So here are Mary and Joseph, going to the temple to present their firstborn son to God. This was done at some cost to them, not only for the travel, but also because of the work that they would not be doing while they were gone. In addition, they had to offer a sacrifice at the temple. For the wealthy, it would be a lamb. For the very poor, it could be a measure of finest flour. Mary and Joseph took a middle approach, with two doves. In any case, it had to cost the family something; and blood had to be shed.

Orthodox Jews to this day participate in the practice of Pidyon Haben, or redemption of the first born son. On the appointed thirty-first day following birth, the child’s father brings the son to a Kohen, who is a direct descendent of the tribe of Levites. During the ceremony, the father presents five silver coins to the Kohen. The Kohen then asks the father which he would rather have; the coins or the child. The father replies that he would rather have the child. The Kohen accepts the silver, and the child is then redeemed. According to Rabbinic tradition, in the book of Genesis, the priestly role was initially given to the eldest sons of Israel, but after the affair of the golden calf when the Israelites broke faith with their God, that right was taken away, and given to the Levites. Thereafter, every firstborn son had to be redeemed in the manner just described.

So here was Jesus, at the temple with his family, being redeemed. Prophet, priest, king, lamb. He was all of those. But did Mary and Joseph understand all that? I rather doubt it. I think that one of the great lessons of this story is that faith matters. Even when you don’t know why, it is important to practice your faith, just as Mary and Joseph did what the law required, at a personal cost, and perhaps without even knowing why.

While the family is at the temple, awaiting to redeem their firstborn, a stranger, Simeon, accosts them. It must have been a great surprise. They could hardly have known him; it would be something akin to taking a baby from here to New York City to be baptized. His speech was short but memorable; his aging eyes had finally seen the redemption of Israel promised by the Holy Spirit. There is no doubt that Simeon was old. He had seen much in his time, and was troubled to see his nation under the yoke of her oppressors. This was not simple patriotism. He believed the promise that God would redeem his people, who had sinned grievously. Whether he was a priest or not is unclear, but it is clear that he was a righteous man in God’s sight. Speaking directly to Mary he utters the prophetic words, “a sword shall pierce your soul.”

We who know the rest of that story, can easily understand what that meant. But what would it have meant to Mary, just a girl herself? How would she have taken it? I suspect that she did not comprehend that message until years later, when she watched her son, God’s son, crucified for the sins of the world.

I think that sometimes it is better not to know. How often have we borne burdens that we would have thought impossible if we knew about it in advance? Ignorance sometimes really is bliss. This young family went home after the redemption, and raised their baby. I bet he had cholic, and kept them up at night. He had terrible two’s and teenage defiance. I’ll also bet that they all loved each other with a deep devotion. Jesus was completely human, but also completely God. He was perfect and unblemished; he was the Lamb of God.

Wayne