Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 230gr H&G 34 - good for colt revolver, rifle and auto?

Boolit Buddy

230gr H&G 34 - good for colt revolver, rifle and auto?

Looking for a mold for a s&w colt revolver and a 45 colt Henry rifle.

Would a H&G 34 be a good mold for both of these and also sized for 45 auto handguns too?

Boolit Grand Master

The H&G #34 is an excellent choice for the 45 acp / 45 auto . It replicates the USGI ball profile.

For 45 Colt, that will depend on the revolver, the #34 is listed as .452 and some 45 Colts are .454 are larger. The revolver's throat and barrel dimensions will determine this.

The Henry rifle in 45 colt...I would not use it. I like a boolit with a flat meplate on the nose and a crimping groove that I can roll crimp into. With lever guns the primers sit on the boolit nose below it. A flat spot just sounds a whole lot safer than a round nose on that primer considering the magazine spring pressure plus the recoil when firing . I do not want a magazine full of rounds going off on the first shot.

I would get two moulds, The H&G #34 for 45 acp and a proper designed 45 Colt mould, reloading will be a whole lot simpler.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the post.

I have a good 200gr iron swc mold for 45acp already. It's heavy but a great mold. Think it's an old Lyman 452460. The flat point for colt bullets makes sense. It didn't even occur to me bout the points setting off the primers. I def want a 454 mold for
    The safe side. Allows me to size down.

Boolit Master
    +1 on suitability for pistol & revolver but not for rifles with tubular magazines.

You might look at the Lee 230gr. Truncated Cone. It has a large meplat that won't act like a firing pin on a primer in front of it. It has a rounded shoulder, which is unlikely to cause feeding problems in either an automatic pistol or carbine. It has a ballistic coefficient somewhat inferior to that of a Lee 230-2R LRN, but better than the 200gr RNFP, and much better than the 200gr. LSWC. BCs usually don't mean much at defensive pistol ranges, but for hunting or long-range handgunning, it can make a diff.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    You might look at the Lee 230gr. Truncated Cone. It has a large meplat that won't act like a firing pin on a primer in front of it. It has a rounded shoulder, which is unlikely to cause feeding problems in either an automatic pistol or carbine. It has a ballistic coefficient somewhat inferior to that of a Lee 230-2R LRN, but better than the 200gr RNFP, and much better than the 200gr. LSWC. BCs usually don't mean much at defensive pistol ranges, but for hunting or long-range handgunning, it can make a diff.
    That's what I went with, given like advice here, for an ACP do it, almost, all and an LC useful, if not as comprehensively so as for the ACP, mold.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

This is what I use in S&W and Ruger 45 revolvers and Rossi lever in 45 Colt. I use the plain base version but also have an older Lyman single holer with gas check I use for Ruger only loads.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=3511

EDIT: can't vouch for it in a Henry but it flows easily in my Rossi

Boolit Buddy
    How would this 230gr Keith mold do? $80 and a 5 cavort is pretty nice.

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...it=99999999999

I've got this in a 6 cav H&G mold from before WW2. I LOVE IT...! I've used it since I started IPSC back in the early 1980s.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    Thanks for the post.

I have a good 200gr iron swc mold for 45acp already. It's heavy but a great mold. Think it's an old Lyman 452460. The flat point for colt bullets makes sense. It didn't even occur to me bout the points setting off the primers. I def want a 454 mold for
    The safe side. Allows me to size down.
    The 452460 saw me through 2 decades of NRA Bullseye shooting. I even won a first place trophy in a G.I. service pistol match with it ( my only first place trophy)....great boolit .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The 452460 saw me through 2 decades of NRA Bullseye shooting. I even won a first place trophy in a G.I. service pistol match with it ( my only first place trophy)....great boolit .
    Gary
    I've discovered over the years just about any 185-200gr cast bullet on top of 4.0-4.5 grs of Bullseye gives me the best shot to shot accuracy in any handgun of any caliber I've hand loaded for.