Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358 Win project

Boolit Buddy

358 Win project

I have a Rem 700 in 243 that I plan to convert to 358 Win but I'm wondering about my options here. One of the plans for this rifle is an elk trip coming up in the next few years, right now it has a 18" tube but I have a 22" tube I've had just lying around that I was gonna do in a 243 AI that never panned out. Would switching to the 22" tube help get any extra range out of a 358 Win or should I stick with the 18" for compactness?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I built a 22” 358 on a Santa Barbara 98 .
    I feel , personally , that the gains are worth the extra bbl length in this particular case. I would have rather had a 9x57 but the stars didn't line up for me . There are several bullets that will make the 358 a 300 yd rifle and there's no problems with it at 200 with about any bullet you might select .

With that being said. What are your expectations for the hunt ? Open country or dark woods . Truck/quad or pack in . If you pack in , on foot or horse . Based on my limited elk country experience you'll get 2 shots long or or in your lap . With that I would recommend the longer bbl an pay the feet and whatever else at the end of every day in the field .

I didn't find a load with 2 suggested powders and went with a rather marginal powder for the cartridge and hit paydirt instantly . The 35-250 RCBS clocked 2150 fps and shot a group of 4 touching opening to an inch and a half which I'm blaming a lost GC on ,the loads also blissfully blow through 1/4 " crs at 100 yd. I wish I had a pig report but that didn't work out either .

In normal use of nominal loads 21" is about the apex of a 308 family cartridge , meaning that there is neither any gain for more bbl nor loss for fast lighter loads .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I built a 22” 358 on a Santa Barbara 98 .
    I feel , personally , that the gains are worth the extra bbl length in this particular case. I would have rather had a 9x57 but the stars didn't line up for me . There are several bullets that will make the 358 a 300 yd rifle and there's no problems with it at 200 with about any bullet you might select .

With that being said. What are your expectations for the hunt ? Open country or dark woods . Truck/quad or pack in . If you pack in , on foot or horse . Based on my limited elk country experience you'll get 2 shots long or or in your lap . With that I would recommend the longer bbl an pay the feet and whatever else at the end of every day in the field .

I didn't find a load with 2 suggested powders and went with a rather marginal powder for the cartridge and hit paydirt instantly . The 35-250 RCBS clocked 2150 fps and shot a group of 4 touching opening to an inch and a half which I'm blaming a lost GC on ,the loads also blissfully blow through 1/4 " crs at 100 yd. I wish I had a pig report but that didn't work out either .

In normal use of nominal loads 21" is about the apex of a 308 family cartridge , meaning that there is neither any gain for more bbl nor loss for fast lighter loads .
    Very good info thanks for that, as far as the hunt we don't know yet for sure we are still in the early stages of planning the trip. I do want to stretch the abilities of this cartridge as far as I can I have a 35 Rem for short range work this will be my long legs so to speak.

As much as I love short barrels- go with the 22". A shorter one is just a hacksaw and crown away.

Boolit Bub
    I would consider a moderator with could dictate a shorter barrel depending on the desired balance.

Use the 22" barrel you have, worst case you can cut it down and crown it.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    You will probably pick up about 100 fps with the 22 incher.

I dont see much problem with the longer barrel for a big game rifle.

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 1895, Marlin 444 and Savage 99 in 358 all have 22" barrels. All have shot bull elk in the timber in the last 5 years, all have been carried at altitudes above 9000 feet, all have been carried horseback in saddle scabbards. The 22" barrel is fine the way it is. Muzzle blast, muzzle flash and noise take a big jump from 22" to 18". I've used shorter, but 22" works well. I would not shorten. The extra barrel may be beneficial when shooting offhand or kneeling, adding a bit of weight to steady your hold.

The 358 Win is very efficient you will not loose much velocity probably only 50-60 fps going from 22 to 18". Not enough to notice any measurable performance difference. I have 15" XP 100's, 20" & 22" 350 Rem mags, the measured difference in velocity between the 15" XP-100 and a 20" M SEVEN is 85 to 100 fps. This is with a 225 gr jacketed load near maximum pressure, comparatively the 358 Win's velocity loss would be less dramatic due to the smaller cartridge volume.

I love shorter bbl.'s when in the field. I really notice the difference elk hunting in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado between a 24" and a 20". Especially when climbing through timber. I see these guys on the hunting shows lugging around 9 lb rifles with 26" & 28" bbl.'s who evidently took the marketing propaganda as gospel.

Try this Powely Computer link:

http://kwk.us/powley.html

The results I have obtained using the calculator for my 350's and short 416 wildcat showed good correlation with actual chronograph measurements.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got three .358 Win rifles, one with 18.5" barrel and two with 22" barrels. My 760 pump rechambered to .358 Win has the 18.5" barrel and velocity loss to the two with 22" barrels amounts to 80 fps with the exact same loads. My other two .358's are a custom Remington 700 and a Ruger Hawkeye, both with 22" barrels. To date I've killed 19 Whitetails with 18.5" 760 pump and one with the Remington 700. Only two deer killed were not bang flops. One was a 200 gr Spitzer from the 700 and 19 were 760 kills using 200 gr RN HDY or RP Core-Lokts, one of which ran for an additional 30 yards after being hit. If God made a better deer killer than the .358 Win he kept it for himself...

358 Win

My current 358 is a Stevens 200 with a 22" rebored by JES. I couldn't be happier with it. He is a magician when it comes to barrel work, and a really nice guy to talk to as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a model 70 compact in 7-08 rem.
    not happy with that I bought a custom barrel from Pac-Nor @21"
    and it is now a 358 win
    I have killed elk and deer easily with it
    personally I would go with a 22 in barrel
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    According to Browning, my BLR 358 has a 20" barrel. But that's measuring from the bolt face. Measured from the front of the receiver, it's 19". It might make a difference if you ever want to take a rifle into Canada on a bear hunt. If I remember correctly, crossing the border requires a barrel length of 20" measured from the front of the receiver.

My JES .358 Rem 700 kept the 22" length of the original .243. I put period factory irons on & sighted them in @ 50yds. I put a Burris 6X on it as well. My first load with 200gr Sierra RN over IMR 4895 shot 3 in 3/4"@100yds. You will love it. Call JES.

Boolit Master
    Just reading about this build is fun for me. I think the OP will end up with one very fine rifle, capable of easily downing anything on the North American continent.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I'm going to try some RCBS 200 gr fp and my jacketed loads tomorrow Lord willing. Best , Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    Just wanted to update this thread I packaged up my .243 this afternoon and the missus is going to send it off tomorrow. Talked to Jessie today and he said his turnaround time is one week and at worst two, gonna be like a kid waiting on christmas.

Boolit Master

You're going to be very satisfied with JES and your 18" barrel. Don't fret!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Of course we expect pics. You will love that cartridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Of course we expect pics. You will love that cartridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Pics will follow but I probably wont get around to shooting it for another month its just too hot out there for shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast