Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: S&W 629 versus Super Red Hawk Hunter

I have a Ruger Super Red Hawk and a S&W 29 Classic. Both have 5" barrels.

I save the heavy loads for the SRH and usually run 429421's with 8gr Unique in the Smith.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	204583
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Waco,

Nice!

I would add that the Smiths are certainly capable of comfortably handling normal SAAMI pressures.

However an owner of them has every right to further limit their loading of one as they chose.

Best regards

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the Smith and Wesson Warranty claim directly from their website.

LIMITED WARRANTY
    For Owners Within The United States.

This warranty is granted by Smith & Wesson Corp. This warranty is effective from the date of purchase and applies to the original owner of any firearm. With respect to such firearms, this warranty supersedes any and all other warranties.

Smith & Wesson firearms are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which Smith & Wesson receives written notice within one year from the date of purchase by the original owner, will be remedied by Smith & Wesson without charge within a reasonable time after such notification and delivery of the firearm as provided below.

In the event of an emergency (repairs needed by law enforcement, an upcoming match or hunting trip), call 1-800-331-0852, ext. 4125 and ask for 911 Priority Repair Service. This allows you to speak with a Smith & Wesson representative. Immediately upon receipt, your firearm will be assigned to a gunsmith. After the work is completed, we will return your Smith & Wesson firearm via overnight delivery.

Warranty claims (in writing) and the firearm concerned should be delivered to Smith & Wesson’s Customer Service Department, 2100 Roosevelt Avenue, Springfield, Massachusetts 0 1104. In addition, a copy of the bill of sale in the owner’s name, or a copy of ATF Form 4473 indicating date of purchase must be included. It is important that the owner comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations in the shipment of firearms to Smith & Wesson. Warranty claims should state the model and serial number of the firearm concerned and the description of the difficulty experienced. It is recommended that shipments be insured by the owner, since Smith & Wesson will accept no responsibility for loss or damage in transit. Transportation and insurance charges for return to owner will be paid by Smith & Wesson if the claim is covered by the warranty. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL SMITH & WESSON BE RESPONSIBLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WITH RESPECT TO ECONOMIC LOSS, INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, WHETHER AS A RESULT OF BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE. Some States do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Smith & Wesson will not be responsible for:

Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling, unauthorized adjustments or modifications made or attempted by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following Smith & Wesson authorized procedures, or failure to follow the disassembly instructions in the Smith & Wesson manual.
    Use of defective or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, abuse, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use.
    Criminal misuse, negligence or use under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase. The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional defects; it does not include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines or sights. The Lifetime Service Policy is in addition to and not an extension of the Smith & Wesson Warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from State to State.
    Note: All liability is excluded in the event that the instructions in the Smith & Wesson manual are not observed

Personally I find the FELT recoil of and double action gun to be unpleasant. During my years that I thought the max load for the 44 mag 300gr bullets and 296 was only a suggestion I was shooting a Ruger super Blackhawk. Seeing a very nice 629-3 that was beautiful my age still ended with the word teen I had to have it. The very first day I shot it with those loads that were meant for stopping freight trains was quite an I opener. As I started looking for a load that left my elbow and shoulder in working order I found 10gr of unique and a 240 bullet was all I could tolerate out of the big smith so down the road it went for a big Ole Ruger Redhawk it was one of the more rare versions the was blue and the 7.5 inch barrel was cut for a scope. My expectations and excitement were high because after all it was a Ruger and at the time Ruger = man sized real magnum loads well when than funky bump in the grip beat my hand into submission well before the box of loads was gone. Since then I have acquired exactly 2 da guns one is a awesome 625-8 That has a day pull sub 7 lds. And a super Redhawk in 480 that is so big that running it in da mode is just a dream. The smith gets used at our local pin shoots where light loads are all that's needed in da form the big Ole is shot said and kept around 1000-1100. When I'm feeling young a bfr gets used with a 425gr bullet and at 1250+ GPS it doesn't take long to Remer I'm getting older.
    This story is what I think of when I hear that smith and wesson won't hold up to a steady diet of hot 44 loads. It makes me wonder what is a hot loaded 44 in their eyes and how much shooting those loads do they actually shoot. Most
    Of the guys I know that could where out a smith move on to bigger calibers so the average shooter has nothing worry about. A long story to get my idea across and as always ymmv

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234