RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 280473 what an unusual bullet

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

280473 what an unusual bullet

I have several unique moulds . Nothing really exotic , an old Squibb design in a Cramer #45 for example .
    This one takes the cake with an almost rebated boattail , a long one , that works as a check shank . Not much good naked in an AR but an opportunity in bolt gun .
    Attachment 203881

More information about the bullet would maybe help me figure out what to do with this one .
    Last edited by Harter66; 09-10-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: A picture might help
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I believe it is a 125 grain bullet for .270 caliber (based on some internet searches)
    Hick: Iron sights!

These are <.280 @122.

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Wondering how this would shoot in a 270 Win rifle. Boat tail has me confused being cast. Do the gas checks fit and stay when sized to 279? If so, I'd be interested if you were to get rid of it.

Wouldn't a GC on a boat tail pretty much be useless for both intended. The GC is supposed to provide a harder base for the pressure; and it will not be sealing the bore. The BT is supposed to help with air flow around the bullet and would be interrupted by the GC lips.

I can certainly see the benefits of a BT on a cast bullet for certain uses, but not a GC-BT. Maybe I am missing something.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

A Hornady check seats tight at .280 .
    I'm sure there is some story behind this bullet .

If the second groove is used as a crimp groove the check should be right at the neck base in the 6.8 which leaves a very long shallow lube groove . In 700 to 1000 mph winds I would expect that the check would be stripped every time .

I have about 100 cast and aging so I guess I will write new history for this one .
    If it doesn't work for the 6.8 I have a 7×6.8 it could be paper patched to fit .

I wonder if maybe it wasn't a heeled bullet for something from Europe . With the 473 suffix it's not far behind a couple of 6.5s and ahead of a advertised for hollow base 45 Colts but is definitely a Minnie type fouling scraper bullet . I might think that it was a one shot wonder except that it came in a new /orange box with a non bar code label .

Boolit Master
    It looks like the little brother of the 311413.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one I used years ago for practice rounds and learning rounds for my son in a 270. Hornady gas checks fit fine. We shot hundreds of them with both medium and light loads. I still have the mold but haven't used it since I got other guns more suited to cast

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it is for a 270W. However, should be a good PP bullet for a 7x57 milsurp.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Darn it Larry . After all this time I was sure you would be among the folks that had real insight about it being some 27 cal Shutzen heeled bullet or something .........

What that guy say shoot it and find out for yourself .... At least it looks like a bullet that will use the check as bore scrapper .

Boolit Master
    You have reminded me of an odd one I have. A boattail 7mm mold I found several years ago, most likely made in Spain. Never messed with it other than casting samples since I still do not have any 7mm's, and did not get any info on it when I asked several years ago. It is next to a 7x57 case for scale.

Attachment 122228
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I have several unique moulds . Nothing really exotic , an old Squibb design in a Cramer #45 for example .
    This one takes the cake with an almost rebated boattail , a long one , that works as a check shank . Not much good naked in an AR but an opportunity in bolt gun .
    Attachment 203881

More information about the bullet would maybe help me figure out what to do with this one .
    It is for the .270 Winchester,I have one,it was the first bullet mould I purchased.I used Lyman gas checks first then Hornady gas checks,I think mine cast .2815"from the mould.