Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: WFN Hunting Bullet

Boolit Master

WFN Hunting Bullet

Several years ago, without a complete understanding of the wide meplat terminal ballistics, I created several cap n ball pistol bullets, one of which is rather heavy and meant for my ROA. I've toyed with the idea of buying a resizing die to bring it down to .451-2" and trying it in a sabot in my 1:48" twist rifle.

First off, after reading what I did, a wider than 78% meplat wasn't ideal as it had a tendency to stray off course and not plow straight forward. But the way I read this was also concerning rifle bullets traveling at a higher rate of speed. Is this an issue under 1400 fps (beyond 100 yds impact velocity)? This is the bullet in question having something like an 83% meplat sized at .452" (pistol):

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-285C-D.png

I've been redesigning my previous bullets but wondered if speed was the issue behind a bullet deviating from its initial path or if there's just a point at which they become unstable due to meplat width.

Boolit Master
    I would think that a bullet with a totally flat nose would be like a buss driving into a head wind. Aerodynamics apply.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I would think that a bullet with a totally flat nose would be like a buss driving into a head wind. Aerodynamics apply.
    Did you have anything to actually say concerning the performance? Quite frankly the Keith WFN works quite well despite what busses and head winds come along. I doubt you don't know of his work as many casters certainly do. Do you have something beneficial to add?
    Last edited by rodwha; 09-09-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    I dont know where this is going, but a pointed bullet will stay on track long after a flat nose has lost its gas. there is more air resistance with a flat surface than a pointed surface. energy transfer is a whole different subject.

I would try them at the range. Real world results always trump theory.

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah. Just try 'em. Would like to hear about real world results over various speculations. Might be distance limited / might not. Won't know what it'll do 'till you print it on a target.

Boolit Master
    Is this to say that wide meplat projectiles veer because they were unstable in flight prior to striking the animal and this will be shown on paper?

Boolit Master
    According to what I had read each little increment of meplat created a much larger increase in wound channel width, but that once past that number (~78%?) it tended to veer off and not track straight. But they were also talking about large rifle bullets. My question is whether it's purely the meplat or if it's a combination of that and higher velocities.

Without measuring any I've seen some very large meplats on commercial bullets such as LBT that I'd venture to guess cross that magic number. But then these are typically high speed pistol bullets and likely traveling closer to what they would from a sidelock muzzleloader pushed by 70-100 grns of 3F.

Boolit Master
    There is a reason (aeroodynamics) why most bullets are pointed, better downrange velocity, ie, longer range and/or flatter trajectory.

This does not mean a WFN bullet is not accurate. It will just have more drop over the same distance. FYI, the shape and edges of the FN portion are very important to the accuracy of the bullet, as important as the base condition.

Boolit Master

Yep, those flat nosed wadcutters are just not accurate at all. They do have range limitations.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you talking about how the boolit travels through the air or terminal ballistics? When you talk about the boolit plowing through I think of terminal ballistics, how the boolit performs once it hits flesh.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Yes, terminal performance.

Boolit Master

The Lee C429-310 is probably far above 78% and I have never heard anyone complain about it doing anything ezxcept it's job, at least at pistol velocities.
    Just my pure unsupported conjecture on the subject.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!