Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnets and Guns

Banned

Magnets and Guns

Searching the experience pool out there. I'm thinking about holding a gun under my nite stand using a strong magnet.

At this time I can't think of a problem with this so I'm asking you.

Boolit Master

I don't see a problem as long as your comfortable that it could be held securely. An idea to protect the guns finish maybe you could powder coat the magnet. Just a thought.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

I have seen some of these factory, so I would figure it is ok. As a side note, Cook's holsters offers a "flat back" kydex with Velcro to mou t wherever you like for a very fair price.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    If you use the magnet a piece of thin felt would help to protect the finish

Boolit Master
    It'll work (assuming no kids or pets in the house).
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

They work good, I have a commercial version for just inside my travel trailer and some homemade ones using hard drive magnets. A piece of thin felt work good over the homemade ones, the commercial ones are imbedded in plastic.

If its for bedside use though, you can also look at these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Tact.../dp/B01GQWX8Q8
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Powder coat would probably protect the gun finish just fine but it has to be baked on and that might be a problem. Magnets have a curie point where heating it up to or near will permanently lose or significantly reduce the magnetic force. The curie point is dependent on the type of magnetic. Just a heads up.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

No need to powder coat, just use any number of plastic dips made for tool handles.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy
    I have one on my side of the bed that holds a G23. It's pretty strong and is made for that purpose. I bought several plastic coated magnets from K&J Magnetics and use one on a table by my easy chair. It holds a G20 loaded with 15 rounds of Underwood. That one is not even screwed to the metal table but holds it just fine.

Boolit Master
    No need to over-think it. I've used a piece of scotch tape over a magnet to prevent scratches.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

A problem I see with magnets in this application is the very short range of attraction for most magnets. Thus, if something jars the gun loose (such as a grab fumble), holding power is lost and the gun is free. I have one of those flat back Cook Kydex holsters for carrying my Jeep gun on the back face of the center console, well made bit of kit.

Boolit Bub
    $3.99 for a welding magnet at my local Family Center store. Spray on adhesive with felt and you're good to go.

Boolit Master
    On my new fangled polymer gun I used my daughter's hot glue gun...I thought about caulk at first but that was just silly.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Long term on a magnet may cause some transfer to the steel of the fire arm and affect function of. Try drilling a hole in steel with a drill that's magnetized. It may not be a problem but in=der stress isn't the time to find out.

Banned
    A lot of good food for thought

I have used a shaped magnet as a bolt block (kept the bolt closed) on a Ruger 10/22 - I saw no negative effects - I also have seen Magnets sold at gunshows the both the purpose you describe and the one I liked was a metal hanger with the shotgun suspended by it's barrel from the magnet and a coat on the hanger - slick hiding place amongst the other coats.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Some stainless is magnetic and some not. Now you've got me curious - will see if my SS revolvers are magnetic ...

Boolit Master
    How many of you have an old computer sitting around that doesn't work anymore?. There are some really strong rare earth magnets in the hard drive. They are usually attached to a steel plate that can be drilled for mounting holes. I have one that really defies removing from my workbench. Felt, rubber gasket material can be glued on the magnet protecting your firearms finish. Just a suggestion. Frank

Banned
    And the plot thickens, there is an assortment of magnets for guns on the web, I know -- just because something is being sold doesn't mean it's harmless. Really enjoying your input.

Boolit Master
    People have identified two of the problems. Some stainless steels are magnetic and others aren't. I don't have any stainless guns, or much else of all that confounded modernity that is around nowadays. But I have a stainless investment casting on my projects backlog to make a falling-block rifle someday, in a stainless steel I know the foundry used on a 9mm. automatic contract. It is magnetic, although perhaps a bit less so than carbon steel. But others may be non-magnetic. A magnetised gun won't jump out of your hand towards any steel object, or stop the slide from sliding. But it may pick up filings and small debris, which could cause a jam.

My wife once helpfully tidied up some of my odds and ends, including a couple of micrometers and a powerful neodymium magnet. I found the them together the following week, and found myself adding filings to the size of anything I measured. So I bought a demagnetiser, about $7 from China on eBay, and it solved the problem with that and many drills, taps etc. One big enough for a gun would be expensive, if you can find one, but very possibly there are firms that offer it as a service.

In a possibly perverse spirit of scientific inquiry I tried it on a small neodymium magnet, which flew at high velocity across the room as soon as I switched on.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 09-13-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast