MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equifax data breach

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Thank you. Copied and sent to my wife.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Thank you!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Shouldn't they be prosecuted for insider trading similar to Martha Stewart? Seems like they knew the stock was going to take a hit once they released that data.
    I agree

Boolit Master
    Shouldn't they be prosecuted for insider trading similar to Martha Stewart? Seems like they knew the stock was going to take a hit once they released that data.
    Not exactly the same as Martha Stewart, in that she avoided losses of only ~$46K, while the Equifax exectives avoided losses in excess of $200K+ (and counting).

Martha Stewart got a five-month sentence; somehow I doubt that the Equifax executives will get a proportional sentence.

---

And yes, have frozen my credit a few years ago; really it's the only (semi-) secure way to live.

Btw, according to Dave Ramsey's information, bank of America does credit check on only 20% of the applications it processes. And they do the vast majority of the CC's in the US. Freeze helps, but is not perfect at all. If you are looking at credit monitor, look at his refered company Zander insurance. They are good folks, I don't have service, but have talked with a human working with me on mortgage in the past. Real American, not a Pakistani or Indian

FYI I think that each credit reporting company is required to allow one or two free credit reports per year. If you get a credit report from company A then it should show all credit lines against your SSN. Depending on the breach it might not be that bad, I think that a person needs your : SSN, DOB, Full Name, Addy. If all three went then it's a complete package.

Dragon-thanks for the links!

Boolit Grand Master

The credit bureaus are allowed to give you one free credit report per year. But each credit report is individual. While they should show the same accounts they don't. I know this first hand because I'm a Junior. I have to go through every year and have some of my father's accounts removed from mine The good news is that neither of us hurt each other. But the credit bureaus should have enough sense to remove an account from my report that was opened before I was born.

At this point I trust no one. I hate the fact that I have no control over my personal information. I should be able to control who and who doesn't have access to my information. The credit bureaus should not be able to sell my info to whoever wants it.

The big issue is you have banks, I will out Bank of America, issuing lines of credits w/ no credit reports. Even if you freeze your credit reports the banks that have access to your reports still do. A lot is broken w/ the current system. As much as I hate federal intervention at some point they have to get involved because capitalism isn't working.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Do not Sign up for the trusted ID program on Equifax .. They are pushing this now .. When you sign up there is a clause they that you give up the right to join a class action suit against them .. don't do it

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...uit-2017-09-08
    No they do not. That is for the regular signing up for the service of non-hacked information. They have been quite clear that anyone whose information was hacked do not give up any right to sue. I was one of them.

From Equifax:

Addressing confusion concerning the arbitration and class-action waiver clauses included in the Terms of Use applicable to the product:

: The company never intended for these clauses to apply to this cybersecurity incident.

: Because of consumer concern, the company clarified that those clauses do not apply to this cybersecurity incident or to the complimentary TrustedID Premier offering.

:The company clarified that the clauses will not apply to consumers who signed up before the language was removed.

Sign up for the free service, put a fraud alert on your account and freeze your credit. Request new credit cards from your issuers. Change all of your passwords for every account you have and make them strong with random Caps, symbols, numbers and letters. Request a credit report from each of the 3 agencies. They are free and you should be doing this in a staggered fashion every year alread.

Not much else you can do. Last week someone hacked into my Amazon account and changed my password. Now I know where they got the information from. The hacker(s) were from Russia.
    Last edited by jonp; 09-17-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Careful with the Martha Stewart case. She was not found guilty of insider trading but obstruction of justice.

This is a good overview of what was going on and you might recognize someone that is in the news concerning another infamous case recently. http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/06/co...clinton-slide/

Those guys that sold stock right after finding out about the hack are in a world of hurt unless it was a previously scheduled sale of stock that senior company execs do to dispose of stock awarded as part of a compensation package. The SEC would know of it because the Execs have to notify them as any block sale of stock by senior mgt can have quite an effect on the stock price.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Hi Dragon.Had that"Jr" issue with a bank that I and my Father used many years ago.The idiots were putting my money in my Fathers account and sending back my checks back marked insufficient funds.Raised enough fuss to get the head book keeper and the assistant head book keeper fired.That fixed the problem.Their husbands were not happy.Got a few threats.Called the cops,and that ended that.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Equifax data breach

We don't use the same bank to avoid confusion like that. Seems even w/ computerized everything companies can't keep accounts straight. Sirius/XM was the worse. They kept shutting off my service because my mother called to shut off her's, was in my dad's name. I gave up after the third time. The account in my name had my street number, my dad's street name, his phone number and my email. No clue how this could have possibly happened but they managed to. I wanted to give them my money but their incompetence prevented it.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, Here's where you can check to see if your data was affected. Just follow the instructions.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/

My place of work sent this out as a company-wide email. I tried it & was told I wasn't compromised. That said, I'll still be closely monitoring my c-card(s) accounts
    Bob

Boolit Master
    They said my information was not compromised, but my girlfriends was.

Boolit Grand Master

Equifax data breach

I didn't bother checking. It just came out they were first breached in March. I don't trust a word the company says. One of the higher ups sold $1.9 million in stock. This is on top of of $950,000 that was already reported. The SEC is gonna have a field day w/ these guys.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 09-19-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Be very careful now with emails as well.
    Wife got one that looked like TransUnion offering her a free credit report. Logos were all there.
    looked very much like TransUnion site
    The give away was the email address
    Plus the fact they don't contact you to offer it
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 09-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Equifax's database was also breached back in March; they're just now admitting to this. Equifax has proven that they are either incapable or unwilling to keep the personal and financial information of the public safe and secure. As this is part of their business model, their license to do this particular type of business needs to be revoked. They need to be forbidden from collecting and storing any type of information that could expose anyone to personal or financial risk.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I froze my credit files on all three systems today. Better safe than sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12