Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toaster Oven

Boolit Master

Toaster Oven

Will a Toaster Oven work for PC coating (Baking)?

You bet. I think that's what 99% of us use.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Thanks Waco.

Boolit Bub
    You can get one at Walmart for less than $20. That's what I use.

Banned
    Toaster ovens will work for small batches, you tend to get different coloring due to irregular heating. For a little more $ you can get a convection oven that has an air circulating fan that heats the entire oven evenly and allow you to do larger even batches.

Regardless of which oven you get, you will need to check the heat setting (ALMOST ALL COUNTERTOP OVENS ARE OFF from the factory due to the design of the thermostat).

I put 2 simple ($3.00) oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf I'm baking on and adjust the oven setting until the thermometers read 400 degrees then I mark the oven dial and note the proper setting to reach 400.
    Many like to cover the floor of the oven with a heat retaining media to speed heat recovery time after opening the door. I use ceramic BBQ briquettes, others use first brick, chunks of metal or ....

Boolit Master
    Indeed! I too recommend convection. I run mine with a PID.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    Indeed! I too recommend convection. I run mine with a PID.
    Same here....I have a Hamilton Beach. Got it at Wally World for $69.00. It's a convection oven and I use a PID. I drilled a hole in the back of the oven and ran the long probe through it. It works really well. The whole thing makes an easy process even easier.
    [

Hit the second hand stores around you - you can find 'em cheap
    I retired my toaster oven and use counter top convection

I use a metal camping table and just set the bullets on parchment paper
    then drop the oven over the top of the whole works
    and start setting up on another paper and them move the oven again.

Almost bought one of these style

but I don't trust myself to move the
    trays without knocking over all the boolits.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Yep, I'm part of the 99% also. My B&D toaster was $19.99 from Wallyworld. Yes, it is small but works for me as I mainly do rifle CB's in it. Typical loads are 80 x 500gn CB's for my 458WM or 120 x 265gn for my 444 Marlin. I do stand these up on their bases. Higher density is possible but this is sufficient for my use.

The 2 things that I did to help getting good results were to verify the temperature setting and to pre-heat before adding the tray. The temperature knob was off by almost 50* low - I used my casting PID probe to measure.

My initial tests included watching when the powder gelled to see if all the CB's changed at the same time. This was to determine if there were cold or hot spots. None were observed so all is good. The powder I use came from Smoke and I set the timer to 20 minutes once gelling is observed.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I started out with a toaster oven but soon moved to a convection oven. It does make a big difference.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Banned
    ASrtful,

Just this weekend, I saw a convection oven at GOODWILL here in SA for 6.99.

yours, tex

Banned
    I also found a very nice Oster convection oven @ goodwill for $20. I will bake 18# of boolits at a time (9# on ea shelf)

I bought a conv pizza oven from Wally, $50 shipped to me. It has two racks, 12" deep, so I can do quite a few bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Pretty proud of this toaster I snagged at Goodwill after work Friday. Double rack, convection, gets up to 400 fast and holds it perfectly. Cost me FIVE dollars!

I have a cheap toaster oven from walmart and I tried it with some Hi-Tek. Terrible results. I have a pretty good collection of old appliances so I went and drug out an old oven I happened to have. It's been outside for years. I took the panel off the back and everything looked decent. Got a new cord, plugged it in and it works great. Every time I open the door the oven thermometer is right in the same place. The inside light still works and so does the timer on the stove. It's way better. I can fit like 7 lbs of bullets on one tray I made. Im going to make a couple more so I can get a cycle of bullets cooking, cooling, and drying. Once I get the hang of it I should be able to knock out thousands in a day. Which is good because coating isnt a particularly fun step in bullet making process.

Boolit Master

I finally decided that, if I am going to do this coating thing, I might as well do it right.

Two HYTEK molds were ordered from N.O.E. Bullet Molds and arrived a couple of days ago.

Images by Cast Bullet Design sofware

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_HTC310-173-FP_GC_BR5.Jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	204359 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_HTC459-500-SP_-Coated.Jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	204360

Today, I made the trip to Wallmart and purchased their Oster Convection Oven for $39.92 + tax. (less than a lube-sizing die for my Star Sizer)

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	204366

Brought the oven home, unpacked and plugged it in. Placed an oven thermometer on the rack, closed the door and then inserted my N.O.E. casting thermometer through the corner into the oven space, set the temperature dial precisely on the 400 mark, selected "Turbo", for the convection, then set back to watch the gauges.
    (both thermometers have been checked with my N.O.E. digital probe and are within 2 degrees of each other)
    In no less than 10 minutes, both thermometers had climbed to 402 degrees then slowly dropped back to 400 degrees and then held that temperature for the next 30 minutes.

Needless to say, I am well pleased. If the oven continues to perform like this, the investment is well worth while.

I have some powders from Smoke that I was playing around with before getting serious and, as soon as I can season my new molds in the new oven, I will report the results.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 09-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Bub
    I bought the same oven last spring and found the same temperature accuracy. My only complaint is that only one rack came with it.

Never thought about seasoning molds in it.

Boolit Master

More on my new oven and powder coating experience.

Today I had some time so the new oven was used to first season the new molds from N.O.E. Bullet Molds.

The molds were first scrubbed with a tooth brush and dish soap, thoroughly rinsed then placed in boiling water for 20 minuets then scrubbed and rinsed again.

After the last rinse, the molds were dried with paper towels to eliminate the chance of any water spots in the cavities and then placed on the oven rack.

The temperature was set to 400 degrees, the convection fan activated and the timer set for 30 minutes.

The oven cycled up to 400 degrees in about 20 minutes, held the temperature for 10 minutes and shut down.

This cycle was repeated at 1~2 hour intervals 4 times throughout the day.

After the final cooling the molds and cavities had become a light blue-grey in color, indicating to me that a seasoning process had taken place.

When I find time for some casting, I'll post the results.

Click on the images to expand and you can see the faint blue tint in the cavities.

Name:	HTC310-170-FP mold.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	204640 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTC310-170-FP cavity.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	204641

Name:	HTC459-500-SP mold.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	204642 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTC459-500-SP cavity.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	204643
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 09-25-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Actually those using the toaster oven are 53.8%, 40.6% use the convection and 9.5% use a full size kitchen oven.

The Devil's in the Details>>>>>PC Coatings<<<<<

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lt-lt-lt-lt-lt

The bottom line is use whatever you want...just make sure you get the temperature and time right...don't forget to give them the hammer test too!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    I use an Oster convection oven that I replaced the temp controller with a PID and a thermocouple sensor. Maintains the temp to within 5 degrees and can do 8# of bullets at a time coated with Hi-Tek. epoxy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast