Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Florida Members, let everyone know you are OK....

In Remembrance

Florida Members, let everyone know you are OK....

I'll start it off. I left Port Orange (just South of Daytona) at 08:30 Thursday AM, and drove up to my son's home in Peabody, MA. I was going to come up in October for his birthday, but the hurricane gave me reason to make the trip early. Traffic getting through Florida, and even through Georgia going North was horrendous. But, I arrived around 1 PM this afternoon. I am staying a couple of weeks, hoping power is restored by the time I get back. My next once a month Chemo at Mayo Clinic is Oct 2nd, so will have to be back before then. My home is less than a mile inland from the "Inland Waterway", and should get a direct hit. Hope there's something left when I get home. A friend from the Orlando area will take a trip over and check on my place for me.

Hope everyone else made it out of town OK, and that those who stayed are protected by the hands of God. I'll check back in after I hear from my buddy.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Duke, glad you made it out safetly, yes the traffic has been horrendous. Lack of gas has made more folks stay than wanted to IMO. The wife and I are midway up on the west coast, to many animals to pack and run. We are as prepared as you can get right now. It is now up to the Big Guy in the Sky.. We are looking to be hit very early Monday morning, I wish it would happen while it is light but maybe darkness is better. I am a Native Floridian and have been thru more than I care to count. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but this storm has me spooked...

Best of luck on the Chemo, Cancer is a mean SOB..

Boolit Master

I'm down in Ft. Myers and we are staying put as well. I know there are a couple more members up in the Pt. Charlotte area. I have a good friend here who's dad lives in Crystal River. Everyone is concerned but not much you can do but wait. Our house is only 2 years old and has a couple of things I have learned from living here for 20 plus years built in, like insurance hopefully worth the expense if we need it but I would just as soon not find out.

Boolit Master

I am Jacksonville near the base. I did not get off work in time to evacuate. I was going to head to Pensacola area to my moms (my home of record), but due to congestion on the Interstate and Highways its pointless now. I have food, water and candles and I am prepared for 5 days without water or power. Flooding is more of my concern, but I live on hill about 20ish feet above the water line. I Should be fine gives me a few days off to load up some ammo.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Do you get your Chemo at Mayo in Jacksonville

Moderator Emeritus

Florida members, if you lose cell service look for a ham radio operator to get a message out! I handled some health and welfare messages out of Houston for family in Minnesota via ham radio. Every county emergency operations center has ham radio these days.

In Remembrance

Yes. My oncologist is the head of oncology there. I could not ask for better medical service. Hope it's still all there when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Do you get your Chemo at Mayo in Jacksonville

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Praying for Duke and everyone in Irma's path,that they are okand for their well being.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Daughter is an Army Recruiter in the Tampa area. The Army released all service members in FL to go where they want but she stayed and is volunteering at a shelter.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Anyone in the Clearwater area? Good friend of mine owns some property down there but she left after securing it as well as she could.
    Told her I hope her insurance is good.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    Yes. My oncologist is the head of oncology there. I could not ask for better medical service. Hope it's still all there when I get back.
    So we are doing okay

In Remembrance

There is a curfew in place until noon today in my city (Port Orange, FL).
    So, friends who are near my place will do a drive by after the curfew gets lifted and send me some images of my place. I have my fingers crossed.
    Will post again when I get the report.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

We dodged the bullet here in Crystal River as far as the winds. I haven't heard about flooding yet. Minimal damage here at the house, we are about 6 miles north of town.

Best of luck to everyone.

In Remembrance

I had buddies send me pictures of my home. The power is on, and no obvious damage. The only thing out of sorts is that my banana plant, with the bananas growing on it, got broken in half. Yes, we have no bananas.

So, will be staying in New England for a couple of weeks. Hope everyone else is OK.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Hi Duke glad to hear all is well at your house.As for the banana tree.We had one in the front yard where I grew up.It got a bit bent from some high winds in a Thunder storm,and my Dad and I went out and propped it up and it survived just fine.Sure miss those fresh bananas for snacks when working in the yard with Dad,and on the cereal in the mornings.And the home made pudding that Mom made with them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Good to hear everyone is safe. I survived with no damages or losses. Didn't think my wife was gonna make it without her phone, power, and facebook though. Power was only out for 24 hours, great job JEA and Linemen.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Ok in Clearwater. Mil lost power and is here.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad all reports arenof everyone faring well from the storm. Hope the folks we haven't heard from are equally lucky.

Boolit Master

Well, were okay. No damage to the house. Lost power and internet Sunday evening. Still no power. Guys found where the cable line was broken and with a little redneck engineering we have cable and internet back. Looks to be several days for power. Lost a 50' rosewood tree in the back, haven't even had time to begin cutting that up. Got lot's of cleanup work ahead but we were extremely lucky.

Boolit Master
    ok in St Agustine area. I ill see if Mayro survies tommorw