MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To cast or not to cast - 10mm in a 1911

To cast or not to cast - 10mm in a 1911

Picked up one of the new Ruger 10mm 1911 units, and am trying to discern whether or not to go with cast, or some variety of coated or plated projectiles with it.

my searching has turned up only lots of info on glocks - usually with the caveat of not - unless you get a different barrel.

Any other 10mm owners out there - maybe any with 1911 platform that can weigh in? worth it, or stick with something else.

My only experience close to this caliber was with a beretta 96 which shot cast so poorly that you could almost see it spit lead like a badly timed revolver. I still have 500 hard cast 180 grainers from that time.

My primary use will be paper punching and steel targets.

Glock factory barrels with lead is bad...........TOTAL MYTH.
    10mm in a 1911 with cast will be just fine. Go with a nice TC boolit and fire away!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

I heard 800-x is a pretty good powder in the 10mm.
    which means I'd use something else.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I heard 800-x is a pretty good powder in the 10mm.
    which means I'd use something else.
    Yeah, if you want top velocity it's the best you can get. Longshot meters a lot better. But that goes w/out saying since 800-X might as well be gravel. I still haven't finished load development. All I know is I was well below max charge and the velocities and recoil were getting up there. That was w/ a 200 grain bullet. Then I bought a 220 grain mold. Then a 180 grain mold. I think I have one even lighter now. To many guns, to many molds and not enough time

Boolit Buddy
    Just got one myself, will be watching this thread.
    I also have a G20 and a Tanfoglio Witness, I've never shot lead thru them but not opposed to doing it, never gave it a thought until lately with me getting ready to try some shake and bake coating, will be looking for a mould once I find something that works.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Banned

my 10mm glocks see LOTS of cast bullets. As a matter of fact I don't recall ever shooting anything but cast out of them.

Boolit Master
    Considering getting a 10mm barrel and 22lb recoil spring for my Glock 21 and shooting cast. Do you think I will need PB gas checks for hot loads?

Banned

Any more in my glocks I use plain based pc coated bullets. Pretty tough to find gas checks or a gas check mold for a 40/10mm. Even conventional lubesized plain base bullets don't lead in my glocks but I do try to use an alloy at least 15bhn for casting.

Boolit Grand Master

I would shoot cast in a 10mm or 40 without any 2nd thoughts.

My 10mm early Delta Elite and my .40's shoot primarily cast TC bullets with good accuracy and no problems.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    Picked up one of the new Ruger 10mm 1911 units, and am trying to discern whether or not to go with cast, or some variety of coated or plated projectiles with it.

my searching has turned up only lots of info on glocks - usually with the caveat of not - unless you get a different barrel.

Any other 10mm owners out there - maybe any with 1911 platform that can weigh in? worth it, or stick with something else.

My only experience close to this caliber was with a beretta 96 which shot cast so poorly that you could almost see it spit lead like a badly timed revolver. I still have 500 hard cast 180 grainers from that time. My primary use will be paper punching and steel targets.
    Not the fault of the firearm, most likely the bullet was too small.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Not the fault of the firearm, most likely the bullet was too small.
    With regards to that. Absolutely. Later as I learned more. I discovered the Beretta was so overbored I could have rammed a 45 through it and probably not swaged it much. But the firearm wasn't mine, so I never had the chance to experiment with anything. After the first couple rounds going so badly and leading the barrel up so much, he gave up the idea of reloading and gave the leftover components to me.

Boolit Master
    If for no other reason, you could cast projectiles to optimize the hardness to the particular velocity you are seeking. I think a max load for a 180gr. projectile clocks just under 1300 f/s, while 200gr. projectiles tend to run 1100 + 25 f/s. Bullets of the right hardness for one velocity may not be he right ticket for the other.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I load a water quenched 200 grain RCBS and drive it as fast as the manuals allow in both a Glock and a S&W 1006. My favorite 10mm powder is AA#9 because it meters so well. I know everybody loves 800-X but I prefer a powder that doesn't meter like corn flakes. Blue Dot is too peaky for me.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried BE-86 or Herco in 10mm, particularly with 180-200gr. projectiles?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Mold
    I have an early Colt Delta Elite that I've shot a couple thousand cast boolits through, and the load it likes best is a 200gr. swc or tc with AA#7 for a little over 1000fps. Shoots great with that load. (I'm 2000 miles from my loading notes, but I think it's 9gr of AA#7)

Boolit Master

I shoot cast in my Colt without any issues. - sized to .401 - IIRC I'm a using HS6 or HS7 load.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    RIA , HC 6" model 52000:

Lee 401-175TC COWW, 8grs of Longshot for plinking and 200 gr WFN using AA# 9

155grn and 175grn trunecated cone lead bullets shoot great out of my original Delta Elite. AA#7 and #9 as well as Uniuqe work well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Kimber custom II in 10mm, ive tried the lee 401-175 that I modified for a flat base instead of bevel and that shot well with aa#7, I now have a noe 403-185hp mold that I think shoots night and day better, I'm also not the best shooter so I cant necessarily always blame the load or bullet or gun, or anything but me. I shot 200 rounds of jacketed through the gun then went right to cast and haven't shot a jacketed round since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast