10.0 grain and work up to 12.0 grains. You should make 1,100 fps as you approach 12.0 grains.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

I have a selection of 45 cal rifle moulds 405 grn ( both flat base and hollow based) 450 grn 480 grn 510 grn 535 grn 550 grn and a adjustable PP mould. I haven't tried the 405s yet. As I just ordered them last summer both are lees. I have used the 450 grn a RCBS moukd I believe and 480 grn Lyman Smitzer style. They work okay in my 2 45-70 rifles. A pedersoli long range sharps and a brochardt. The 510 lyman round nose does real good in these rifles the 535 grn lyman postell performs better and is good to 500 yds and farther. The 550 is a great bullet cast from an Old West mould shoots great and is the top bullet in my 45-90 Hepburn. I normally keep the PP mould set around 525 grns and its a good performer also. I load these all over Black Powder to 1150-1200 fps. I tend to use bullets on the heavier side. In a 12 lbs rifle these loads are not bad recoil wise. and carry a lot of energy down range.

One thing to try if your looking for a new bullet for a new rifle is put a want to buy or add in the bullets section of swaping and selling for some test bullets in various weights and styles to test this gives you a good idea what mould you want and what alloy lube to use also.