RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is 9mm Luger another high pressure round that should not shoot Cast?

Boolit Master
    GONRA has 3 dozen 9mm Parabellums in my Junque Pyle.
    For decades, reloaded nothing but CAST 115 grain and 125 grain lead bullets in these.

Remember - am "just plinking with collector items without beating 'em up" here -
    not concerned with "terminal performance".
    This goes for all semiauto pistols (.25 ACP and up) I have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Are there no gas checked bullet molds for the 9mm Luger?
    I have a RCBS 2 cavity 124 gr gc ( NFS )

Boolit Man
    This is my go to boolit for the 9mm, it falls from the mold
    at 131gr, it works great in every 9mm I own, it falls at
    .361 so I can fit it to any 9mm or 357.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...old-358-125-rf

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...uld-358-125-rf

Have shot it in a six inch 357 sig at 1670fps, it had a free check,
    also had HF red and LBT blue lube on it.

In the 9mm I usually use HS-6 powder and push it to 1240fps
    in the four inch barrels, that also goes around 1350 fps in my
    6.5'' BH, have five BHs that shoot 9mm.

In the BH, have got under 1.5'' at 30 yards, it has a lot of jump
    in that long cylinder.

Boolit Master

Just found this thread and read every post. Very interesting especially since I have gotten interested in the last few months in reloading cast for the 9mm. My original intent was to load the Lee 105gr SWC. It should work in a couple of Sigs, one of which has had Doug Guy's magic performed on it. When I inquired about the two S&W Shields(one for son & DIL),he told me the barrels were too hard on tooling(reamers).

I loaded some of the 105's over 4 gr of Red Dot. They had to be seated so the top driving band was even with the mouth of the brass so would pass plunk test. This compacted the powder some and was very short OAL. Shot OK but was sort of snappy and the short length didn't lend itself to feeding. Looking at a couple of NOE molds that have been featured this week. Will definitely back off on Red Dot and also try other powders. This thread definitely bookmarked.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    The 9mm seems to give a lot of people problems, I've read a bunch of similar threads posted over the years and usually I make the same statement about loading for a 9mm.

Find a copy of Ken Waters 9mm pet loads second issue, in it he covers most of the reasons the 9mm give shooters problem, google can be your friend here and I suggest you read carefully several different paragraphs which will help you when you start loading the 9mm.

First paragraph deals with can length, Ken found a .020 difference in length in one factory box of 9mm ammo, this can play havoc with expanding case mouths for cast boolits, the second paragraph deal with can capacity which can vary a lot for maker to maker.

up shot of his article is try to use same brand case's, guess we'd all like to drop a couple hundred on new Starline brass but that doesn't alway work for everyone, LOL!

Be aware of case length issues, try to always get the cases with in a few thousandths of an inch, which means trimming but you only need to do it once most of the time ( mostly cause the darn thing throw brass everywhere) but you may need to pay more attention to 9mm cases than most others.

search for Kens 9mm articles, he wrote two the update or second article has the info you really need, and decide for yourself if you want to reload for the 9mm.

By the way Ken has some good loads listed some very accurate out to 50 yards in the updated article.

HM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Just found this thread and read every post. Very interesting especially since I have gotten interested in the last few months in reloading cast for the 9mm. My original intent was to load the Lee 105gr SWC. It should work in a couple of Sigs, one of which has had Doug Guy's magic performed on it. When I inquired about the two S&W Shields(one for son & DIL),he told me the barrels were too hard on tooling(reamers).

I loaded some of the 105's over 4 gr of Red Dot. They had to be seated so the top driving band was even with the mouth of the brass so would pass plunk test. This compacted the powder some and was very short OAL. Shot OK but was sort of snappy and the short length didn't lend itself to feeding. Looking at a couple of NOE molds that have been featured this week. Will definitely back off on Red Dot and also try other powders. This thread definitely bookmarked.
    Not sure what equipment you're using to load your 9mm with, but if you've got a Lee powder thru expander die, and are having to load short to plunk, you may want to look into getting a 38 S&W plug to replace the stock 9mm one. It'll expand the brass deeper than the stock plug, so you have less chance of accidentally swaging down your boolits when you seat.

I've used the NOE 358-135 FN to good success, since you're in the market for a new mold. I really like the Accurate 35-130Z since I Hi-Tek coat. I don't have to worry about running into the lube groove when I seat them long.

35-135S HiTek, 357 & WST - probably 30K psi. AC Isocore. XDS9. No leading, accurate & fast repeat shots.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    I have five 9's now, and few more prior to selling a couple...and all I ever shoot is cast. Going on 35 plus years now. Home cast with range lead, purchased cast via the various dealers, Hi-Tech, lubed lead, powder coated, I shoot them all with no issues. I don't shoot plus +P, but I do shoot at the higher end of things for clean burning. Shoot away

Boolit Bub
    Oh, and let me add that I am a Bullseye/accuracy shooter, no action events where I'm spraying shotgun pattern lead as fast as I can

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123