RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 94 in 32 Win SPL

Win 94 in 32 Win SPL

Well, sometimes things just go right. Not often, but sometimes.

I recently came into a 1947 vintage Win 94 in 32 Win Spl. It was a 1 owner. I got it from a very elderly friend who obtained it new- as a 14th birthday gift in 1948. He hadn't shot the rifle in about 30 years.

I made some handloads using the Hornady 165 grain FTX projectile and IMR 4064 powder. The rifle was shooting 2" or so to the left at 50 yards. Open, iron sights.

I soaked the rear sight in Kroil and with a brass rod, tried to drift the rear sight to the right. No luck - it wouldn't move. Brought the rifle to my local smith who got the job done. When I took the rifle out of the case, the smith just stood there looking at it and said "Don't ever change a thing on this rifle - they just don't make them like this anymore."

Here's a target from yesterday's range trip. To say I'm smiling on the inside would be correct. Just a sheer pleasure to see an old rifle come back to life - and with a vengeance! Two shots - one hole @ 50 yards. Great fun with this old workhorse!

Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 09-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Thanks for sharing, sure is nice to have a great old rifle and know it's story too. And the .32 is born to shoot cast boolits with that 1-16 twist rate barrel.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Sure would like to see the rifle.... I know what they look like, but just enjoy seeing old classics!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Sure would like to see the rifle.... I know what they look like, but just enjoy seeing old classics!
    Here she is, Unc, a picture from the past:

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

32 Special

Just got to love 32 Specials and that slow twist which handles cast bullets so well. You found a real treasure Bayou52. I'll bet that it gives you years of pleasure on its second lease on life.

Here's my circa 1941 Winchester Model 64 in 32 Special and the 197 grain NOE cast bullet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winchester 64-197gr NOE-32-200-800.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    One of the better woods rifles ever made. Anyone can own a Marlin. Only a few own a 32 winchester.
    Congratulations Bayou52

In Remembrance
    My dad gave me his '94 in 32 Win Spl a few years ago. He bought it new around '48-'49. I remember him commenting on how much it cost.....$49.00! The rifle itself is in great mechanical shape, was only ever used for deer hunting, but the stock finish is worn due to being carried in wet conditions. Guess I need to load it up with some cast!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Scharfschuetze:

You have a beautiful rifle! And great shooting, too. I love your peep sight on the receiver!

Mazo - sounds like you've got a prize, too. Have any pics you can share?

Thanks for the compliments, Guys! Greatly appreciated.

I was unaware of the 1 -16 twist in these barrels. It's almost as if they were made for cast boolits! (Maybe they were.... ).

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Banned

I bought a rather badly treated Marlin waffle top one a few years ago cheap. Had to replace the stock and did a full detail cleaning of it. I got a NOE (I think) that casts a 180ish WFN gas check design that shot well with 30 grains of IMR 4320 and a tuft of Dacron. Killed a small doe with it a few years ago and was real please with the performance of it all around. It's a good round for cast bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    Here she is, Unc, a picture from the past:

Bayou52
    You found a Great Looking Carbine...........These 1894's are the only way to fly !!!! I Love mine!!!!!!! They Just feel good . Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

^^^^^^ Thanks, OlDeuce!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Shot my first Whitetail buck with a 1948 Model 94 in .32 Win Special back in November 1965. My hunting "Uncle" loaned me that rifle and sold it to me upon my return home from overseas duty in 1973. I still have that .32 Special plus three more. Another Win Model 94 from 1965, a Marlin 336SC from 1951, and a Marlin 336SC from 1957. I shoot cast boolits in all mine. The RCBS 08-170, 182 grain gas checked boolit and a Ranch Dog 323-170 gas checked weighing 182 grains lubed and checked. Speeds range from 1700 fps to 2300 fps with superb accuracy. Powders used are Alliant 2400 for 1700 fps and Hornady LVR for 2300 fps.

358 Win

Boolit Man
    If any of you 32WS owners would care to own a Ranch Dog bullet mold, feel free to join the cause.........

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ester-Special)

Boolit Master
    You can shoot those Hornady FTX bullets in the 32 WS-- but what that rifle really wants is cast lead!-- That's all I shoot i my 1949 vintage Winchester 1894 in 32 WS. The slower twist rate than a 30-30 really makes it an ideal cast bullet rifle.
    Hick: Iron sights!

My 1952 Win 32 Special is one of my most accurate leverguns out of 16

Well, this thread has really taught me a few things about the 32 WS:

1. They are highly regarded by our forum community, and I presume, in general,

2. Cast bullets seem especially suited to the twist rate of 1 -16, and

3. The 32'ers seem to be quite a dedicated lot.

All new to me. Thanks, Guys!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

They make J-words in 32 caliber? I had no idea! J/K, of course but this cartridge and rifle seem to make an excellent case for cast boolits. My mould is made by Accurate, for some reason NOE didn't have one at the time.
    One of the pleasures of collecting and shooting old Winchesters is that they quite often shoot very well, especially later rifles like yours that did not endure the corrosive primer era.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup she's a beauty...especially since she's a "flat band"...oh and by the way ..if you can loose the boot before it discolors the stock...you'll be maintaining it's value...enjoy!!!!

^^^^^Thanks, quicksylver, for the tip about removing the recoil pad before it discolors the stock. I was completely unaware of this effect, and have taken it off.

Thanks again!

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Dad's rifle was a .32 WS carbine. Took my first two deer with it. To honor their Grandpa, I gave each one of my sons a .32 WS takedown rifle. Special rifles in memory of a Special Man. All of them (rifles and sons) shoot accurately.

Your carbine is a beauty. And it appears you are quite a good shot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast