Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger Gunsite 450 Bushmaster

Boolit Master

Ruger Gunsite 450 Bushmaster

My very wonderful wife allowed me to purchase one these fine rifles. I already have the 308 Gunsite Scout and thought why not own "Thumper" too.

The rifle is handi easy to shoulder and has little recoil with 200 grain X-bullets.

Tonight I loaded a batch of the 300 grain RF GC from a Lee mould lubed with Javelina red. Sized to .452. Load is 29.6 grains of IMR4227.

I mounted a Scout Scope as I prefer those of hunting. This gun has a nice piece of walnut and the adjustable length of pull allows for setting it up to my build. Ruger with another fantastic little rifle that should be great for anything up to and including elk.

Boolit Master
    That is pretty nice. I like that rifle too. How did it do on the targets when you were tinkering with it?

Boolit Master
    A buddy has one of the Ruger Ranch in this caliber, how is recoil with the heavier stuff. He will trade his off soon, never keeps anything long, may try to trade him out of it!!!

Boolit Master
    Shot 100 yard groups today. Started out with the 200 Grain XPB it grouped well 2-2.5" at 100 with a 2.5x Scout scope. Then the Lee 310 grain RF GC over 29.6 grains of IMR-4227 Shot very same size groups albeit had to adjust for the 14" drop compared to the 200 XPB. This gun is just accurate as my 308 Gunsite Scout.

Recoil = very little the muzzle brake does an excellent job holding that gun on target for follow up shots. I also have one on my 308 and wear electronic muffs when hunting so no issue for me personally.

This is fantastic handling little Thumper. The caliber is perfect for 200 yards and under hunting. I also would not hesitate to hunt up to and including Elk with this rifle. I have taken many Elk over the years this rifle with that heavy cast will do the job well.

I absolutely give this rifle and caliber a 8 out of 10. The only knock is commercial ammo availability. But if you reload it's a great versitile caliber and perfect for loading Boolits.

Boolit Master
    I went and loaded up some 270 grain Keith HP PB that are from a Mihec mould and loaded them over 29.6 grains of IMR 4227. they grouped the best of anything I shot so far. The rifles bore is clean and shiny. This little rifle is just a boolit shooting machine and to say I am pleased would be an understatement ...... I wish I had some feral hogs to try these HP cast boolits on.

Good review, especially with the cast option. I bet it would make a great WI Black Bear thumper too. Thank you for helping me spend my $....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    Good review, especially with the cast option. I bet it would make a great WI Black Bear thumper too. Thank you for helping me spend my $....
    it would make great bear thumper. But it takes 12+ years to get a tag here.

And you are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post

And you are welcome.
    Yes Sir, I'm on year 9 of that preference point system....I'm originally a Cheesehead before rolling out on Uncle Sam's wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    So what is the best place for a someone to go for a black bear hunt? Or more accurately, the most cost effective?
    Promised my oldest son a bear hunt when he graduates college. That is if I have any money at all by the time he graduates.
    He is in his second year so I have about 2 1/2 years to get it together. He made the Deans list last semester.
    So he may actually hold me to that promise.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Canada is probably your best best.

I waited 12 years and got a tag for Upper Michigan it's going to waste because the guys up there want $1100.00-1800.00 for baiting up a stand. Not dissing them they need to make a living but I am not paying for a small bear with that kind of money to feed a giant raccoon. So that tag is going to waste.

I actually am baiting a bear up for a kid who's dad transferred his tag. I am charging ZERO. I have some nice bears coming in one is at least 400 lbs he is a real porker. I am having as much fun doing that as going to Michigan to shoot one.

Now back to rifles; I think the Ruger American rifle in 450 Bushmaster is a fantastic deal. The Gunsite rifle is real fantastic but no need to spend that kind of money. I think this caliber is really a dandy caliber for Midwest whitetailed and close cover (scrub oak) Elk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg