Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Front sight champions help needed

Banned

Front sight champions help needed

I need to purchase a new front sight for my new S&W 629-6 hopefully that would be one of those high rez jobs. Also, I need to purchase a front sight again a high rez for my 2001 Ruger Super Red Hawk that I just purchased.

I was looking at a high rez RHLW01 for the Ruger if it will work.

Boolit Master
    I have zero knowledge concerning the S&W. But for the Ruger,,, who makes the RHLW01?

Only your eyes can tell you if a different sight will be what you need to work. Everybody has different requirements. Some folks find fiber optics excellent,,, while others cuss them. Some like a fine gold bead,,, while others prefer an all black square notch post. Some folks just paint their sights,,, while others go to elaborate lengths for a custom look. Only you can determine what you need.

Boolit Master

Many S&W models have the front sight integral to the ramp and the barrel. Some (particularly older models) have a pinned in front sight. The pinned in sights are easy to replace, but the integral versions need to be filled or milled off before a replacement sight is installed.

Which style do you have? I believe that your 629-6 probably has a pinned in front sight, but some clarification would help.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 09-11-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I have zero knowledge concerning the S&W. But for the Ruger,,, who makes the RHLW01?

Only your eyes can tell you if a different sight will be what you need to work. Everybody has different requirements. Some folks find fiber optics excellent,,, while others cuss them. Some like a fine gold bead,,, while others prefer an all black square notch post. Some folks just paint their sights,,, while others go to elaborate lengths for a custom look. Only you can determine what you need.
    I like the way these sights can collect some light. Its a ebay item so I probably shouldn't post it but it should be easy enough to find.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Many S&W models have the front sight integral to the ramp and the barrel. Some (particularly older models) have a pinned in front sight. The pinned in sights are easy to replace, but the integral versions need to be filled or milled off before a replacement sight is installed.

Which style do you have? I believe that your 629-6 probably has a pinned in front sight, but some clarification would help.
    Attachment 203900

Picture of front sight. I guess its pinned. Its a new gun also

Boolit Master

As suspected 6bg16ga. S&W probably has different height sights for zero purposes. Perhaps an E-mail to their customer service would help. I've always liked Patridge front sights for a good black and square sight picture. I had them on a couple of different S&W revolvers that I used for target shooting and I also found them (still do) the best for field use other than at dawn and dusk.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I have tried many sight combinations, colors and what not and have found a plain black patridge style is the best in more shooting conditions. That stupid red insert S&W uses is an abomination as far as I'm concerned.
    Getting ready to change out my front sights on my M69's soon. Already have the front sights.
    I'm not color blind either.

+1 on black sights. If they get shiny I've got more matches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    As suspected 6bg16ga. S&W probably has different height sights for zero purposes. Perhaps an E-mail to their customer service would help. I've always liked Patridge front sights for a good black and square sight picture. I had them on a couple of different S&W revolvers that I used for target shooting and I also found them (still do) the best for field use other than at dawn and dusk.
    You seem to be well versed on sights. Do you happen to know how to remove the new 629-6's front sight? I haven't examined it yet but some info on the web says its spring loaded and other info says its pinned. Its a 2017 model.

Boolit Master
    "I had them on a couple of different S&W revolvers that I used for target shooting and I also found them (still do) the best for field use other than at dawn and dusk."

Just as I said. No sight is perfect. But the Patridge is the best I've found overall.

Boolit Master
    44Mag#1;

Indeed!
    I replaced the front sight on me M69.
    I went to the next Higher front sight to facilitate shooting 300gr+ bullets. MidwayUSA was out of plain posts, so I went with plain serrated ramp.

I likewise replaced both the front and rear blades on a M329Ti I had.
    I also had to replace the front blade on my M625-MG in order to get a correct zero with 275gr RCBS SAA SWC.

Banned
    I finally bit the bullet and check my front sight on the new 629 and found it was spring loaded and did come out easily and with about 20 minutes of search time I found two different high rez front sights that interested me. I found a red and a green front sight with .250 height which should work fine.

Boolit Master

Glad you found the solution 6Bg6ga.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf