RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Blackout sub bullet

Boolit Mold

New Blackout sub bullet

I'm new to the 300 Blackout having just built my first one with an 8.5" barrel.
    That said, I have had 4 Lee TL309-230-5R molds so far (another one should be here tomorrow). All cast way undersized. Lee said it was my casting technique or lead temp, but I was casting in two other Lee molds at the same time , a 9mm and a 45apc and they both cast 1 to 1.5 thousands over stated size while the TL309-230-5R was consistently under on an average of 3 to 4 thousands. I I use an air powered setup for sizing but the only force needed to put these bullets through the .309 sizer was pushing another bullet into it by hand.
    I even sent one of the molds back to Lee and they sent it back and said it was in spec (wonder what their specifications are?).

I got so disgusted that I designed a bullet based on Accurate Molds 31-225B and the 31-215E with no lube grove since I use Hi-Tec coating. The new bullet # is 31-236S.
    I ordered a 3 cavity mold of it today. I have one other mold from Accurate in 9mm and it is the best I have ever used.

The only trouble with the new mold is I've now got to wait 3 weeks to get it!

I've heard people have gotten good results with the NOE 311-247-FN mold. I picked up the hollowpoint version, but haven't had a chance to cast with it.

Either way, hopefully your new mold will yield far better results than the Lee mold!

Banned

if you got an 8 twist barrel you ain't missing nuthin with the lee mold.
    I have it and shoot it in a 7 twist and it's okay at low speeds to about 50 yds.
    mine barely scuffs the bottom band [below the tumble grooves] a .310 sizer.
    I can't use thicker milsurp brass in my rifle with a 310 diameter bullet anyway, I have to buy commercial cases.

Boolit Mold

Quick

3 days from ordering the mold from Accurate Molds until I have it in my hands!

Thought is was going to take 3 weeks.

Tom is fast.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

That is a great looking pc boolit and I'll bet that mold rains those slick sided things.

Boolit Mold
    They came out so nice and easy I'm almost ashamed. My problem now is that Ive cast a little over 1100 of them, and put 2 coats of gold Hi-Tec epoxy on them, I don't know what to do with them. I sold the 300 blackout pistol I just built and don't feel like messing with another.
    I hate to melt them down, but 28.4# of lead will cast a lot of 9mm and .45 ACP. Just hate to melt down such pretty bullets.

Boolit Bub
    im pretty sure I just found your listing for the mold on ebay. I just got into 300blk and im sorely disappointed in the lee mold that I got. i may have to just pick that mold up from you and see how those boolits shoot out of a 16in. if you ever head to the 1000yd range in lincon ill let you shoot the rifle i just built up.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am sure that someone might trade you for your boolits, some lead alloy or $$

Boolit Master
    The Lee boolit does drop small, Lee is FOS calling it anything else, I have two both drop small, all my other Lee molds spot on. To use them powder coat them. They still are not perfect since the front driving band is way undersized and even after PC'ing it does not always bring it up to size compared to the rear of the boolit, so really the enitre mold is screwed up.

Banned
    lsippell You can throw a coat or two of PC on the Lee boolit to get it up to where you want it.