Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .429 44sp/44-40 lead bullets?

Best .429 44sp/44-40 lead bullets?

I haven't started casting my own boolits yet, however it isn't something that's totally out of question. So I'm not sure if this is the correct section.

I'm looking for what some would agree are the best .429 diameter lead bullets for my 44 special and 44-40 Ubertis.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    What's the purpose of the ammo? Are you shooting in a competition or just plinking? Do you really want to make a BOOM, or are you just looking to knock over tin cans on the ground? You need to find what you Ubertis like best if you are going to chase accuracy.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

It will just be plinking, but I'd like to load them to old BP velocity while sticking with smokeless. Maybe 7gr of Unique? I love my 9gr Unique 45 Colt loads but also like my lighter 7.5gr Unique 45 Colt loads.

Boolit Master

For me, I have found the RCBS 44-200 round flat nose to be great in 44 Mg & 44 Spl. in my various revolvers. Some mild plinkers, others on the high side.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Bub
    The Keith SWC is a classic.

Boolit Grand Master

Kinda like apples and oranges as the Mag and the 44-40 have two different purposes. If you need to compromise then I would shoot for the 220 rnfp bullet. Now if you intend to shoot black you need plenty og grease groove. I have always had a mould for the mag and a separate mould for the 44-40 and the Mag bullet is the Keith swc and the 44-40 an RCBS rnfp.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    For me, I have found the RCBS 44-200 round flat nose to be great in 44 Mg & 44 Spl. in my various revolvers. Some mild plinkers, others on the high side.
    ^^^ yep, this or the Lee 429-200-RF would be my choice...but BEST? only your gun can tell you that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Are there any places to buy some of these bullets? Maybe a few different ones to see what my guns like?

Banned

most commercial casters will have the magma engineering 200gr bullet.
    ask for them sized to .430 diameter and not 427. [I'd try for a softer alloy than their standard 2/6/92 alloy too]

it's a RNFP design and works perfectly in either the 44-40 or the 44 mag lever guns or revolvers.

The problem is bullet size are not the same for 44sp & 44-40. When I ran an Uberti Henry in 44-40, it was the RCBS 200gr. You might get lucky & get one large enough to cast bullets that will go 0.430" for the 44sp, but even that could be too small.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Go with .430" bullet in both. Buy some 215-grain FN from Matt's Bullets to try.

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...roducts_id=275

100 box $17, just right if you want to try a few
    500 box $80
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-07-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

I have had good luck with these folks in the past.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

Banned

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-200gr-rfp-pb/

here is a direct link to the Montana bullet.
    at 102$ per 500.
    I think I would buy a 20$ mold, some lead for $60, a 20$ ladle and make my own.

Boolit Buddy

Absolutely. He's just not casting yet. No better time than the present.

I think I might start casting soon. Only problem is I have no access or time to collect lead or wheel weights. I'd be doomed to buying lead ingots online.

Boolit Buddy

I would say get your lead delivered from one of the folks selling it here in the classifieds if time is an issue. I have had wonderful luck and it averages $1.20 a pound delivered ready to cast with.

I might just do that! I absolutely love reloading. It's such a mellow time for me and is nice and calming time away from the hectic work days and what nots. I'm sure making my own bullets would be just as rewarding. I think I might start buying my lead off here now.

Boolit Master
    Most of the .44 Spl. and Magnum designs have too much "nose" projecting ahead of the bearing shank to make the OAL for a .44-40, unless you're using it in a single shot rifle.

The obsolete Ideal 429434, if you could find or replicate it, would be a good compromise, since it has the weight of the .44 Spl. designs with the short nose of the .44-40. It is a gas check design, though. Accurate or somebody should be able to replicate a version without the gas check shank, if you don't want to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Jose View Post
    The Keith SWC is a classic.
    I use a Hensley & Gibbs #503 Keith Bullet for 44 mag and 44 special. Lots of people CLAIM "Keith type" bullet designs but it is generally accepted that the #503 WAS actually designed by Elmer Keith with H&G making the original moulds.
    I shoot 8.0 gr 231 for 44 mag and 5.5 gr 231 for 44 special. Nice light plinking loads with enough punch to get where you need them to go. Sized .430" with Magma hard lube. No leading whatsoever.
    I shoot the 44 mag at 200 yards from a 5 screw pre Model 29 with iron sights and can hit a 12" steel plate MAYBE one out of 10 shots....on a good day.
    Not bad for old eyes and iron sights.
    The 44 special rounds are fired from a Ruger GP100.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 09-07-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    the rcbs .44-200 works great in my .44-40 uberti 66 Winchester. also my .44-40 Dakota saa. it also works good in a marlin .44 mag. also used it in ruger .44 mag carbines.

that bullet in those guns have taken paper, tin cans, ground hogs and even a few deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast