RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hands Up For Smoothbore PRB Hunters

Boolit Master
    I get 5-6"@75yds, but my groups fall apart before I get to 100yds w my .54 smoothbore. I have had a few 6" groups at 100yds, but just enough to frustrate me by letting me know the gun is capable if I would just figure out what it's trying to tell me it likes. I limit myself to 75 until then.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quite curious about hunting with a patched ball from a smoothbore (28 ga/.550").

Seems the average range is about 50 yds + with a few who excel with theirs and can go a bit further (6" groups).

So what say you?
    Shooting a antiquated designed smooth bore for fun and giggles certainly could be a fun experience. For hunting? Not knowing what distance _ hunting circumstance or terrain I might find myself. Having to shoot too or thru?_ It would be difficult choice for me to grab a smooth bore Fouler over my Hawken equipped with its factory Round Ball Only barrel.

It really pleases me to see 3" accuracy at 100 yards with what I shoot now. I don't know if I would accept a Foulers 6" or more grouping accuracy at 50 yards.

Rabbits & squirrel? I already have a smooth bore preference for their harvesting. Its name: Handmedown 28 ga. Iver Johnson Champion.

Boolit Master
    Some people here are getting closer to 6" at 75 yds which would make 50 yds a piece of cake, right?

I have rifled .50 cal. I've yet to work on an accurate load with a PRB and finally got glasses which should help reduce my groups, but these guys are getting group sizes with a smoothbore that I'm getting with a PRB at 50 yds so far. Now the 320 grn REAL is another story as these seem to be favored by my barrel giving men ear touching holes at that distance.

If a smoothbore is capable why not use it? Doesn't that add to the experience using what many people think of as a worthless antiquated means to bring home the game while adding to the challenge that, unlike a rifled barrel, I must get close enough?

Ultimately I want this smoothbore for turkey and small game hunting with shot. But why not try PRB? And if it ends up just being a range toy I'm sure, if it groups well, I'd be asked lots of questions as I typically am with the guns I have. People are amazed that my cap n ball pistols give me better groups at 15 yds over what many are getting at 7 with their bottom feeders. Of course the thunder and smoke is often what brings them over with questions to begin with...

Boolit Master
    Oh, and I'm pretty fair at judging distances within 100 yds with my old boss and I playing a game of "how far do you think that is?" and then stepping it off to see who's closer. Being off by 10 yds won't necessarily mean a bad hit within 50 yds if it's giving <4" groups at that distance.

Boolit Master
    You'll do just fine, and if you have a rear sight, you'll see little difference in your group size between a rifle and this smoothbore at 50yds. At least if you consider what you need as far as size of kill zone. Now without rifling, you won't be able to stabilize the REAL you mentioned, but you know that. And just between us, after having read a lot of your posts over the years, I'll honestly be shocked if your effective range after liar work up isn't at least 75 yds, and I'm curious how you do at 100+.

Boolit Master
    I've actually been figuring I'd swap the fiber optic sights from my Deerstalker for the ones that will come on the Trade Rifle unless I deal with an Oregon barrel. Lyman no longer shows spare barrels on the order form and I've yet to contact them.

Mine has a rear sight and shoots ball, both patched and unpatched, quite well. Shoots shot pretty darn good, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2040https://s20.postimg.org/ty24sd7dp/PICT0586-2.jpg52[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0586-2_1.jpg  
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Man
    I find I get better accuracy without a patch. Heavy load and a lubed wad seems to work for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I cheat as I am not so concerned with NMLRA rules as getting game. I have a rear sight on my trade gun and it's good to 70 yards on either deer or buffalo. 62 rb 82 grains of FFg the ball lightly patched over a hard card wad on the powder. No as to actual hunting the farthest I have shot a deer so far is 24 yards. But I am ready for a long shot as I practice out past 50. I also use it for our Mountain Man course with swinging and moving targets out to 40 yards.

Boolit Master
    At least I'm not the only one who concentrates on hunting performance instead of playing by the rules of some competition. Thank you, KCSO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
    Mine has a rear sight and shoots ball, both patched and unpatched, quite well. Shoots shot pretty darn good, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2040https://s20.postimg.org/ty24sd7dp/PICT0586-2.jpg52[/ATTACH]
    Hanshi,

give the details of that rifle again it you would. I can't remember what it was but I sure like it!

My T/C 56SB Renegade smoothbore would reliably shoot 3-1/2" groups (if I did my part) @ 100yds - the zero distance I used because there are no longer shots available where I hunt deer.

Of course, an accurate load & loading method should be developed for a particular rifle.

BTW, my .56 smoothie gave respectable results on small game with 28ga shotcups, an overshot wad & #6 birdshot (in my gun - YMMV).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12