RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many use two furnaces when casting?

How many use two furnaces when casting?

Hey Gents,

I currently use a Lee 4-20 pot to mass produce pistol boolits from five to six cavity moulds. My home build PID has been a great addition making it easier to keep the temperature within range. Normally when I cast, I drop back the spruce into the pot which drops the temperature down but not too much when the pot is half way filled with molten lead.

The problem I'm running into when I'm casting pistol boolits, my Lee pot runs out of molten lead fast and the cools down too fast once I get below mid level in the pot. Thinking of just getting a Lee Magnum Melter to throw my spruce and extra lead into while casting. Only down side is ladling molten lead from one pot to the other so extra care will be mandatory.

Since buying a $600 Master Cast Pot isn't an option (maybe some year) this seems like a faster method to casting longer than using just one pot. I hate waiting for my lead to melt between sessions.

Anyone would like to share their methods and experiences?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Mine's a little smaller scale but by the time I need metal in the bottom pot the top is ready to feed it hot metal. I slide the lower one back a bit to fill and forward to cast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench-2.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	203605
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

I use a PID controlled Lyman 20 pounder. When I need to continue to cast after the first 18 pounds or so are gone, I keep a stainless sauce pan with about 15-16 pounds of metal melted on an electric hot plate on idle ready to pour when needed. I wait until I pour the pan into the Lyman to stir and flux. I drop the "SPRUE!!!" into the Lyman as I cast too.

Boolit Master
    I know this is old school and not at all modern, but get an old Coleman gas stove, mine is YEARS old - a cast iron pot that will 40 to 45lbs of alloy and be done with it.

The stove produces enough heat to keep the alloy in the 650 - 700 degree range and allows putting the sprues back in the pot along with adding fresh ingots all the while still running multiple 4 - 6 cavity molds.

The Rowell bottom pour ladle is a HUGE improvement over any other I've tried.

Crusty Deary Ol'CootClick image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	203606

Boolit Master

I enjoy casting. For me it is not a race. I too cast a lot of pistol bullets from 85 gr to 255. With a six banger casting 255's it doesn't take long to draw down a 4-20 but I don't fret over it. I put my mold on the hot plate, add more ingots and clean up the area putting sprues in the pot and then sit back and relax until it gets back to temp. Does not take that long. Remember, it is a hobby and not a job!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't use 2 pots but I do set ingots on the lip of the pot to pre warm. I also put them on the steel plate on my hot plate. I'm in no hurry and by the time I empty a 20# pot the ole back is about ready for a break anyway.

I use two pots when casting also. I have a new setup since I got the RCBS pot and have no pics as yet, I think it is the best way to cast when using two pots. Never have to wait for your casting pot to come back up to temp,
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    I know this is old school and not at all modern, but get an old Coleman gas stove, mine is YEARS old - a cast iron pot that will 40 to 45lbs of alloy and be done with it.

The stove produces enough heat to keep the alloy in the 650 - 700 degree range and allows putting the sprues back in the pot along with adding fresh ingots all the while still running multiple 4 - 6 cavity molds.

The Rowell bottom pour ladle is a HUGE improvement over any other I've tried.

Crusty Deary Ol'CootClick image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	203606
    Not right or wrong but I am glad you like the Rowell for casting. I have next to 100% match bullets using RCBS and Lyman ladles. My Two Rowells never get used and I sold the 6LB used for batching ingots.
    I have been casting since 1970 and have picked up used LEE pots when I find them (cheep). I have pots, more then I remember marked for alloy and only put that kind of lead in it. Example, 20-1 or pistol range scrap or 97-2-1 and like that.

I like electric casting pots because the white gas costs more here and I do not want to be around all that heat (gas camp stove) in the summer.
    BUT - we each like what works for us!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I would suggest two things before you buy another pot. Set your cadence up so that you put your sprus back right after you cut them. I put mine back right after I refill the mold as the next spru hardens. They are still hot then and will not drop your temp. The other thing I would do is put a piece of metal across the top of your pot to preheat ingots on. That may save the purchase of another pot. The old Lyman and Saeco 1000 watt pots had a shelf on top and by preheating ingots you could cast all day with two 4 cavity molds. A friend of mine who loaded commercially back in the day could maintain close to 1000 bullets per hour casting with 2 H&G moulds that way.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I don't use 2 pots but I do set ingots on the lip of the pot to pre warm. I also put them on the steel plate on my hot plate. I'm in no hurry and by the time I empty a 20# pot the ole back is about ready for a break anyway.
    Using the ingot on the rim method, one on each side and adding them alternately as soon as the lead level drops enough to accommodate it, I can cast continuously from a Lee 20 pound pot using a 6 cavity Lee mold.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Preheat ingots with some heat source to around 450 degrees .
    Add cut hot sprue's back into pot while waiting for the next sprue to set up in the mould
    Keep pot lead level no lower than 2/3 or 3/4 full at all times
    Ive run 8 cavity saeco moulds with a 11 lb pot this way and never ran out of alloy , these moulds will make between 1,000 to 1,300 bullets a hour

Boolit Master
    I cast pretty slow so I don't need one personally, but I've seen images of guys rigging one 4-20 above another, once the bottom is empty just drain the top one into it and you are ready to go again. No need for PID on the top one, just dump all the sprues and some fresh lead in and keep going.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I have a SEACO and RCBS 20 pound pots going together when I'm do gang molds.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I used 2 stacked 10 lb lees ( this was before the 20 lbers were available) Worked great and I only ran pout of lead with the biggest moulds. My 45 rifle bullets and a couple sinker moulds would drain the pot faster than it could re,elt in the top one.

Boolit Master
    I use two pots also. a 10 lb lyman for pure lead and a 20 lb. lyman for mix

Boolit Master

our power company sends out our weekly electricity usage.

I can see a marked rise in usage anytime my Pro-Melt was on. I usually can last for 45 minutes before the fun is gone

plus keeps me from thinking about a two-pot method
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Lets see if I have this figured correctly. 2 pots at 500W wide open and a hot plate at 1000W wide open would be 2 KWH if they drew juice the whole hour. Rounding up to 14˘ per KWH would be a whole 28˘. Guess I'll have to stop casting!
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Banned

I have seen set-ups with 2 LEE 20 lb pots where one was right on top of the other.
    they had a linkage built so when you opened one it opened the other and fed the bottom pot.

I just bought the 40 lb magma pot and was done with it right at the start.
    I can stack 8-12 ingots right on top of the steel lid I made to preheat, but I have to be careful or they will melt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    our power company sends out our weekly electricity usage.

I can see a marked rise in usage anytime my Pro-Melt was on. I usually can last for 45 minutes before the fun is gone

plus keeps me from thinking about a two-pot method
    I try not to think about the power draw when I run mine. I'm curious which provider you are using since I am in the same area, that would be a nifty feature.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast