Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Crosman 2240

Boolit Master

Crosman 2240

I just got a 2240. Not for myself but as a gift for a friend.
    I had not considered buying one for myself since I already have four .22 CO2 pistols that are respected vintage guns and highly accurate.
    After test firing this 2240 I've decided that this is also a must have CO2 pistol.
    Accuracy and velocity are on par with my upgraded S&W 78g and MkI Crosman Ruger replica. The 2240 is actually better balanced than those guns and easier to hold on target. My vintage 38T is the best balanced and if anything more accurate but somewhat less powerful than the others mentioned.

The 2240 like other Crosman single shot pistols is one that is very friendly to modifications and custom builds, but as is straight out of the box I believe its the best buy of any modern manufacture CO2 pistol.

I was looking rather hard at a 2240 the other day. I think that would be my pick if i was getting into co2 guns. It sure seems to have a lot of good reviews.

Boolit Master
    The older vintage Benjamin and Crosman single shot CO2 pistols are potentially as good or better but are often much more expensive to aquire and in need of a complete overhaul to be reliable.

I'd much prefer an all metal (except grips) gun. A metal breech is available but increases the price considerably.
    The method of cocking the striker is a major difference between the 2240 and its predecessors . the older guns had a separate cocking knob and could be loaded without first cocking the gun and carried loaded but uncocked. The safety is simple and fairly sturdy but not fool proof, so that point goes to the older designs.

From what I've read the older guns had less velocity, but I can't be sure if that's true in all cases.

The 2240 has at times been ugraded to deliver more than 500 FPS with the standard 14+ grain pellets, reducing shot count of course.
    Even at its present circa 440 FPS its a adequate rat killer though possibly not powerful enough to kill cleanly much of the time.

A rat running about after being hit is not always a sign that its still alive. I blew the top of the head off one with its entire brain popping out on the ground and it ran in circles for about thirty seconds. Their primitive nervous system allows the body to continue to act on the last command the brain gave it before death for a remarkably long time.

I'm fairly sure the 2240 would be adequate for cotton tail rabbits but probably not adequate for jack rabbits. Smaller raccoons shouldn't be a problem with a well placed shot but old bandits can reach the size of a dog and be very tough to put down.

In any case hunting shots should be limited to the shooters ability to deliver headshots or at least neck breaker hits to avoid unnecessary suffering.