MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersPBcastcoLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS A2 press Parts Manual

Boolit Master

RCBS A2 press Parts Manual

Does anyone have a copy of the RCBS A2 press Instruction Manual that has the exploded parts diagram? I would very much appreciate a scan or Xerox copy of that manual.

RCBS has the A4 on their website but not the A2 !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

Have four of the A-2s but no manual
    If one is located, lets scan it and post it please
    Thanks
    Mike

I have and A2 as well. Why would you need a parts diagram? A ten second look will tell you all you need to know. They are very simple machines.

Huntington's did sell some parts for the A2, they might be a source of instructions as well.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I have the RCBS PDF parts diagrams, 3rd Ed..... I am not familiar with the A2 description though, don't see it in there.

Doug

Boolit Master

The A-2 is the Grand daddy of the Rock Chucker

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar:

Thank you for the suggestion !
    I have four A2 presses but one is missing the “ram extension/shell holder thingy” that is pinned to the main ram. I wanted the parts blowup to determine its correct name and RCBS part number. I looked at all of mine for ten seconds but that information was not immediately forthcoming ! Please take a quick look at yours and see what you come up with !

I called RCBS but they do not have a parts list and were unable to figure out what I was talking about. A call to Huntington customer service directed me to what sounded like a curry bar in Mumbai ! No help there either. A2s are just not that common I guess. The ram on my A4 is a completely different design. Luckily a member here on the Forum not only had the part name [“Shell Holder Ram”] and part #09176 but also had a NIB extra and is sending it right away ! All is well !

I am working in the Glass Mountains and near Eagle Pass this summer. How about a beer at Railroad Blues or Crystal Bar in Alpine!

Best Regards,

Jerry Lewis “GLL”
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I know the part you are talking about, and doubt if you will find one. It should not be much of a chore to make one from a Rockchucker ram or from another make of press. It appears to be held into the larger bottom ram by a pin. The top ram your are looking for has an outside diamter of 0.834 and a length of 2 1/4 " above the top ram. I don't know how far down into the bottom larger ram it goes. You can measure that on your press.

It it milled at the top for a regular snap in shell holder with a "C" type retaining clip like The Rockchucker. The A2 ejects the spent primers down though the ram assembly and out the bottom into a bucket. If you want to deprime on the press, you would need to drill or bore out top ram to allow the primers to fall. The top ram has the standard cut out for a primer arm if you want to prime on the press.

Anybody with a lathe could shorten the RC ram to the required length, bore it out for the primers to fall, turn the bottom to fit the bottom ram hole and drill the holes for the pins. Should not be much of a trick.

But you know all of this as you have four of these great preses.

I went to undergraduate school at Sul Ross in Alpine. Hunted all over the Glass and Chalk Mountains. Great country, but driving 600 miles for a beer is a bit far.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

What you want is the shell holder RAM

HMMMM
    Just called RCBS at the number below, pressed 2 when the recording began
    and got a very nice lady.
    I told here I needed the shell holder RAM for an A-2
    She said she had one and would send it right out.
    Also said that she did not have many parts for the A-2s left

Mike

RCBS Operations
    605 Oro Dam Blvd
    Oroville, CA 95965
    1-800-533-5000
    Last edited by skeettx; 05-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Skeetx..Rush out an buy a lottery ticket. This is your lucky day!

Skeettx...No, it's not your lucky day, You obviously missed the warning yesterday that having more than 3 A2 presses will cause a piece of the moon to fall off and crash into your reloading room. Luckily, for you, if you take one of those over to Dumas and leave it with my good friend there, I'll pick it up from him next time I come up from the Hill Country and you can avoid having a hole in your roof or hitting the lady of the house. See what a nice guy I am to help you in your time of need. Might want to hurry up about it, though, as I'm seeing meteor showers to the north.

Boolit Master

NO one has a good buddy in Dumas
    You must be mistaken

I would bet he would keep it and say I never took it there

Why would ANYBODY want to go to Dumas???

Boolit Buddy
    You must be mistaken

I've heard most folks there are friendly, but there are a few old soreheads.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    You must be mistaken

I'll have you know, sir, that I learned the mechanics of a Maidenform bra in the backseat of a 57 Ford in that little town.

Boolit Master

Was the car new at that time?

My first car was a '52 Pontiac

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Was the car new at that time?

My first car was a '52 Pontiac

Mike
    No, that was about 1965, my sophomore year. I also had a 56 Chevy at the time that someone gave me. Then, the next year, my mother bought a new 66 Buick Riviera with the 425 c.i engine. I got into a lot of trouble in Amarillo on the weekends racing that thing. One night, after avoiding the Amarillo PD, I hightailed it back home only to have the sheriff of Moore County waiting for me at the county line. He let me go after a good *** chewing. I promised him I'd stay out of Amarillo. At least he didn't call my mother. That would not have been a pleasant experience.

Boolit Master

Since you do NOT have an A-2 for reloading
    What are you presently using for the big stuff?
    Mike

Keep rubbing salt in the wounds, sir

I still use the same Texan c-press I bought in 1970 for most things and while I've had to put a piece of pipe for a cheater handle on it a few times when I was young and dumb, I've managed not to break it through the years. I don't have to do that anymore as a good friend in Tyler gave me a big C-H 201 he wasn't using about 25 years ago. I own/owned a Rock Chucker briefly, but a friend of mine who has a commercial reloading business in the Houston area started getting orders for some wildcats based on the 375 Weatherby case. His machines were all Dillon progressives and big commercial machines, so he borrowed the press to make them and has kinda assumed ownership of it. Which I don't mind as he's done a lot for me during the years. I figure one of these days he'll be through with it and give it back.

Boolit Master

Let me know when you are going to be in the Amarillo area.
    I have the keys to the skeet, indoor pistol, outdoor rifle and pistol ranges
    We can PLAY
    I am loading 45ACPs today on the Dillon 1050 large primer set-up

Mike

Boolit Master

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I sure do dislike the Federal 45ACP cases with the small primers !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Messes up the speed on the Dillon
    Mike

Mike, thanks for the invite, I'll bring my 28 gauge. We're going on vacation in early October and may be passing through Amarillo. My uncle used to work for Pantex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast