WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger upgrade

Boolit Buddy

Glock trigger upgrade

like to here from guys who upgrade there Glock Stock trigger.
    My 17 gen4 has lots of take up before the break I just returned a lonewolf Tigger with a gen 4 bar to Brownells never got past fitting the set screws.
    1 screw no problem the other screw was in the trigger housing but that all she wrote,did break the tiny Allen.
    I can't believe they would sell this trigger set up without installed at the factory.
    Now I look at DK also OC upgrade not sure which one to purchase
    I have a 3.5 trigger break but would like to remove some of the pre travel
    Re set is good.

Boolit Master

The only thing I've done on mine is a 3.5lb connector and a NY olive trigger spring. Due to the design of the glock, pulling the trigger tensions the striker until the connector directs the trigger bar downward disengaging the trigger bar from the striker (gun fires). Without limiting some of the trigger return, we are stuck with the moderate length of pull. My setup removed the "wall" and gave me more of a double action revolver trigger pull.

The glock will never have a 1911 single action trigger due to the design and safeties on the pistol.

Banned

I agree. theres only so much you can do. There not target guns or were ever designed to be. Mine all get a wolf spring kit and a 3.5 disconnect and I live with what I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    The only thing I've done on mine is a 3.5lb connector and a NY olive trigger spring. Due to the design of the glock, pulling the trigger tensions the striker until the connector directs the trigger bar downward disengaging the trigger bar from the striker (gun fires). Without limiting some of the trigger return, we are stuck with the moderate length of pull. My setup removed the "wall" and gave me more of a double action revolver trigger pull.

The glock will never have a 1911 single action trigger due to the design and safeties on the pistol.

I just tried out a Glock pistol for the first time yesterday. The trigger drove me nuts. I am used to triggers on 1911 pistols and Smith K frame revolvers(single action pull). Even the single action pull on my Taurus PT92 is better.
    The only way I could manage the Glock trigger is to stop shooting my other handguns. Not going to happen.

Banned

Ya there worse then even cheap sa and da revolvers. Although I have seen some ruger da guns that were probably harder to shoot in DA mode. I can shoot them with battle accuracy but sure wouldn't take any of mine to a bullseye match or even a ppc shoot. Some do though. But the although ive seen them in those competitions ive yet to see a first place trophy go to someone shooting a glock. Maybe a plate shoot though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I just tried out a Glock pistol for the first time yesterday. The trigger drove me nuts. I am used to triggers on 1911 pistols and Smith K frame revolvers(single action pull). Even the single action pull on my Taurus PT92 is better.
    The only way I could manage the Glock trigger is to stop shooting my other handguns. Not going to happen.
    I thought exactly the same thing when I bought my first Glock. I changed basically everything inside and got the trigger pull to 3lb with no over travel with a total cost of around $60. I can now accurately shoot my Glock 23 or my stock out of the box target model 35. The trigger will never be as sweet as a S&W or a tuned 1911 but it is what it is.

Boolit Grand Master
    The reason I converted to a Glock for SD is that I did not want a "sweet" trigger like my Kimbers.

If someone wants a target gun, buy a target gun. I'd you want a gun that will reduce the chance of an AD when you are under stress, buy a gun made for that. Different "tools" for different jobs. I have used a screwdriver as a chisel....after grinding on it, it kind of worked.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I never understand statements like this. Every gun I own has a different trigger pull. I learn how to shoot each one. If I wanted to shoot really accurately I would get rid of all but one. The triggers are different between the DA revolvers I own. Maybe it's because I grew up shooting striker fired along w/ all the other types. But I don't find them hard to shoot accurately. I'm guessing learning to ride the reset is what throws a lot of people off. The triggers don't break like glass and can't be made to.

Boolit Master

A person that can shoot well, can usually shoot well with any platform. It's all about steady pressure on the trigger. A light single action trigger pull can and usually is a crutch to a new/untrained shooter that helps mitigate flinching and jerking induced movement into the pistol upon firing. I shoot a double action smith revolver much more accurately and consistently than a semi-auto. I do like a light single action trigger pull on the firearms that it is appropriate for, such as my kumber 1911 and ruger 22 pistols and SA revolovers. I like both nice crisp bolt action triggers and 2 stage AR triggers. It's all about the platform and what can/should be done.

If you go too far with the glock, you get failure to fire from poor engagement on the striker block safety in the slide. The glock trigger is...well...a Glock trigger.

You can't tune it to be anything else.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 09-08-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I never understand statements like this. Every gun I own has a different trigger pull. I learn how to shoot each one. If I wanted to shoot really accurately I would get rid of all but one. The triggers are different between the DA revolvers I own. Maybe it's because I grew up shooting striker fired along w/ all the other types. But I don't find them hard to shoot accurately. I'm guessing learning to ride the reset is what throws a lot of people off. The triggers don't break like glass and can't be made to.
    Let me try to explain my issue. Years ago, when I didn't know any better, I developed a flinch due to too much recoil and shooting clay targets where you want the gun to go off NOW. My reflexes still say "pull the trigger when the sights line up".
    I know that isn't the proper way to do it but I am having trouble anticipating the shot.
    When that Glock trigger drags a little bit before it actually breaks, my flinch goes into overdrive. My first shot with that Glock 34 was more than a foot off point of aim at 7 yards due to the flinch kicking in. In archery, it is called target panic. And it really is a form of nervous panic that only takes place when the sights line up and you want the gun to go off.
    When I have a clean, fairly light trigger, I don't flinch like that.
    This need of mine for a light trigger may well be a crutch, but it helps me shoot accurately.
    When I handled the trigger properly, the gun shot well. I am just having a problem with a long, gritty trigger pull. I don't do well with DA pulls on revolvers either.
    If I were to stop shooting the handguns I have set up with lighter, crisp triggers and only shot the Glock, I could learn to shoot it adequately if not well. I am not going to do that.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That makes complete sense and I understand why. The usual answer you get is "because it's not a 1911 trigger I can't shoot it".

Boolit Master

You can spend a lot of money trying to upgrade a Glock's trigger and still not get one as good as a very cheap M1911's trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    You can spend a lot of money trying to upgrade a Glock's trigger and still not get one as good as a very cheap M1911's trigger.
    I asked the owner of the shooting range where I tried out the Glock about that. He said he had a Glock 34 that he had worked on the trigger and made it better. He also said, as you did, that it would never be as good as the 1911 trigger I was used to(Springfield Armory Range Officer at 3.5lb).
    As others have said, it wasn't designed for target shooting. It was designed as a safe trigger for a defensive/combat handgun. It performs that function well enough.

Boolit Master

I asked the owner of the shooting range where I tried out the Glock about that. He said he had a Glock 34 that he had worked on the trigger and made it better. He also said, as you did, that it would never be as good as the 1911 trigger I was used to(Springfield Armory Range Officer at 3.5lb).
    As others have said, it wasn't designed for target shooting. It was designed as a safe trigger for a defensive/combat handgun. It performs that function well enough.
    Well, one could also say that the M1911 was designed as a combat handgun...

But that didn't stop it from having a good trigger.

Good point.

The Glock Trigger is closest to a sling shot. However it can be learned, and if you want to shoot one well you will have to practice.

I have (as most of you should know by now) 4 Glocks. A 21SF a 36 a 23 and a 35 all have the same stock triggers which are well broken in, with 5.5lb Connectors.

In "Skill Builder" Courses at Front Sight (next step above basic courses) You learn how to come up to what is known as "Slack Plus" or essentially take out all the slack and most of the creep in the trigger. IE: you bring it up to just before let off. You do this everytime you depress the trigger and it becomes second nature very quickly. I do it the first thing after I verify the gun is clear before dry practice, and as the gun is coming to point between steps 4 and 5 from the holster.

What this does for you is increase the amount of time you have for Sight Alignment before you break the shot, which all comes into play as soon as you go under time pressure.

Then when the sights align you apply that last little bit of pressure to break the shot and then "Trap" the trigger to the rear. Very important to trap the trigger on any Semi Auto Firearm as it is the "follow thru" you need to keep on the gun for the next shot. If you release the trigger you get to start all over.

Then as you ease the trigger forward til the disconnector resets you are right back at Slack Plus and ready to break the next shot when the sights come to bare. All my triggers have about 1/8" over travel, and this is not a big handicap because I know it's there, but never think of it. It is only a handicap if all you have shot is 1911's. You have to learn a new trigger and that doesn't mean you have to forget the 1911, the Glock is just different,,, just like every other gun you have.

This takes a lot of practice but once you've got it you can go right back after not practicing for a month or so in a few dry fire repetitions. I shoot a lot of politicians on TV which keeps my Trigger Control and Sight Picture right up to snuff.

Another thing that really helps with Glocks is getting your Grip right. Your Trigger Finger should only have the front portion of the front pad on the trigger only enough to depress the safety. The rest of the finger should not be touching the gun at all. see Pics below.

That way the large muscle in you finger is NOT on the frame of the gun. If it is on the gun, as your finger contracts that muscle expands and pushes the gun to the left. This is called "mashing" and causes shots to go low left. You can see it in the sights as you break the shot.

All of this is meant to show you that it can be done, and anyone can do it as long as they understand what they are trying to accomplish.

It's as simple as that.

Don said it right when he talked about not wanting a 2lb 1911 trigger on a Defensive Gun, and I agree with this totally. On a decent 1911 the trigger movement is very nearly unnoticeable. You only increase pressure until it breaks, because there is no creep. Once you drop the safety the only thing between you and lead flying is your brain.

In a high stress situation your brain isn't going to work very well, if at all.

Everyone needs to figure this out as it is nearly 100% true across the board, and you are probably NOT the exception.

And accepting the fact that you aren't going to think your way thru these circumstances maybe hard to accept, but you will either accept it, or become the victim of it.

That's where that 5.5lb Glock Trigger saves your butt.

Randy

Attachment 203624

Attachment 203625
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-08-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

W.R.Buchanan-----I shoot a lot of politicians on TV which keeps my Trigger Control and Sight Picture right up to snuff.

I just about choked laughing when I read that.
    What you described as "slack plus" was how I finally got the Glock trigger under somewhat decent control. With practice, I could do that.
    I'm just not certain I want to spend the time and the money to learn that process when my other handguns don't need that particular technique.
    I will need to think about that for a time.

Taz: It doesn't cost anything to shoot the Politicos on TV. I did it tonight and you try for head shots. You are also under time pressure as they change the screen shots quickly, so you have to get the shot off before the screen changes.

One of the good things about Glocks is that they can be dry fired endlessly without harm to the gun. You can also see where the sights were when the shots break as there is no recoil or report to distract you. When you get to where you can hold the sights rock solid steady as you break the shot for about a dozen repeats in a row, you are pretty much there, and can quit for the evening. it might take 50 or so repeats to get 10-12 right in a row.

I do this with 4 different guns, so there is a slightly different feel with each of them, but they are still very close and the transition is easy.

My hardest one is the G35 with the red dot sight. The red dot is the hardest to keep steady during the trigger pull and it is also the easiest to see any movement during the trigger pull. So it is really challenging, but the reward is being able to hit closer to the intended POA.

Randy

The only thing you miss out on is the recoil impulse, which you can easily adjust to when you go live fire.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Practicing Elvis head shots on the TV is about as stupid as you can get.

That's where that 5.5lb Glock Trigger saves your butt. Another moronic comment again my opinion.

If you cannot master ANY gun you pick up and put in your hand its time to hang up the sport and start knitting socks.

The Glock trigger can be made so one can shoot it reliably without flinching. Thanks to the parts I changed in my 23 I have NO overtravel on the trigger because now the overtravel is adjustable. The worthless trigger pull is now a reliable 3.00 lbs on my 23. ANYONE can now shoot my 23 and be accurate with it. Some seem to feel the need for a 5.5 lb trigger on a carry gun. I don't happen to share that Particular idea. EVERYTHING I carry has a 3lb trigger. Stress or no stress I have mastered the 3.00 lb trigger. I have probably shot a few thousand rounds thru my 23 now with the aftermarket parts still running fine and my ability to use the three lb trigger still intact.

My 35 as I purchased it used has also had a number of upgrades done and is identical to my 23's trigger. Not problem hitting exactly what
    I aim at without trying to play Elvis with the TV. Having said the above paragraph I would point out that I wouldn't for example hand my 23 over to Taz and expect him to have complete control right off the bat. I took quite a few rounds for me to completely get used to the lighter trigger and the different feel after I modified it from its original form. I would suggest instead that someone wanting to carry and use a modified Glock not even shoot it in its nasty stock form and simply make the parts changes right from the get go before even firing the first shot thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Taz: It doesn't cost anything to shoot the Politicos on TV.

One of the good things about Glocks is that they can be dry fired endlessly without harm to the gun.
    I would still have to purchase the pistol. I am not sure I want to do that.
    Most recently produced pistols can be dry fired without harm.

6bg6ga-- "If you cannot master ANY gun you pick up and put in your hand its time to hang up the sport and start knitting socks."

That line in your post kind of leaps out at me and I just have to disagree with it.
    There are lots of reasons someone might not be able to master a handgun. There are lots of handguns out there I would never be able to master due to physical limitations and constraints. Some just don't feel right or fit my hand well. Others have enough recoil it actually hurts to shoot them(arthritis in my wrist). With some, the design of the pistol doesn't allow for the dimensions of my hand(the Ruger Blackhawks come to mind).
    I probably will never "master" the handguns I have now. I will certainly be able to shoot them adequately. I have seen masters shoot and I know I am not and will never be one of them.
    It is great that you have been able to modify the trigger on your Glock to make it suit you and your style. It is also a very good thing that some one recognized the issue and developed a solution. I am just not sure I want to walk down that road at this time.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-09-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast