RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chili/Soup/Stew thread

Moderator Emeritus

You aren't kidding about letting the powder settle! My homemade chili powder has habenero in it, thai bird chili's, serrano... I popped the lid on the coffee grinder to soon when doing the habenero... eyes watering, nose running, coughing... load that stuff in a paintball and it would be effective crowd control if fine ground so it floats in the air.

We had left over household soup last night with cornbread. There is no recipe, just start with some tomatoes and add left overs from the fridge, some potatoes and anything else you like.

Ya'll are making me hungry just reading about this good food.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    You aren't kidding about letting the powder settle! My homemade chili powder has habenero in it, thai bird chili's, serrano... I popped the lid on the coffee grinder to soon when doing the habenero... eyes watering, nose running, coughing... load that stuff in a paintball and it would be effective crowd control if fine ground so it floats in the air.
    I can relate, I had a friend that found out I had a juicer and brought me some jalepeno's, wanted them juiced... Do NOT do something like that, it was very painful, pepper sprayed the whole room...

Beef & Beer Stew

3 slices of bacon - diced
    4 onions - in 1/2" wedges
    1 T oil
    2 lbs beef - 1" cubes - elk venison is better yet, deer doesn't work as well for some reason.
    3 T flour

Brown all of these, and then add:

2 t brown sugar - I use only one
    1 T cider vinegar
    3/4 t salt
    1/4 t fresh ground BP - I use 1/2 t
    12 oz dark beer - Modelo Negra works well, is easy to find, and another bottle or three washes it down nicely.
    1/2 t dried thyme leaves

Bake all for 2 hours at 350

I know that it's missing some traditional stew ingredients, but try it as is before you add anything.
    Last edited by Landy88; 09-14-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    We had left over household soup last night with cornbread. There is no recipe, just start with some tomatoes and add left overs from the fridge, some potatoes and anything else you like.

Ya'll are making me hungry just reading about this good food.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
    That's what we call "Clean-Out Stew".
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

Fridge clean out soup... whatever has been in there a couple days... although these days I try to not make things that make to many leftovers....

Banned
    MaryB,

As the late Paul Crume of THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS famously said: If it has beans in it, it ain't chili.

Btw, chili was invented by San Antonio's CHILI QUEENS about 1830 to feed the flood of single men, who came to The Alamo City seeking free land, a Latina wife & in many cases, a NEW start.
    (A bowl of chili with tortillas, onions & coffee cost "one small Spanish silver coin" in SEP 1935, according to the BEJAR EXPRESS.)

TEXAS RED is believed to have been originally based on a COMANCHE recipe that used horsemeat, masa, water & dried chilies as the main ingredients.

yours, tex

Moderator Emeritus

Yup my traditional chili with hand chopped chuck is bean free, as is my chili dog chili made with ground beef. But I like to stretch the meat supply sometimes and beans are cheap! Plus I like pintos when they soak up that chili liquid.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Yup my traditional chili with hand chopped chuck is bean free, as is my chili dog chili made with ground beef. But I like to stretch the meat supply sometimes and beans are cheap! Plus I like pintos when they soak up that chili liquid.
    The good people of Kentucky put Spaghetti in their Chili to make it stretch. I just can't bring myself to eat it that way.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Rick N Bama; MaryB,

I cannot imagine that those good folks in KY know much about chili.
    (I was once stationed there with the MPs at Ft Knox & found NO decent Tex-Mex anyplace.)

NO self-respecting Texican would even consider putting beans/pasta into chili. = We often serve pinto/black beans WITH chili. = That's where the "chili sets" that have a tray with TWO bowls & a pair of spoons came from.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Rick N Bama; MaryB,

I cannot imagine that those good folks in KY know much about chili.
    (I was once stationed there with the MPs at Ft Knox & found NO decent Tex-Mex anyplace.)

NO self-respecting Texican would even consider putting beans/pasta into chili. = We often serve pinto/black beans WITH chili. = That's where the "chili sets" that have a tray with TWO bowls & a pair of spoons came from.

yours, tex
    lol guess I ain't self-respecting , no arguements here. Beans are just cheaper than beef, I find it hard to believe this wasn't true back in 'the day' as well.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    DerekP Houston,

IF pasta/beans being dumped into chili isn't bad enough, some places "way up yonder" put shaved pieces of CHOCOLATE in what they call chili. = YETCH.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-16-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    DerekP Houston,

IF pasta/bean being dumped into chili isn't bad enough, some places "way up yonder" put shaved pieces of CHOCOLATE in what they call chili. = YETCH.

yours, tex
    That sounds disgusting.....at least to me. I bet they make tofu chili in California though (looking at you OS OK!)
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    DerekP Houston,

I know for a fact that the folks in "Duh Pepul's Republick of Kalifornication" add guacamole dip, mayonnaise, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, chopped scallions & a bunch of other stuff to what they CLAIM is "chili". = I was once stationed with HQUSAMTMC in LA County.
    (I must admit that the BEST Cambodian food that I've ever eaten was in San Pedro, in a "hole in the wall joint" that only had 4 stools & 3 tables for 4. = My then GF & I had lunch with Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward one day. = He asked me very politely if they could join us at table, as there were NO empty tables. = Rachel said, "Oh indeed you may." - Nice guy & lady, too.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-17-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    To All,

BTW, REAL Mexican food in the USA is "where you find it". = When I was stationed in Baltimore, MD during Desert Shield, of all places, I was told that there was a GREAT Mexican café out near John's Hopkins hospital.

YEP, GREAT/authentic Mexican there. = Turns out that a young female MD from JHHC went to Acapulco on vacation for a month, met a YM on the beach, fell in love, married him there & insisted that he return to B'more with her.
    Turns out that he was the Head Chef at a hotel in Mexico City & a few months after he came to the USA they opened a café in Charm City.
    (I'd bet money that that place is the ONLY decent place in MD to have Mexican food.)

yours, tex

Moderator Emeritus

I bought one of those mini crock pots...I think it's 1.5qt ?
    It is perfect for Bachelor chili.

Bachelor chili
    There isn't much to it, I use whatever leftover meat is in the frig, roast pork or roast beef prefered.
    One 15oz can of chili beans...that is beans (pintos or navy or ???) with chili powder in the liquid.
    Some chunk tomatos, fresh or canned.
    a tablespoon of tomato paste
    chili powder
    garlic, since I grow garlic I use fresh, but garlic powder is fine.
    fresh course ground black pepper
    Cayenne powder to taste
    salt to taste (optional)

Put it all in the mini crockpot, including the canned bean liquid...but NOT including any liquid from the canned tomatoes, if you aren't using fresh.

I start this early in the morning before breakfast and then I have lunch and supper ready when needed.

PS, this could be done with a small pot on the woodstove as well, double-boiler style if your stove is a HOT one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I love to add dumplings in my stews ...

Easy Dumplings for Soups or Stews

1-1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
    1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
    1 Tablespoon (heaping) Baking Powder
    1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    1-1/2 cup Half-and-half
    2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Parsley or 1 Teaspoon of Sage (optional) or both
    Salt as needed

Mix all of the dry ingredients and then add the 1/2 and 1/2 and mix until you have a slightly dry dough. Add to soups or stews by heaping tablespoons and put the lid back on and let them simmer for another 15 minutes or more.

(The cornmeal helps them to hold their shape so that they don't fall apart.)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Moderator Emeritus

Beef heart stew

1/2 a beef heart cleaned and cubed
    Chopped onion
    Chopped garlic
    Rendered fat from fat trimmed form the heart, do this first and render it while cleaning sinew/veins from the heart. I sliced the fat 1/4" thick and put it in the dutch oven on low heat.

Brown the meat in the rendered fat with the onion, add the garlic towards the end so it doesn't burn
    Add water to cover
    Add Beef Base(Better Than Bullion) to taste
    Pepper to taste

Simmer until the meat starts to get semi tender then add

Peeled and cut up carrot
    Peeled and cubed potato

Simmer until veg is tender
    Thicken with method of choice(I use cornstarch)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12