RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worlds Cheapest Case Trimmer?

Boolit Buddy

I haven't tried the WCT personally but the gentleman that makes them lives about a half hour from me and is a retired machinist and very good guy to deal with. In fact I just recently got my first Garand from him and lots of helpful information. I look forward to dealing with him again and if I didn't have my 650 set up to trim I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post
    6bg6ga,

Since it doesn't have a floating chamber for the case shoulder do you feel any need to lube the case to avoid case shoulder scuffing? or is the residual lube from the case sizing die operation enough?

thanks,
    Same question I have, seems it would work good for one or two trimming cycles but eventually will damage the brass. I'm currently in the market for a .358 win trimmer wonder if the 308 model would work?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Oldblinddog beat me to it but this was my thoughts too. Its been a few years since I have bought any of these but I was thinking you could get set-up to trim one caliber for between $10 and $12. So, its not the cheapest! It looks like it should work ok though!

As far as dealing with the cases after you trim them with this tool I would use a long tapered countersink type cutter for cleaning out the inside burr, and then just tumble the cases to remove the outside burr.

On pistol cases like converting 9mm to Makarov where you take a bunch off, I just tumble them after cutting them and they get deburred inside and out in the process.

Anytime you trim cases, you should follow by tumbling anyway.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy, what's your reasoning behind this - Anytime you trim cases, you should follow by tumbling anyway.

I have never tumbled after trimming.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Randy, what's your reasoning behind this - Anytime you trim cases, you should follow by tumbling anyway.

I have never tumbled after trimming.
    Even if you deburr and chamfer the metal is still a little rough. Tumbling smooths everything out. I tumble mine because I prefer to either store them dirty and unprocessed or ready to load. Tumbling them before bagging them up costs them in NuFinish so they don't tarnish.

Flash: I usually tumble cases before sizing and after sizing to get the goo off them. If they are going to be trimmed it happens right after sizing so they would get tumbled anyway.

I don't trim very many cases. Only if absolutely necessary. 5.56 never as they will only be loaded once or twice before they are lost. Pistol cases never period.

If you tumble after you trim the cases just come out looking better and are thus more fun to load. We all want to make the best looking ammo possible ,,,Right?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    I tumble then lube and size followed by trimming to length followed by tumbling again and then loading.

Boolit Grand Master

I also tumble after trimming to insure there are no chips remaining in the case. I have a Gracey trimmer and its cutters do put some fine chips in the case. For handling cases I modified a lee priming tool ( the single primer model) by making a longer pin for it this pinches the case between the shell holders rim and primer pocket giving a good grip for trimming and or deburring under power. ( also saved blisters on finger with large batches). Make the pin .125 longer than the factory pin orso works good and givesa better grip.

Boolit Master
    The problem with trimmers that locate off the shoulder is brass has to be separated by shoulder to case head length for consistent trim length. I get much better results from the Wilson and rcbs trimmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It looks intriguing, but he doesn't make them for 257 Roberts! DRAT! Oh, well...my Lee trimmers are inexpen$ive, and last a long time.

Straighten out your perceptions a bit as you are looking at this a bit crooked.

WCT only references an angled shoulder as that is all it touches.

The distance from the shoulder is set by you and IT DOESN'T CARE how big the case mouth is.

I bought an 8mm unit and use it to trim ALL shouldered rifle cases that are 30-06 to 308 or similar in format. 7mm-08, etc.

I bought a .223 unit and use it for all the short cases.

I also use the Holub idea on a homemade 350 Legend (shoulder less) case trimmer that you put the case into a keyless drill chuck then put the trimmer over the protruding case and trim it to length off the face of the chuck. You have to use some care to put the case consistently all the way into the keyless chuck but you still get =/- .003" trim jobs off the system.

So, I trim everything using 3 rig ups ...... I find that brand new sharp new carbide end mills cut more consistently for length compared to two flute HSS end mills.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 08-31-2022 at 05:04 AM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12