WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any body hunt with the moon and weather

Vendor Sponsor

I have had less luck with whitetail on a full moon, I attribute this to them being able to see better therefore they browse more during these brightly lit nighttime hours and stay bedded the next day because they are not hungry.

Love to go to water when a sudden cold front drops temps, mother nature tells Bambi to go to water because it will freeze and there will be no water to drink.

Don't much like to hunt real windy days either, since deer hear SO well, the wind in their ears prevents them from hearing predators so they don't move unless spooked on these windy days.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I have had less luck with whitetail on a full moon, I attribute this to them being able to see better therefore they browse more during these brightly lit nighttime hours and stay bedded the next day because they are not hungry.

Love to go to water when a sudden cold front drops temps, mother nature tells Bambi to go to water because it will freeze and there will be no water to drink.

Don't much like to hunt real windy days either, since deer hear SO well, the wind in their ears prevents them from hearing predators so they don't move unless spooked on these windy days.
    I kind of like hunting bedded deer. It takes a lot of use of the binoculars, and really paying attention to the wind. And hunting sloooooowwwwww.
    I've killed six bucks in their beds over the years. I figure if I can catch a bedded whitetail buck, I've won the game. All have been shot at under 40 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Yea but with a full moon you don't need a spotlight??? I do a lot of driving at night in deer country and see that the deer here move less during a full moon night. Boy were they out last night 35 in one 10 acre field!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I kind of like hunting bedded deer. It takes a lot of use of the binoculars, and really paying attention to the wind. And hunting sloooooowwwwww.
    I've killed six bucks in their beds over the years. I figure if I can catch a bedded whitetail buck, I've won the game. All have been shot at under 40 yards.
    You're good. I've done it but it takes patience and you have to know what you are doing.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Vendor Sponsor

on full moon days I hunt 10 Am to 2PM killed a many at 11AM-1PM
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i've noticed that deer will stay out later at night with the full moon and bed down during the day.
    And, with a full moon, if your out there in the dark, just before the moon drops and daylight starts to show, you can see the deer heading into the thickets, and deep timber. They go in and bed down, take a little nap, chew their cud, then late in the afternoon, they'll start moving a little just before dusk. You have to be in the right place at the right time. I literally bedded down 3 dandy bucks one evening, got up the next morning about an hour before light was within range of the exact location i'd seen them bed down. They never moved, i about froze my butt off waiting for them to get up. loll.

In Remembrance
    I knew guys that called themselves hunting by the moon, their claim was deer didn't hold for a spotlight any where near as good on a full moon, so they did their hunting on darker nights. lol

I don't remember him worrying about the moon for hunting, he hunted when he could, but my dad was adamant abut planting the garden by the moon according to the farmers almanac, also for castrating the animals.

Boolit Master
    Like to hunt when it is cold and a light rain during the day. They are beded down, takes a lot of time with field glasses but the big guys horns will show their position. Need a good accurate rifle some of the shots are on the long side. A lot of fun on a cold day. A day after a full moon is usually not so good unless the rut is in process.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I knew guys that called themselves hunting by the moon, their claim was deer didn't hold for a spotlight any where near as good on a full moon, so they did their hunting on darker nights. lol
    That is very true.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12