Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wadcutter alloy question

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I use tumble lube on nearly all my 38 special boolits. I couldn't tell any difference in accuracy between tumble lube and other lubes. Just a bit smokier when shot is all.
    Do you use one coat or two? I re-did my first batch because I didn't think they were coated enough. I was probably wrong...we shall see.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I am lazy. I size(if I size at all) before I lube. I usually coat fairly heavily with a single coat and let them dry. Sometimes it will take them 24 hour to dry enough for me to be comfortable loading them without worrying about causing problems with the powder charge. I never had a problem with it.
    Nowadays I use White Label X-Lox. It is cheaper and very reliable. I buy it in the quart bottles. Sometimes, when I am in a hurry, I will put a fan on them and leave it there until they dry.
    Most people will say I use too much.

Bigslug,
    I'll borrow some of your technique. I never thought about starting with the hole nearest the handle.
    I'll also rig up a support for the mold & disconnect the RCBS rod type deal. I usually "repurpose" a worn out axe handle or sledge handle section to move the sprue plate, but I might try a cushioned hammer.

Thanks,
    Henry

Henry I use a rubber mallet. Works great and lasts forever.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I can't imagine trying to run a 10 cavity H&G mold. I couldn't use my Lee pot since I don't believe there is room in there for that big a mold.
    I tried using a 6 cavity H&G for a time and the weight got tome very quickly. The boolits did shoot well though.

Boolit Master

If you're lucky, that H&G #50 6 cav will drop those wadcutters at the right size and you won't have to use your Star at all.
    Just tumble lube them and load 'em.
    Your daughters are probably going to start shooting a bunch more ammo once they see how those WC's shoot.

Here's a good thread you should peruse if you haven't already.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-in-a-Model-27
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Do you use one coat or two? I re-did my first batch because I didn't think they were coated enough. I was probably wrong...we shall see.

Take Care

Bob
    I use 2 coats of bll for my wadcutters since all my hitek dried up. One light coat before sizing and one after. I'm probably a bit heavy handed on the lube too but accuracy is outstanding in my model 10-10 and no lube or fouling in the barrel to clean up after.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    If you're lucky, that H&G #50 6 cav will drop those wadcutters at the right size and you won't have to use your Star at all.
    Just tumble lube them and load 'em.
    Your daughters are probably going to start shooting a bunch more ammo once they see how those WC's shoot.

Here's a good thread you should peruse if you haven't already.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-in-a-Model-27
    Thanks for that thread.........a real education on WC loading. I've never tried tumble lube: maybe I should give it a go.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I use 2 coats of bll for my wadcutters since all my hitek dried up. One light coat before sizing and one after. I'm probably a bit heavy handed on the lube too but accuracy is outstanding in my model 10-10 and no lube or fouling in the barrel to clean up after.
    I chroned 2.3gr of 700X under the RCBS #38 WC unsized using Lees liquid lube and they all shot well. I am trying to mimic factory loadings at 750 fps. 2.3 gr didn't do it. I will bump to 2.5 gr later next week and see what I get. Model 10, 5".

Take Care

Bob

Banned

ditto's on the tumble lube. i use white label 45-45-10, lee 158 swc and rn TL moulds, 1:20 alloy, 4.2 grains of w231, for a real nice .357 load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12