Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP-100 44 special vs 696 44 special vs 69 44 Mag

Boolit Grand Master

GP-100 44 special vs 696 44 special vs 69 44 Mag

Anyone have a chance to compare of of these on the range? Opinions?

Boolit Buddy
    I only have experience with the gp and it is a winner in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by CIC View Post
    I only have experience with the gp and it is a winner in my book.
    Same here.
    Henry

Boolit Master
    They each are used for different tasks, what will you be using it for?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    They each are used for different tasks, what will you be using it for?

Honestly, I have no clue. I was thinking lighter weight woods carry, but my G20 carries that honor. I was then thinking perhaps a smaller framed powerhouse but then why not get the slightly larger 329PD? So I just don't know other than curiosity's sake.

I bought the stainless GP100 and am waiting for the longer barreled blued revolver. That one may be worthy of the trip to Bowen to make into my definition of the perfect Alabama revolver.
    Tony

Vendor Sponsor

I only have the Smith. It has been my mountain hiking sidearm for 20 years. Never every had to use it. I would be interested in learning about the Ruger.
    Chill Wills

Banned

I love my 696. Its not for sale for any amount. Ive had gp100s in 357. Good stout gun but just not as smooth or classy as a smith. I also had one of those rossi 5 shots 44 specials. It was a combo of the worse of both guns. Sloppy like a ruger and weaker like the smith. I guess if I had to start today id look at a 69. but I sure wouldn't part with my 696 to get one.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    My 24 smith is my favorite, the 44spc is a great all around cartridge.

Boolit Master
    My vote is for the 69. It is a compact package that is accurate. And you can fire 44 specials in it anytime you wish. It will also handle full power 44 mag loads without issue. Action is smooth, single action trigger pull is excellent.
    329? Not for me. I owned one once. Most brutal revolver I ever shot, period.
    My 69 is a keeper.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I've got the 696, and mine isn't going anywhere either! I have a Clements 41 gp100,, and a STD gp100, I like them both. The Clements stays forever , the STD GP probably as well, just cause it's so pratical. Also a 41mag titanium Taurus, for comparison. It's for sale, unlike the others. Now, I have been watching the 69 market, I may grab one in 4 inch with the new rifling, but a 4 inch GP would probably win out. I love old Smith's, new ones no so much, would need to be pretty special.
    So I vote Gp100, but it's close, especially given both guns "birthing" issues. For a "few" hundred more than a new gun, I could have another Clements gun built. And patience while he works
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I bought a 4-1/4" Smith mdl 69 a few months ago. When I got it the action was so rough, it felt like two files rubbing together when the revolver was operated in single stage. The trigger pull buried my gauge which went up to 72 ounces.When I took off the side plate, I noticed a lot of wear around the hammer stud boss. I sent it back to Smith in early August, and just got it back last Thursday. It was much smoother to operate and the trigger pull was "only" 68 ounces. I installed an 11 lb Wolff rebound slide spring, and now I have a really nice operating revolver with a trigger pull of 40 ounces. As soon as I receive the Patridge sight and get it installed, I'll give it a real good work out.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I love my 696 and paid $950 for it used after some body here made me aware of them. My gun is the smoothest revolver I have ever owned and the D/A trigger pull is right at 10 lbs and S/A is 3 lbs and both smooth as glass.

I have handled several of the Ruger GP100/44's and they are nice guns, but they are not nearly as nice as the S&W 696's. These guns were specifically designed to take the place of the no longer made 696's which S&W mutated into the M69. They are not as expensive as even my used 696 which had only had 50-100 rounds fired before I got it.

For the money the Ruger is a great gun and if I didn't already have the 696 I would have one for sure.

Unfortunately the 696's are not easy to find and are expensive when you do.

If you are going to buy a new GP100/44 I would suggest insisting on a gun made no earlier than about June of this year. There were teething problems with the guns and there are several threads about this here.

All of these have been corrected but I would still measure the Throats of the cylinder, and check to make sure the Front sight Dovetail is not cut too deep.(big gap under FS)

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I've used the 2 smiths. I'd recommend the 69, it's a terrifically accurate little gun, and, like the glock 19 is the perfect size autoloader, a 4" L frame is the perfect sized revolver, and has proven quite up to the task of plenty of warm/hot loads.

I've had the M69 for three years now. It's hands down my favorite revolver. I use 44 special loads in a 44 mag case for practice runs, and have a couple of mid and factory type loading for woods use and hunting. Good grips make a world of a difference, I'm using Herrett Jordan Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    I've had the M69 for three years now. It's hands down my favorite revolver. I use 44 special loads in a 44 mag case for practice runs, and have a couple of mid and factory type loading for woods use and hunting. Good grips make a world of a difference, I'm using Herrett Jordan Troopers.
    Mind posting a picture with those grips? Sure wish they'd do a "569" model, gloss blued sure would look fine on this one!

as requested. I have a set coming for my 627-5 too. If I end up deciding to change the magna/Tyler t combo on my 686+ edc wheelgun, it'll be for a set of Herrett's as well. Not associated with them, other than a happy customer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0154.jpg   IMG_0155.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    as requested. I have a set coming for my 627-5 too. If I end up deciding to change the magna/Tyler t combo on my 686+ edc wheelgun, it'll be for a set of Herrett's as well. Not associated with them, other than a happy customer.

Sure looks nice. How's it do with boolits?

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Sure looks nice. How's it do with boolits?
    Sir, I have had very good experience with boolits. Im using 240gr SWC over unique, haven't chrono'd yet. Should be between 950-1000fps according to the manual. I can keep the full cylinder on a soda can at 50 yards. I also am using some 255ish go boolits that a member here cast. They aren't as good, but I'm not done with load development yet. For full disclosure, I did run 200rds of win white box, and another 200 rds of my jacketed handloads before the leading was reduced to almost none. My boolits are at .430, and I have yet to measure my bore or throat. I carry it often, and it's a usual suspect on my range visits. I shoot it usually 2-3x a month, with an average of 300rds a month, up to about 500 rds a month. There is no discernible end shake or cylinder movement either. Knock on wood. If are ever near Fort Knox, KY, hit me up and we will head to the range with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    My model 69 has been a *** as far shooting cast has been concerned. It leads like crazy. I have been fire lapping the bore after Doug Guy took care of the undersized throats, but other projects and fun stuff have pushed this to the back burner.. I hope to have time to get back to this project later this fall, because I truly like the gun's size, feel, and balance, but if it won't shoot my stock 44 ammo--429-421's sized .431, It and I shall come to a parting.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast