Reloading EverythingLoad DataPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screws To Nowhere...

Boolit Master

Question Screws To Nowhere...

I've been shooting this Model 1892 Marlin (32 Long Colt) for a good many years...

I generally take the side plate off of the receiver and clean it after a hundred rounds...

Today I noticed the 3 screws on top of the receiver and I looked inside the action and they screw into NOTHING...

I wonder what their purpose actually is? Some type of optic sights from a century ago?...

Thanks...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 032818182756.jpg  

Boolit Master

How about plug screws for various optics?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Maybe...

I was thinking optics, but maybe peep sights?...

BCB

Boolit Master
    Looks like the screw holes on the top of my Henry. Skinner makes a nice peep sight for that-- I don't know if he makes one for the Marlin as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

2 appear to be on centerline the inside one is slightly off center line. Not sure if for a sight or some other item the 2 on centerline may be for a scope or some sort of receiver sight. Another small note here is while you don't see the holes thru on the inside not all tapped holes are thru holes. They could also have been holes used in the manufacturering process and tapped and plugged to keep dirt out after assembly.

Boolit Master
    It is factory drilled for the Marlin Combination Receiver Sight,also known as the L.L. Hepburn sight. All Models 1893, 94 , and 95 made after August 1903, were drilled for this sight. This info came from Nick Stroebel's wonderful book "Old Gunsights".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    2 appear to be on centerline the inside one is slightly off center line. Not sure if for a sight or some other item the 2 on centerline may be for a scope or some sort of receiver sight. Another small note here is while you don't see the holes thru on the inside not all tapped holes are thru holes. They could also have been holes used in the manufacturering process and tapped and plugged to keep dirt out after assembly.
    You are correct about 2 being on center line and one being off center...

BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    It is factory drilled for the Marlin Combination Receiver Sight,also known as the L.L. Hepburn sight. All Models 1893, 94 , and 95 made after August 1903, were drilled for this sight. This info came from Nick Stroebel's wonderful book "Old Gunsights".
    I wonder if one of these could be found or if someone makes and "after market" version?...

BCB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I wonder if one of these could be found or if someone makes and "after market" version?...

BCB
    http://www.skinnersights.com/hepburn_28.html

Boolit Buddy
    Two of the holes are indeed for the Hepburn rear sight. The top of the recv'r was changed in '03/04 from a round top to the flat top to accomodate the sight. The 'Marlin Safety' marking was also elliminated as it would have been mostly obscured by the 2 extra holes and plug screws. Completely if the sight was installed.
    The third screw is for the small flat spring inside on the roof of the rec'vr. Called the cartridge guide spring, it does just that, helps guide the next up loaded round into the chamber by slightly deflecting the bullet nose. It bends out of the way as the bolt closes.
    A similar type spring is used on the 39 lever and even on the Model 80 .22 bolt action though the latter is anchored from the opposite direction.

I'm not sure the Model 92 used the cartridge guide spring from the begining of production in 1895. At least from the time of the Flat Top frame & Hepburn sight mod in '03/04 time period on both the 22 and 32's and thru the end on the 22cal rifles. (1915)

Boolit Master

Glad I asked the question about the screws. I got some good information about the little '92 that I didn't know anything about...

I did contact Skinner via e-mail concerning the Hepburn sight. We shall see what he might say about it...

I wonder if using one of these style sights would make it easier to shoot with a bit better accuracy than the buckhorn type. The old eyes are failing me as can be somewhat expected. The only experience I have with the aperture sights is during Uncle Sam days. Then my eyes were good and I really don't remember if the peep style was better or not...

Think I would gain a better sighting situation with the Hepburn?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Over a buckhorn - absolutely. The eye automatically centers in the hole of the receiver sight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

One of those holes is the cartridge guide a little flat piece that guides the shell into the chamber the other two are for an old Marlin rear sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Glad I asked the question about the screws. I got some good information about the little '92 that I didn't know anything about...

I did contact Skinner via e-mail concerning the Hepburn sight. We shall see what he might say about it...

I wonder if using one of these style sights would make it easier to shoot with a bit better accuracy than the buckhorn type. The old eyes are failing me as can be somewhat expected. The only experience I have with the aperture sights is during Uncle Sam days. Then my eyes were good and I really don't remember if the peep style was better or not...

Think I would gain a better sighting situation with the Hepburn?...

Thanks...BCB
    IMHO, anything at all is an improvement over the buckhorn sight! Those things are an absolute abomination, and why they lasted as long as they did is anybody's guess. Hepburn was a target shooter himself, and if he designed it, you can bet it will be good to shoot with. BTW, did you get that rifle with both firing pins? Mine had the second under the butt plate so you could switch back and forth between rim fire and center fire. The 32 Colt Longs had just gotten a little rare and expensive when I owned mine back in the 1970s, and rimfire was in the highly collectible state. I wish I had kept that old rifle, but foolishly let it go for something I thought I needed worse! Mine had a 26" (IIRC) octagon barrel and was nearly perfect except for a couple of dime sized spots that had apparently had blood dripped on them and were pitted significantly. The bore was about a 9 1/2.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    IMHO, anything at all is an improvement over the buckhorn sight! Froggie
    They add to the 'fun' of cowboy action shooting

course when your targets are 15 yards and 16x16" it's hard to miss them (but not impossible)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    IMHO, anything at all is an improvement over the buckhorn sight! Those things are an absolute abomination, and why they lasted as long as they did is anybody's guess. Hepburn was a target shooter himself, and if he designed it, you can bet it will be good to shoot with. BTW, did you get that rifle with both firing pins? Mine had the second under the butt plate so you could switch back and forth between rim fire and center fire. The 32 Colt Longs had just gotten a little rare and expensive when I owned mine back in the 1970s, and rimfire was in the highly collectible state. I wish I had kept that old rifle, but foolishly let it go for something I thought I needed worse! Mine had a 26" (IIRC) octagon barrel and was nearly perfect except for a couple of dime sized spots that had apparently had blood dripped on them and were pitted significantly. The bore was about a 9 1/2.

Froggie
    Mine does not have the rimfire firing pin. I checked into one of those many years ago when I got the rifle and I guess I figured I really wouldn't need it. I don't remember if you could still purchase them or whether it had to be fabricated. Still, it would be nice to have both--Under the butt plate is a nice thought...

I did have to replace the ejector spring (?) if I remember correctly. Don't even know where it came from...

Mine is a 24" octagon barrel and is a nice shooter. Just fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate...

I just cast about 300 N.E.I. 313-95-Heel boolits yesterday. 25 of them I cast from pure lead and hollow pointed a couple of them and am looking forward to shooting them into some wet books. Took time to do the hollow pointing, but it will be fun to see what they do-Retirement has its advantages...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master
    You will likely want to try different size apertures. I find that larger ones work better in low light conditions for me, a much younger friend does well with much smaller ones than I find useful. Everyone's eyes are different.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master

One of the benefits of the receiver sights is the added sight radious they provide on a given rifle. This makes sight alighnment easier and a little less critical in use.

Boolit Master

I e-mailed Skinner about the sights for my '92 and I didn't get a reply...

I read the FAQ and tried to look at the entire site and I didn't see anything about sights for my particular Marlin...

He hasn't replied yet and it seems he might not...

Oh well...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Question

This is a question about the same little Marlin ’92 but a different subject than my 1st post…

I am including a pic, although not the best in the world…

If you look closely, you will see a slotted screw head on the right side of the rear sight…

What might that be for?...

This little 32 Long Colt is an interesting critter. Quite accurate and fun to shoot...

Thanks…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 060318104320.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast