RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: slugs

Boolit Master

slugs

As the completed slug settles overnight.The wad seems to migrate and you can hear the powder rattle.Everything was nice and tight when finished.I might add that not all are doing this.

Here are the pieces and parts:

Federal Gold Medal (12ga) trimmed below the fold crimp.(fired hulls from the range)
    Trap Commander wad
    2 hard cards
    29 gr Universal
    209A Federal primer.
    Lee 7/8 oz slug.
    Roll crimp

So.....what might cause this? This is a good shooting setup for me.
    Would finger pressure vs press pressure make a difference,when installing the wad column? I have the press set up for about 30 lbs.Sometimes I think it may compress the wad,and if it did,it should stop more securely against the crimp.Fair assessment?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

They're not meant to be roll crimped on the thin wad petals. Don't trim and fold crimp. I guess I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with the extra work involved??
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I like the look of a roll crimp.That combination,which I got from you,thanks again BTW.Is a really accurate one,in my gun.But how does the crimp effect the wad migration? If that is the "word" I'm searching for.And if that is actually what it is doing.

Boolit Master

the only thing i can think is not enough roll crimp to hold the wad under the proper compression. as long as the components measure up then the roll crimp should hold it, think about the shorty shells you can buy.

You need a a complete 180 degree roll and a depth of 0.08" for the crimp to lock itself in place - more, if the components are under pressure. You may be able get away with less, but then you'll have to generate friction heat during the crimp cycle for the plastic to soften and take the spring-back out of the the crimp.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Opened some shells yesterday,most wads were compressed or distorted in some way.Decided that using the press for install is a no go,will just insert with finger pressure.

I have checked BPI,but no real answer.Is there an aftermarket hull that is as good/same as the gold medal? Someone besides me is digging thru the garbage at the range.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Opened some shells yesterday,most wads were compressed or distorted in some way.Decided that using the press for install is a no go,will just insert with finger pressure.

I have checked BPI,but no real answer.Is there an aftermarket hull that is as good/same as the gold medal? Someone besides me is digging thru the garbage at the range.
    If your wads are distorted at 30# of pressure try reducing the pressure setting on the press first. That might help. Most likely though, your wad column is too tall.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Have you tried using one card instead of two? Just curious as to why you need 2 cards under the slug?

Boolit Grand Master

Do you mean that the wad is no longer seated firmly on the powder? Or do you mean some powder sneaks past the powder cup and you can hear it rattling in the cushion section?

Boolit Master

not seated against powder,and part of base distorted,like it caught on something.I did make some changes.Not using press to seat wad and slug.I made a gauge (pencil line on a dowel) to help with all seating the same.So far that has helped..some.Of 25 yesterday,I had 3 that rattled and shot differently.Fold crimps are tearing petals at the same rate as the roll crimps.

Boolit Master

try adding the powder and then push in a wad, see if there is lose powder, if so your base and wad may not be a good match.

Boolit Master

Rancher,that's what I've been doing.I push until there is no rattle.But overnight they will develop a rattle.I've tried different wad heights,but I either get a pooched or collapsed crimp.Which is one of the reason's I like the roll crimp. I have managed at this point to get some good fold crimps,but still a small percentage of rattle.I can tell when I get fliers that the petals have torn.

Wads I'm using:
    12s3
    12s0
    12s4
    Trap commander from bpi
    all used with federal gold medal hulls.