RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingADvertise here
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons

Thread: Toaster Oven

Boolit Master

Toaster Oven

Will a Toaster Oven work for PC coating (Baking)?

You bet. I think that's what 99% of us use.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Thanks Waco.

You can get one at Walmart for less than $20. That's what I use.

Boolit Master
    Toaster ovens will work for small batches, you tend to get different coloring due to irregular heating. For a little more $ you can get a convection oven that has an air circulating fan that heats the entire oven evenly and allow you to do larger even batches.

Regardless of which oven you get, you will need to check the heat setting (ALMOST ALL COUNTERTOP OVENS ARE OFF from the factory due to the design of the thermostat).

I put 2 simple ($3.00) oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf I'm baking on and adjust the oven setting until the thermometers read 400 degrees then I mark the oven dial and note the proper setting to reach 400.
    Many like to cover the floor of the oven with a heat retaining media to speed heat recovery time after opening the door. I use ceramic BBQ briquettes, others use first brick, chunks of metal or ....

Indeed! I too recommend convection. I run mine with a PID.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    Indeed! I too recommend convection. I run mine with a PID.
    Same here....I have a Hamilton Beach. Got it at Wally World for $69.00. It's a convection oven and I use a PID. I drilled a hole in the back of the oven and ran the long probe through it. It works really well. The whole thing makes an easy process even easier.
    The good thing about science is that it's true no matter if you believe it or not. (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

I was scolding my 5-year old for her and her friends making a giant mess in her room. She said they all did it. So I asked her: If all her friends jumped off a cliff, would she do it too? She said, "Oh no daddy! I would go to the bottom and try to catch them! They're my friends." Man, either I have a great kid or she has a stupid father.

Hit the second hand stores around you - you can find 'em cheap
    I retired my toaster oven and use counter top convection

I use a metal camping table and just set the bullets on parchment paper
    then drop the oven over the top of the whole works
    and start setting up on another paper and them move the oven again.

Almost bought one of these style

but I don't trust myself to move the
    trays without knocking over all the boolits.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Yep, I'm part of the 99% also. My B&D toaster was $19.99 from Wallyworld. Yes, it is small but works for me as I mainly do rifle CB's in it. Typical loads are 80 x 500gn CB's for my 458WM or 120 x 265gn for my 444 Marlin. I do stand these up on their bases. Higher density is possible but this is sufficient for my use.

The 2 things that I did to help getting good results were to verify the temperature setting and to pre-heat before adding the tray. The temperature knob was off by almost 50* low - I used my casting PID probe to measure.

My initial tests included watching when the powder gelled to see if all the CB's changed at the same time. This was to determine if there were cold or hot spots. None were observed so all is good. The powder I use came from Smoke and I set the timer to 20 minutes once gelling is observed.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

I started out with a toaster oven but soon moved to a convection oven. It does make a big difference.

Slim
    DISCLAIMER: This is a generic comment. It is not directed at any specific human
    being, real or fictional. The comments in this message speak directly to the
    TOPIC no matter the quoted clips - and nothing else. If I have not typed your
    name, specifically, into the message, it IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

Boolit Master
    ASrtful,

Just this weekend, I saw a convection oven at GOODWILL here in SA for 6.99.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I also found a very nice Oster convection oven @ goodwill for $20. I will bake 18# of boolits at a time (9# on ea shelf)

I bought a conv pizza oven from Wally, $50 shipped to me. It has two racks, 12" deep, so I can do quite a few bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Pretty proud of this toaster I snagged at Goodwill after work Friday. Double rack, convection, gets up to 400 fast and holds it perfectly. Cost me FIVE dollars!

I have a cheap toaster oven from walmart and I tried it with some Hi-Tek. Terrible results. I have a pretty good collection of old appliances so I went and drug out an old oven I happened to have. It's been outside for years. I took the panel off the back and everything looked decent. Got a new cord, plugged it in and it works great. Every time I open the door the oven thermometer is right in the same place. The inside light still works and so does the timer on the stove. It's way better. I can fit like 7 lbs of bullets on one tray I made. Im going to make a couple more so I can get a cycle of bullets cooking, cooling, and drying. Once I get the hang of it I should be able to knock out thousands in a day. Which is good because coating isnt a particularly fun step in bullet making process.

Vendor Sponsor

I finally decided that, if I am going to do this coating thing, I might as well do it right.

Two HYTEK molds were ordered from N.O.E. Bullet Molds and arrived a couple of days ago.

Images by Cast Bullet Design sofware

Name:  N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_HTC310-173-FP_GC_BR5.Jpg
Views: 65
Size:  11.1 KB Name:  N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_HTC459-500-SP_-Coated.Jpg
Views: 64
Size:  11.8 KB

Today, I made the trip to Wallmart and purchased their Oster Convection Oven for $39.92 + tax. (less than a lube-sizing die for my Star Sizer)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	204366

Brought the oven home, unpacked and plugged it in. Placed an oven thermometer on the rack, closed the door and then inserted my N.O.E. casting thermometer through the corner into the oven space, set the temperature dial precisely on the 400 mark, selected "Turbo", for the convection, then set back to watch the gauges.
    (both thermometers have been checked with my N.O.E. digital probe and are within 2 degrees of each other)
    In no less than 10 minutes, both thermometers had climbed to 402 degrees then slowly dropped back to 400 degrees and then held that temperature for the next 30 minutes.

Needless to say, I am well pleased. If the oven continues to perform like this, the investment is well worth while.

I have some powders from Smoke that I was playing around with before getting serious and, as soon as I can season my new molds in the new oven, I will report the results.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 09-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I bought the same oven last spring and found the same temperature accuracy. My only complaint is that only one rack came with it.

Never thought about seasoning molds in it.