Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chili/Soup/Stew thread

Moderator Emeritus

Chili/Soup/Stew thread

With fall coming and a cool day I thought a bowl of chili would be tasty.

1 medium onion chopped
    2 small cloves of garlic
    bacon fat(maybe a tablespoon)
    Pound of hamburger(doing quick chili, slow chili I use hand chopped chuck roast)
    1 beer
    Pint tomato sauce
    tablespoon beef base
    pint of cooked pinto beans
    Chili powder to taste(I used maybe 1/3 cup mild and a teaspoon of my super hot)
    Salt to taste(watch this beef base adds a lot of salt)
    Water to cover

Melt bacon fat and add onion and cook until half done, add hamburger and break it up and brown it. When the hamburger is almost browned add the garlic and mild chili powder and cook until the chili powder is fragrant. Then add the beer, tomato sauce, beef base, cooked beans, water to cover and simmer until it thickens up a bit.

Moderator Emeritus

Makes my mouth water....probably have 20+ recipes for chili....one more will be added!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Got cornbread baking to serve with that????...dale

Right on Mary!

Soup season is starting.
    I like a good vegetable beef myself.

I prefer to start with something with a bone in it. But other than that I am pretty unfussy. One of my best actually had half a ribeye and nothing else beef wise.

Pot half full of water, beef of whatever you have, good sprinkling of Adolph's meat tenderizer, dash of garlic. Add a large can of whole, diced, crushed tomatoes and a bay leaf. After an hour add up to a cup of barley.

And hour after that you can cut up 3-4 stalks of celery and drop in there. 3-5 carrots, half an hour later a couple of potatoes peeled, cubed. Turnip or rutebega if you got em.

About the time the meat starts falling off the bone I scoop out all the bones and beef.
    Remove anything you don't like. My wife does not like gristle, me I love it so I eat it off the cutting board. With the bones out and gone dice the meat up small and add it back in.

At this point you should have 3-5 hours of simmering and it is starting to get good.
    You can add any vegitable you like. But I like to finish with a half a head of cabbage cut into 1/4" strips and spoon length. Salt and pepper to taste. Cornbread of course on the side.

Going to have to go looking in the freezer for beef bones soon.

Banned
    I'm sure we have some threads on this already.

Banned
    There are a number of chili recipes. Why not simply bring back an old thread?

Banned
    didn't come out right but a simple search will yeald a number of different chili recipes so why not just add to them or make one big comprehensive chili thread?
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 09-10-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Dale, my cornbread has Black beans & Serrano peppers & whole kernel Corn, baked @400 in a 12 Cast iron Skillet lubed with Coconut Oil, spicy but delightful, it does not matter if you have Miller or Tecate to go with it, one or the other does fine, Fivefang

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    There are a number of chili recipes. Why not simply bring back an old thread?
    Why use 3 posts to repeat yourself? It's a recipe share, get over it.

Sounds delicious MaryB!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

Every soup/stew/chile recipe i have starts with sauteing onions and garlic. This looks great.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

1/3 cup of chili powder?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes 1/3 cup! This is chili, not tomato soup! One I am using is pretty mild so it is not strong at all.

No cornbread, trying to cut back a bit on breads...

Moderator Emeritus

Why dig back? This was a new made on the spot recipe using what I had on hand... We are sharing recipes here and if people have new ones let them fly! I rarely make anything the exact same way!

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm sure we have some threads on this already.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Yes 1/3 cup! This is chili, not tomato soup! One I am using is pretty mild so it is not strong at all.

No cornbread, trying to cut back a bit on breads...
    What brand chili powder do you prefer to use? I've found they vary quite a bit on flavor. Smoked paprika is my secret ingredient since chipotle is too spicy for the wife and kid.

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

I am using Penzey's which is salt free(why I can get away with 1/3 cup!). The mild is very bland on its own so plan to boost it if you like heat. Friend ate a bite of my chili and she was on fire... I thought this batch was rather mild... my homemade chili powder has 13 chili's in it, 6 of them very hot! I used a teaspoon of my homemade to add the heat.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...c-24/p-55/pd-s

Many grocery store chili powders are heavy on the salt so adjust accordingly!

Boolit Buddy

We had about 1/2 lb of Lean Hamburger left from another recipe on Saturday, tried this basic recipe tonite basically cut in half except we used a 29 oz can of Sun Vista Pinto Beans. We like beany Chili .... We served it topped with Shredded Mexican Style Cheese and made up a box of Krusteaz Cornbread. Thanx for the recipe, MaryB
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 09-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnfolk75 View Post
    We had about 1/2 lb of Lean Hamburger left from another recipe on Saturday, tried this basic recipe tonite basically cut in half except we used a 29 oz can of Sun Vista Pinto Beans. We like beany Chili .... We served it topped with Shredded Mexican Style Cheese and made up a box of Krusteaz Cornbread. Thanx for the recipe, MaryB
    I know it's not supposed to be a "Texan" thing...but I enjoy beans in my chili too don't tell Charlie! Cheap and filling, I prefer a course ground meat or chunks instead of the normal ground beef though.

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

If I am making chili dog chili I skip the beans, but for eating? Any better way to stretch a pound of hamburger to 3 meals than add a bunch of beans? LOL If I make classic Texas Red with hand chopped chuck I will skip the beans and serve them on the side.

Boolit Buddy

Agreed, MaryB. Chili Dawgs should be Beanless, BTW the batch we made yesterday was just enough for SWMBO & I. The Dawg just barely got a taste
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 09-14-2017 at 01:24 AM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

Below is my chili recipe, making the chili powder is complicated and involved and makes the process more drawn out but it really makes a huge difference, using store bought chili powder makes a great chili, the home made makes it incredible:

1TB Vinegar
    1TB Ground Cumin
    1/3-1/2 C Home made Chili powder (recipe below)
    ½ TB Salt
    1 Medium onion, finely chopped
    28 oz fine diced tomatos
    1 tsp Pepper
    10oz Chicken Stock (I usually replace this with a 16oz dark beer)
    2 beef bullion cubes
    2lbs coarse ground or diced beef, venison or your meat of choice
    1TB minced Garlic
    1tsp Oregano
    1TB Mesa flour
    1/2 cup water

2tsp Chipotle Chili Powder *
    1/2tsp Hot sauce*
    1/2tsp Cayenne Pepper*

In a large bowl combine beef, onions and garlic. in a Dutch oven or stockpot brown beef. Add all remaining ingredients except mesa and 1/2 cup water. Stir until well blended. Simmer covered for 2 hours stiring occasionally.

1/2 hour before time to eat combine mesa and 1/2 cup water and mix well, add to chili and stir. This is where you want to add beans if you want to use them.

Ingredients with a * after them should be left out for mild chili, all 3 of them will increase the spiciness, if you want it even spicier then increase the Cayenne pepper and hot sauce or change its type to a hotter one.

------------------------------
    Home made chili powder.

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    3 guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions
    Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast