Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stuck minie ball

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Eddie Southgate;4160864]Pavia ,
    It would take a whole 5 minutes to do as bedbugbully suggested and remove it the correct way . Pad your vise jaws , take a crescent wrench and remove your breech plug , then take a hickory rod and drive the Minnie out the way it came . When you put the plug back in make sure you rub a little grease or use some sort of anti seize on the threads and be sure the top of the plug and top of the barrel are matched up . It is really simple to do .

You other guys : Yall are nuts . 5 minutes with a vise and a wrench to fix the problem the correct way and yall advise oil and pumps or special made nipples and air tanks or hand filing special key hole saws ! How bout sharing some of whatever yall are smoking with the rest of us .

Eddie, NOT ALL OF US HAVE ACCESS TO A FULL BLOWN MACHINE SHOP WITH FANCY TOOLS THAT WOULD MAKE A NASCAR PIT CREW JEALOUS. LIGHTEN UP.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    [QUOTE=triggerhappy243;4161554]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Pavia ,
    It would take a whole 5 minutes to do as bedbugbully suggested and remove it the correct way . Pad your vise jaws , take a crescent wrench and remove your breech plug , then take a hickory rod and drive the Minnie out the way it came . When you put the plug back in make sure you rub a little grease or use some sort of anti seize on the threads and be sure the top of the plug and top of the barrel are matched up . It is really simple to do .

You other guys : Yall are nuts . 5 minutes with a vise and a wrench to fix the problem the correct way and yall advise oil and pumps or special made nipples and air tanks or hand filing special key hole saws ! How bout sharing some of whatever yall are smoking with the rest of us .

Eddie, NOT ALL OF US HAVE ACCESS TO A FULL BLOWN MACHINE SHOP WITH FANCY TOOLS THAT WOULD MAKE A NASCAR PIT CREW JEALOUS. LIGHTEN UP.
    Trigger,

You would laugh yourself sick if you saw my shop .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Big???????????? I just do not belittle someone for not having access to a full machine shop. There are some here that live in apartment and do not even so much as have a carport.... Let alone a garage. "improvise"

You don't need any special tools to push a stuck load out of a ML . Standard grease fittings come in S.A.E. & metric threads that match nipple threads. You can use a hand grease gun to push the load 0ut, they will produce about 6000 psi
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    You don't need any special tools to push a stuck load out of a ML . Standard grease fittings come in S.A.E. & metric threads that match nipple threads. You can use a hand grease gun to push the load 0ut, they will produce about 6000 psi
    Depending on the gun a guy might need a special grease zerk. The snail on the TC/Green Mountain barrels need a extended zerk. A 1" one will work perfect.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    If you can get your hands on a high pressure air tank, remove the nipple it will put considerably more pressure than a CO2 cartridge. CO2 is limited to 852.8 PSI, high pressure air tank are rated much higher than that. Be very careful, bullet leaving the barrel under 3000 PSI will be a deadly projectile.

Another option would be steam, fill the barrel with water, plug nipple hole, slowly heat the barrel until it reaches boiling temperature. Water volume expands 1600 X when it turns to steam.
    This steam idea seems like a very interesting way to approach it. Do you have experience with this or do you know of any folks who have actually done it?

Boolit Man
    In good Cast Boolit tradition... I put the stuck slug back in the pot and made a new minie ball...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    In good Cast Boolit tradition... I put the stuck slug back in the pot and made a new minie ball...
    Atta boy.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=triggerhappy243;4161554]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Pavia ,

triggerhappy243,Ha ha ha,yes you are right,not all have super dooper Tools at hand.Sometimes a Plug will come out but other times they can be a bugger.I enjoyed the humor,best regards.

Boolit Master
    Taking a breach plug out is not light job. I have seen a guy with the correct tool and a vise try to do it. The barrel was screwed up bad by the time he was done.
    A grease zerk that was less than 2 dollars and a little bit of grease will push out any stuck bullet with NO chance of messing up the barrel.

Boolit Man
    UPDATE... My buddy and I went out shooting again today with his Springfield (and my Jaeger flintlock). He was able to fire all day no problem with the lubed minie balls I cast for him with the Lee mold. Very enjoyable day and we have a new blackpowder fan...

The moral of the story: Life teaches us that in any situation a little lube makes things go much smoother...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123