WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: What alloy for 35 rem?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

What alloy for 35 rem?

I'm going to GC and PC the boolits and try and run them 2000 plus fps if accuracy is there.

My plan is to use AC COWW with 2% pewter. I would like them alloy to be soft enough to mushroom p. I'm using a Lee 200g mold and run them out of a Marlin 336 and 7600 Remington.

I found this pic yesterday. I believe it was ACCOWW around 2000fps.

My COWW are 13.4 BH and adding pewter will no doubt make it harder. This guy is running 12bh. He added 20% pure load to the mix and his boolit fragmented into pieces. How could I bring my BH Down without fragmenting? 50/50 with 6% pewter I'm guessing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	203554

Boolit Master

Adding pure lead should decrease fragmenting/fracturing. A good hunting allow is 50/50 wheelweight/pure with 1% tin added, but it depends on bullet shape and velocity as far as the results. Larry Gibson mixes wheelweight alloy with 2%tin and then dilutes by half with pure to get 50/50 with 1% tin.

You might start with a 75/25 ww/pure with some tin and see for yourself what expansion is and if it is suitable for your needs.

If you are powder coating, you should be able to get by with a bit softer alloy than shooting a lubed grease groove boolit.

Banned
    Here is a link worth reading:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...Remington.html

2000 fps is about the limit with common 200 gr factory jacketed loads.

The best terminal performance for thin skinned game is the Hornady bullet.

Any lead boolit will be range limited. The few times I used cast on deer, I take high shoulder shots to break them down on the spot.

A .357 hole through the lungs will not kill quickly.

As much as I love cast, in a 35 Rem for deer/black bear the Hornady 200 gr FTX is the best choice to maximize wounding and
    game recovery.

Please feel confident in your lead loads. I use a 220gr HP with gas check right at 2K and nothing has went far after taking one through the vitals. I have shot deer and hogs with this load. alloy I use is 3-3-94 but 2-2-96 would work as well, especially PC'd.

And for a little data with the first few kills....
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...olit-Load-Data

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    Here is a link worth reading:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...Remington.html

2000 fps is about the limit with common 200 gr factory jacketed loads.

The best terminal performance for thin skinned game is the Hornady bullet.

Any lead boolit will be range limited. The few times I used cast on deer, I take high shoulder shots to break them down on the spot.

A .357 hole through the lungs will not kill quickly.

As much as I love cast, in a 35 Rem for deer/black bear the Hornady 200 gr FTX is the best choice to maximize wounding and
    game recovery.
    My current jacketed(hot) load chronys at 2300 with 180g Speer hot cores. I can shoot MOA with it and will blow silver dollar size holes in and out of whitetails at a 75 yards. Just would like to have a cast boolit option as well. Received my mold today. The Lee is shorter and has a wider metplate than the rcbs option.

I just liked how the above mushrooms looked out to a 100 yards...they look like what a core loct dose.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Banned

I cut my ww's with soft lead 3-1 and add maybe 1% tin [more like .8%]
    then water drop from the mold.

you'll do fine with anything in that ball park shot at about 2-K fps.
    don't get all wrapped up about exact alloy or exact velocity.
    get what you can get and work the accuracy angle, then put the bullet where it needs to be.

Boolit Grand Master
    use what you have been using you will be fine
    I don't pc so I can't comment on that
    I use a gc'd boolit with a lead /tin alloy or 50/50 ww/pb
    but different cals get their alloy so I use 25/1 for my 45/70 and 50/50 in my 358 win.
    but again mine wear a gc
    above all else repeatable accuracy is the first thing I look for when choosing a hunting boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I use COWWs +2% tin then mixed 50/50 with lead for my RCBS 35-200-FN cast bullets. These are pushed to 2150 fps out of my M91 Argie 35 Rem. I also HP the bullets 3/16" deep with the 1/8" Forster HP tool. [Note; I also do the same for 7mm through 375 H&H for cast hunting bullets used in them] It works for me.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

BTW; For practice I use the same bullet cast of COWWs + 2% tin WQ'd with the same load. These are not HP'd. They can also be shot all day maintaining accuracy where as the softer alloyed bullets need the barrel cleaned every 8 to 10 shots to maintain the 100 and 200 yard accuracy shown in the target photo.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    35-180 powder coated with a home made gas check, shot at 1900 feet per second out of a H&R break open Handi Rifle. Shoot with no lead and with open sights minute of pie plate at 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master
    I also use a 260 gr boolit from Mountain Molds and I have had my
    200 gr RCBS in Erik's H.P to rotate the tires
    I have had complete length wise penetration on whitetail
    from a frontal chest on shot with the 35 cal boolits
    I found the gas check when I started my gut job
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I use COWWs +2% tin then mixed 50/50 with lead for my RCBS 35-200-FN cast bullets. These are pushed to 2150 fps out of my M91 Argie 35 Rem. I also HP the bullets 3/16" deep with the 1/8" Forster HP tool. [Note; I also do the same for 7mm through 375 H&H for cast hunting bullets used in them] It works for me.
    I just ordered a HPer from midway. I'll try it on the lee's. I like the HP look.

The forester didn't work in my rcbs trimmer it's too big....I guess I could just find a drill bit that is the correct diameter that will fit in my trimmer chuck and roll with it?

Boolit Grand Master

Use a 1/8" drill shortened to the same length as the Forster drill so it won't flex. Make a .014 thick shim to just fit around the shank to fit the hole in the trimmer. Diameter needs to be .152 - .153 to fit the RCBS trimmer.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-26-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I found that out to, just bought the correct trimmer
    problem solved
    I do not like to cobble things together and not having the correct tools to
    remedy the problem that was the only solution for me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    Approximate "Maximum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)
    Plumbers lead, stick on WW 13,000 - (Black Powder Only)
    Wheel weights / clip-on 25,000 - Non-Magnum handgunloads, Rifles to 1,800 fps
    Lyman # 2 (alloy varies in Lyman cast bullet books) 35,000 - Magnum handgun & rifles to 2,000 fps
    Quench-cast WW (dropped from mould into cool water) 48,000 - Magnum handgun& rifles to 2,200 fps
    Oven heat treated WW 55,000 - Jacketed velocities in handgunsand rifles with quality bore & balanced load
    Bullet BHN / "Minimum" Chamber Pressure For Lead Alloys (PSI)
    The formula (from the pages of HandLoader Magazine) to determine at what pressure an alloy of given BHN will obturate the base of the bullet and seal the bore. If the bullet is too hard to obturate, gas cutting usually occurs on the base band on the non-driving side of the rifling and barrel leading is likely. Simply multiply the alloy BHN by 1,422. Example: Alloy BHN of 12 multiplied by 1422 = 17,064. An alloy of 12 BHN should be used with a load that develops a "minimum" of 17,000 psi. Need more info on minimum / maximum alloy BHN? These Glen E. Fryxell articles explain alloy BHN in easy to understand language.
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    Regards
    John

I casted and PC 10 lbs of 50/50 COWW and pure lead plus I added 2% pewter. Separated in 1 grain increments by color. Bought a reamed out Lee sizer die at .359 so I'm just waiting for the GC to show in the mail and then I'll be ready to load test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	205858