Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing mail

Boolit Master

Missing mail

So what do you do when your mail turns up missing? My wife ordered some make up items. Never received them. I've had my wife's sisters wedding invitation never received. Paper work from social security supposedly mailed to me but never received. I've checked with a couple neighbors, a few have had things that never showed up. I've checked with the post office and got the old we'll look into it response. Now in fairness I don't know if it's the post office messing up or if it's actually someone taking mail. The stuff my wife ordered was simply replaced by the vendor. I don't know any of the neighbors accept to nod hellos to. And as a matter of fact there are a few that I don't think very highly of. So I don't put a lot of stock in what they say. What I've herd from the ones I've questioned is " I had a letter from aunt so and so that she mailed and I never got" and "well I herd so and so was missing some stuff". social security is known for "we sent this out we don't know why you didn't get it". So I actually have no substantial proof. Nothing that's gone missing ha had a tracking number accepte maybe my wife's stuff and the vendor would rather right it off as a loss than pursue the issue. So I'm stuck! Until something with a tracking number goes missing. I've tried to let anyone who might be sending something my way know to make sure there is a tracking number. I watched for the mailman but he doesn't always come at the same time. other than that what else can I do? Anybody have any suggestions?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Do you have a rural mail box or a post office box?

Rural mail boxes are easy pickin's for thieves
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I've had very little go missing over the years. About a year ago, I had a quarterly estimated tax payment to the Internal Revenue Service go missing. I had to pay the bank $36 to stop payment and send another check. I just mailed a similar check today and crossed my fingers. Our mail goes thru the Memphis, TN post office so we never know if it will get past there.

The main problem is slow mail. I'm an elected county commissioner and we are notified by mail of upcoming meetings including agenda. Some don't get their packet until the meeting is past. Seems kind of ridiculous to send it to Memphis and have it sent right back where it started. When I say slow, I mean 10 days to 2 weeks.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    It's not a po box it's a mail box if a package is delivered the mailman usually rings the bell to let someone know. That's great if someone is home. Other wise it's left at the door. As far as slow mail, it's crazy. I can get something from across the country in 2 days but something mailed from a mile away might take over a week to get. No rhyme or reason. I should note there have been issues in the neighborhood. I had a gps stolen out of my car and 3 months ago some kid was shot about a half mile away from me. The cops said it was an isolated incident and gang related. It's not like I live an the getto, it's Virginia Beach but as we all know it doesn't really matter where you live crime can happen anywhere. I'm just a a loss as to what more I can do.

Get a locking mail box. We had mail theft years ago. DIY: cut a flap in the box's door and bent it inward. I leave an unlocked padlock inside and my postal carrier has agreed to put the padlock on after the mail is delivered.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

You will know if it got to your PO

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...n_input.action
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...n_input.action
    I'll look into that!

Boolit Master
    Order something from amazon and watch the tracking info. The ones who steel packages can't resist a amazon taped box

Locking box, if they try to break that video camera. Or even a trail cam not in use. Put it where they can't get to it without a ladder, and noise. Should discourage casual lifters.

We had a couple of packages go missing. My wife had actually ordered 2 25 lb boxes of cat liter from Walmart and they disappeared. Someone thought they had something good and was disappointed.

The other option is one of those rather inexpensive driveway alarms from Harbor Freight. Those work rather well as long as someone is around to hear it.

Banned

a post office box is less than 60$ a year.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have mail missing all the time it is so bad I will not mail anything from my house I take everything to post office. And the worst part is its not a their it is the postal worker. I count think they steal it its just plain incompetents. I've had them drop a box of mail for the other 40 houses on my road. If you try to complain at the post office you may as well be talking to a rock. There is no one above the post office I can find to complain as if that would do any good. I feel very lucky when I get anything. As you may be able to tell the mail service is one of my big gripes.

Boolit Master
    Red bear I hesitate to point the finger but I know what you are saying. I am definitely not 100% convinced that someone is taking the mail. I am home a large portion of the time the mail is delivered. And I know for a fact that mail has been delivered to the wrong address as I have received others mail. I mark it wrong address and put it back in the mail box( or if it belongs next door, I bring it to the right party). I am sure that others are not as honest. That's one of the reasons I have asked for tracking numbers. As least I will know when it's been delivered. Somewhere. I fear that there is no easy solution to my problem. I certainly don't have any extra funds for added security as I am on social security and it is my only income. I can't even even replace the mailbox without permission. It's my sons home, it's a rental with a home owners association. I fear my only option is to be diligent and keep my eyes open in hopes of catching someone or something. To accuse anybody without proof would just cause more problems than it would solve.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=DCP;4147082]Sign up for informed delivery at USPS

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...n_input.action[/QUOTE

Works very well, they are expanding service to packages also.

Boolit Master
    Wrong delivery is your carrier's doing. ... period!

You have been doing your due diligence by marking it so, but some of your neighbors have not. We have fought this several times over the years and I strongly suggest that you and your affected neighbors go to a supervisor and tell them in no uncertain terms that you will contact your congress person if it's not remedied. That way he or she will know how to vote the next time the duds go begin' for a raise!

(Also your PO will know you mean business)

Three44s

I've lived in NWA for almost 8 years. Fayetteville PO and delivery to my first house was fantastic. 99.9% of mail arrived on time and that included lead. Great driver.
    Been here in Springdale for over 2 yrs now. Mail delivery has been VERY spotty. Items arrive two to three days later. Nothing that I'm aware of has not been delivered, packages usually in mailbox (it's big and a lot fits into it) or brought to door. But I'll bet money the driver either skips, or is out sick and no one else delivers at least one day in 6. Times vary considerably, from morning to 4pm. And I have received other folks mail MANY times. I'm assuming mine has gone to them too! I'm here 95% of the time and get mail fairly quickly ever day. Part of working from home and a 400ft drive is exercise for me also. Hit or miss with your problem. I'd bring up with postmaster again if package goes missing.

Boolit Master
    Well here's an update. Today I received a package from across the country that was mailed 2 days ago. No problems. Could it be the my missing mail problem has been rectified? I can only hope!
    I like to thank everyone for there suggestions and I will update as this progresses as I don't think it's quite over.

Boolit Master
    Complain to the local post Master and work your way up the chain of command.
    Years ago we had mail issues, the local PO just blew them off.
    After my wife got through, the local po had flyers with the postmasters contact info plastered all over the office, we we're on a first name basis with the regional postmaster who would call to check on our mail and had received calls from the postmaster general in Washington.
    Iirc, the local postmaster was replaced.
    This was over 10 years ago, but Becky sure got a great response and things were changed at the post office.

Took some leg work as the local post office stonewalled her at first, but after she worked the chain of command they sure had a different attitude.

Actually surprised me how well the USPS handled the situation.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

I am currently working on an issue. I mailed a wood chisel to the Houston area, just ahead of the storm, 8/28. USPS notified me that delivery might be delayed for weather related reasons. 9/4 the buyer emails me, asking: Where is my package, USPS marked delivered. I filed a claim. Yesterday, the chisel was in my mailbox, mailed from Arkansas, with a Postmark of August 12. When I went to the PO to remail, they checked the tracking and could not figure out what had happened. I can go back Monday, to see what they figured out, in the meantime I am out the cost of remailing.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Ask for the name and number of the local postal inspector. They work within and know the ropes, and are generally pretty sharp. One of my wife's cousins was one, and he got some deserving people fired for such things as this. And he'll know how to do things, and will most likely make the problem "go away" even if he doesn't find out who it is or why they're doing it. The postal service has many good folks, but like every other group, some "bad apples" are in there too. Probably THE biggest influence for good or ill is the local postmaster, but don't judge unless and until you know what's going on and why.

And things like this DO need to be brought to light! Ol' Ben Franklin probably turns over in his grave when one of his boys or girls goes bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast