RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: herter's 22lr revolver

Banned

herter's 22lr revolver

my son was given(from his grandpap) a herter's 22lr revolver from west germany a few years ago. he shot it many, many, many times. he also cleaned it many, many, many times. until the other day. he was shooting the revolver and it was the third or fourth round when all of the sudden he was hit in the forehead. after he was done with the yelling(his ), he noticed that his revolver was missing a back sight. then he noticed the crack in the frame(i pointed the crack in the pictures). he then unloaded the revolver and he got on his knees to find the back sight, which he did.

my son brought the gun to me to show me what he did. i believe he was using 40gr rn in remington( could be federal). he is going to try and find the case. he claims the case was split.

herter's was bought out some time ago and i'm not sure that warranty(which i'm i'm sure that it is long discontinued) isn't worth much of anything. but if he finds the case then i'll tell remington( or federal) about it. i figure i'll just put the revolver in the parts bin, minus the frame.

i'm guessing(i do that alot) that remington(or federal) put a double charge powder into the case. the barrel and the cylinder looks to be untouched, but i don't have a x-ray machine either.

Boolit Grand Master

Like I've always said "Remington ammo is like a box of chocolates"
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Takes something fairly catastrophic to crack the frame with a .22. Like the reason given.

Boolit Master
    Is it a steel frame gun ? I have seen some 22's with an alloy frame crack at the rear sight.

Boolit Buddy
    Im not sure if it helps but the 44 mag and 357 mag Herters revolvers were made by Sauer & Sons West Germany ...AKA Sig Sauer...The rumor was that they were ruger clones.
    Im glad to hear no one was seriously hurt

I bought several guns from Herters. Not sure if I had that model. The 22 SA I had, had grip frame
    coming off at a wierd angle for a traditional "Colt" style SA. The frame was pot metal of some kind.
    I have seen other cheap SAs crack at same point. I think this is caused by corrosive action caused
    by powder residue acting on the alloy. I would guess that it cracked on firing from hammer impact
    more than overloaded 22 cartridge. I don't see what the cracked frame would cause case to split.
    I once had to remove a bullet that was fired so far off time that 3/4s of it jammed between frame
    and cylinder. This was the result of owner "fanning" the hammer. Wasn't easy to get it out, it had
    Riveted cylinder to frame. I had to take out the hammer and tap cylinder pin out from the rear.
    Once removed put gun back together and it worked perfectly. I noticed the cylinder had firing pin
    tracks across the webb between chambers also from fanning. The make of this gun was German
    and it was marked Buffalo Scout. It's doubtful JP Sauer/ Hawes made these pistols. Herters had
    a DA 22 that had pot metal frame and it looked like Armeous pattern. Of all the guns Herters sold
    their 22 SA & DA revolvers as well as a O/U derringers were cheap imports. The Power Mag line
    of magnum SAs were of higher quality than both the 22s.

Boolit Master
    I also had one a S.A the rear sight was missing. They were a cheap made gun with pot metal frame. I bought mine real cheap never fired it. I resold it double my money. They were the type of gun if they break throw them away type not worth fixing no real value of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I bought several guns from Herters. Not sure if I had that model. The 22 SA I had, had grip frame
    coming off at a wierd angle for a traditional "Colt" style SA. The frame was pot metal of some kind.
    I have seen other cheap SAs crack at same point. I think this is caused by corrosive action caused
    by powder residue acting on the alloy. I would guess that it cracked on firing from hammer impact
    more than overloaded 22 cartridge. I don't see what the cracked frame would cause case to split.
    I once had to remove a bullet that was fired so far off time that 3/4s of it jammed between frame
    and cylinder. This was the result of owner "fanning" the hammer. Wasn't easy to get it out, it had
    Riveted cylinder to frame. I had to take out the hammer and tap cylinder pin out from the rear.
    Once removed put gun back together and it worked perfectly. I noticed the cylinder had firing pin
    tracks across the webb between chambers also from fanning. The make of this gun was German
    and it was marked Buffalo Scout. It's doubtful JP Sauer/ Hawes made these pistols. Herters had
    a DA 22 that had pot metal frame and it looked like Armeous pattern. Of all the guns Herters sold
    their 22 SA & DA revolvers as well as a O/U derringers were cheap imports. The Power Mag line
    of magnum SAs were of higher quality than both the 22s.
    thats something to think on. maybe the hammer impact did it....

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure those Herter's .22s were made by HS (Herbert Schmidt). The frame was zinc alloy. They were sold under several different names, including the HS name.
    Heritage Rough Rider might be a descendant of it.

Boolit Master
    That doesn't seem like the type of damage I would expect from an overloaded case.