Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Hurricane Irma

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Hurricane Irma

Irma is tearing through Florida right not . Please help by donating . The Hurricane Relief sticky above will give links to the Salvation Army and Samaritans Purse making it easy to help .
    As more local places to help happen in the stricken area we will add links to them . Many will need help in the morning please help all you can .

Thank you
    No turning back , No turning back !

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Been checking everyone I know down there none have electricity but all are safe.

Boolit Master
    The hurricane came through here,,but we lost power two days ago about 1300 or so. I was glad it wasn't hot outside. A lot of trees down, and subsequent power lines with them.. I saw on the news app that there was some severe outages between here and Eufaula. . The power finally came on @2130. We have no damage other than a broken flower pot.

I'm guessing that when it came through here it was a tropical storm, I never did see on the news app on the phone. Lori had purchased a Halo Bolt and it was nice to use it to charge the phones. We have a gas stove, so I made some instant coffee this morning. I hope I don't have to do that any time soon, it was awful!
    But we were safe throughout the storm. It was mostly variable winds and rain, not so heavy but to me it was very cold, being cold intolerant from the chemo. I had to break out my fleece jacket!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, hirricanes and tornadoes are very peculiar things. Our power went out @ 8:00 a.m. Monday. We just got the power back on a few minutes ago now. Whew! It's a BIG reminder how dependent we are on electricity and the power grid!!! But we were pretty well blessed, and there was no loss of life, and really, very little damage other than power outages. I don't believe we had any winds over about 50 mph. here in my locale, though the air port reportedly clocked a flurry of 60 mph. for a bit with gusts to 70. I doubt we had much more than 35 mph winds for most of it. Like I said, we were very blessed here.

Further south around Brunswick, they got hit a lot harder. Br. John who heads up the thrift store my wife volunteers at, just sent a truck from the food pantry down there. No restaurants are open anywhere, power's out almost everywhere, and many folks don't even have enough food! Naturally, they'll pass out the food gratis, but they could probably use a lot more trucks that size there.

My friend in the N. Ga. mtns. said a tornado went through near him and had trees across the main rods all over the place. Folks were out with chain saws, getting them cleared away. Mountain folk can REALLY survive! One of the trees fell into his neighbor's yard, and the idjit neighbor was upset about it, as if it was my friend's plan that it fall there! All over Ga. and FL., folks are demonstrating the best and worst of all that people do. Events like these are a really good "character checks" for any people. And both the best and some of the worst inevitably surface in these things. In other words, it's "situation normal," only more clear and graphic than usual. Folks will be folks, no matter where they are or what they're facing. Ain't it funny how that works? The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord, forever. Amen.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    The hurricane came through here,,but we lost power two days ago about 1300 or so. I was glad it wasn't hot outside. A lot of trees down, and subsequent power lines with them.. I saw on the news app that there was some severe outages between here and Eufaula. . The power finally came on @2130. We have no damage other than a broken flower pot.

I'm guessing that when it came through here it was a tropical storm, I never did see on the news app on the phone. Lori had purchased a Halo Bolt and it was nice to use it to charge the phones. We have a gas stove, so I made some instant coffee this morning. I hope I don't have to do that any time soon, it was awful!
    But we were safe throughout the storm. It was mostly variable winds and rain, not so heavy but to me it was very cold, being cold intolerant from the chemo. I had to break out my fleece jacket!
    Tom, the storm had been downgraded to a Tropical Depression by the time it passed through my little spot in the world up here in N. 'Bama. We had rain which started about mid-morning Monday and finally stopped yesterday(Wednesday) afternoon, but the rain was light enough that I only measured 2.78". We only had winds with enough speed to make our Pecan Tree shed a few more dead twigs. The story from my sister in law who lives near Atlanta was a bit different with her getting over 5" of rain along with winds high enough to topple several trees on her place.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin