Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Trail cameras

Boolit Master

Trail cameras

Some time back there was a thread on trail cameras, I remember replying to the thread but it must have been lost in the purge to clean up the site. My question is what would be the best trail cam to catch a trespassing neighbor? Looking for a no flash or infrared flash unit with a good warranty. Thanks, pipefitter.

Boolit Master
    We have had good luck with both the Cabelas Outfitter cams as well as the Primos cams. Given your situation, it should be camouflage with a sensitivity out to 60 feet to minimize the chance of it being stolen. Get the ones that cost $90-110 to minimize the loss if stolen. We have had ours out for over 18 months 24-7 without problems but your winters are a tad colder.

Boolit Bub
    I am in the market as well. The cabelas cameras do get pretty good reviews

Boolit Master
    Cuddeback Long Range IR. Trigger speed undera quarter second and a five year warranty....two full years and three years prorated. That's the best warranty you'll find. I've been doing trail cameras for a lot of years now and I've owned all the brands. None of them have held up as well as the Cuddebacks. I keep nine cameras out at all times. These cameras capture everything, never get "white outs' or black pics, and I've never had one fail yet. Battery life is months on eight AA batteries. Every other brand I've owned isn't as good as these. To top it off, when you call with questions someone actually answers the phone and spends some time talking to you. Great customer service.
    http://www.cuddeback.com/camera/silver-long-range-ir

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Cuddeback Long Range IR. Trigger speed undera quarter second and a five year warranty....two full years and three years prorated. That's the best warranty you'll find. I've been doing trail cameras for a lot of years now and I've owned all the brands. None of them have held up as well as the Cuddebacks. I keep nine cameras out at all times. These cameras capture everything, never get "white outs' or black pics, and I've never had one fail yet. Battery life is months on eight AA batteries. Every other brand I've owned isn't as good as these. To top it off, when you call with questions someone actually answers the phone and spends some time talking to you. Great customer service.
    That's the one I am waiting on, from Optics Planet, along with the Genius mount. Been thinking about one for a while and read many reviews.... all brands seem to have issues. I guess you, just have to take your chances, in your affordability range.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    One of the biggest problems with almost all brands of cameras is that they are all made in China. Now being made in China doesn't doom them to failure, but how they're spec'd out by the buyer (our seller) does doom them. Most of them don't have plated circuits inside. Sitting outside in all kinds of weather without plated circuits will cause the circuits to corrode and fail. Most circuits for electronics that have to be out in the elements (think automotive here) have a super, super thin gold plating on them that makes them impervious to this failure mode. The cost to add this plating is something like a buck or two. The plating is measured in microns of thickness.....it's almost non-existent, but it's there. Hey, they save (or make) an extra buck and you get a camera that fails in one season. As I said, none of my Cuddebacks have failed to date....not even one of them. Hopefully the other manufacturers (sellers of Chinese cameras) will wake up and spend the extra buck. Good seals on the doors helps a lot also.

Boolit Master
    I've been looking at the Browning Strike Force Elite HD. It has great reviews from multiple sites. It is on sale at Midway for $89.99. Add another $10.00 today or tomorrow and get free shipping. I just ordered. First I'll use it to find out whose dog keeps crapping in my yard. Then will be used for varmint scouting. Uses 6 AA batteries, and a cheap SD card. And is very small in size. Check her out.

I just replaced my decade old Wildviews last year with the little Browning cameras. Pictures are great and the double A batteries last for months. IMHO, the best under $100 cameras out there.

Boolit Master
    Replaced or just added to my Primos /Bushnell trail cams (they are 4-5yrs old still working) with a SpyPoint Canadian (french) supplier .It did not last 8 weeks and done ,found out without receipt good luck ! I do not figure failure so don"t keep paperwork ,if that"s required I don"t buy again . 6 weeks and 7 months they found that a serial # showing it was purchased in 2017 was sufficient to honor a warrantee . In short if you purchase one of these cams be sure to save all paper work or better yet look at the ones that still work for me /Ed

Moderator Emeritus

A few friends with bigger wallets than I posses have the cameras which send the pictures to their cell 'phones. If I was in need of a "security" use device, I'd surely put one of these near top of my "want" list. You could ring police as you, too, are headed to site -- with your just-taken photos on camera as proof of trespass. For me, at camp I have two el cheapo Wildlife Innovations Mirage 14 units which seem to work just fine. Three selling points to me were the ease of running a steel cable through to lock to tree; that it has a pad-lock hole for SD card compartment to prevent card from being taken; and third, the low ($69.99 at Field & Stream store) price. It allows a 32MB card, and I have two extras, so it's a snap to unlock each's compartment and swap cards with empty ones -- to enable viewing of cards which were in it on iPhone, or computer back at home.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Great units. And they have a series that links cameras together and sends data to your cell phone
    Don Verna