MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: For thought and meditation

Boolit Master

For thought and meditation

Meanwhile, Zacchaeus stood before the Lord and said, "I will give half my wealth to the poor, Lord, and if I have cheated people on their taxes, I will give them back four times as much!"

—Luke 19:8

It seems to me there are people running around today who claim to be Christians, but their lives have never shown any evidence of it. I am not suggesting that I’m the one to determine who is, and who is not, saved. But as I have often said, there will be three surprises when we get to Heaven: A lot of the people we thought would be there won’t be there, a lot of the people we never thought would be there will be there, and we will be there.

I say that with some humor, of course, but I do believe there will be surprises in Heaven.

Having said that, I also believe that if you really are a Christian there will be evidence in your life to confirm it. There are people who say, “I’m a Christian. I’m saved. I believe in Jesus.” Meanwhile, they’re out partying and getting drunk with the best or the worst of them. They’re ripping people off. They’re stealing. They’re lying. And we look at them and say, “What is wrong with this picture?”

If you’re really a Christian, there should be evidence to back it up. For example, when Zacchaeus came to faith, he was a dishonest man. He took advantage of people financially. But after his conversion, what did he do? He made restitution and paid back what he had taken from others unjustly, even adding interest.

A lot of people say they are Christians, but they have never made any attempt to right wrongs or make restitution or even give evidence to a watching world that Christ is really living inside of them.

Could people look at you and say, “I see something in you that tells me you’re a follower of Jesus”? Is there such evidence in your life?
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Thank you for the good start to my morning - It's a good lesson
    Being human is not for sissies.

Moderator Emeritus

What a great lesson today! I've long perceived that, as stated, there will be many surprises as to who will be there and who won't be. And the REASON for that, I believe, is because of the MOTIVATIONS that spur folks to do things that are generally regarded as "Christian" and "charity," etc. Christ sees into the deepest depths of our hearts, and knows WHY we do what we do. If someone tries to "trick" the Lord by simply doing something in order to receive some sort of physical or some wanted psychological blessing, then I think what they do counts for little, if anything at all.

I believe the ATTITUDE we serve Him with matters just as much, if not moreso, than what it is that we do. I see the ladies (mostly) at the little thrift store here that my wife manages, and the attitude with which they do what they do. One of the most inspiring is an older black lady whose son got gravely sick as a youth, and she prayed daily and multiple times each day, for his recovery, praying that if He'd do this for her son, she would dedicate the rest of her free time in life to doing something good for Him. And for nearly 50 years now, she's done just that, too! She is an inspiration to be around. One look into those sparkling eyes, and you just SEE the depth and intensity of her gratefulness of His healing her son.

Another is what most folks would describe as an "unattractive" fairly fat older lady with few teeth, but she's the backbone of the workers my wife has to choose from! She's there whenever she's able to be there, and her attitude is simply "What can I do today?"

We "smarter" and "richer" folks could learn a LOT from these two ladies, and a lot more very similar to them! I've been learning from very humble folks for a long time now, and you know, they really CAN be some of our best teachers, if only we see them in the right light and with the right attitude. They are wonderful folks, and part of the reason that it's long been said that if you ever find yourself destitute and in dire need, don't go to those in town with the big, fine homes. Go across the railroad tracks to the "other side" of town, and it won't be long before someone will come along and assist you and care for you. It's how po' folks have been living as a matter of course for a very long time, now, and it's really all they know. And they know from EXPERIENCE that if they help someone today, they're a lot more likely to help THEM tomorrow! "Cast thy bread upon the water." It really works, and it works consistently.

I believe these type folks will be high ranking in Heaven. Much moreso than those to whom much more was given, and who did so little to advance God's cause among us. Knowing them is a pleasure - a true "pearl of great price."

I watched a so called "Solid" Christian try to berate my father for being "Too Honest".

And then with a few soft words I watched my father destroy him. Watched him melt down.

There is a huge gap between appearance and deeds.

My father often led his neighbors in many respects. A quiet phone call or two, and we would be there, helping. And the word would go out. "Johnny J moved over and is harvesting on the Larsens, he's in hospital with a heart attack." And normally by evening it would be done.

Dad did not ask for recognition for it, nor reward.
    He did expect the Lord to take care of him when he went out of his way for others.
    And for years our neighbors worst thing they could say about my dad was "He lives in God's hip pocket, nothing touches him"

Do your work in good timely fashion, then lend a hand where you see a need.
    God helps those best who help themselves. Who are caught up, prepared, well stocked and ready for anything.

We have fires burning all over the west. Floods in texas and a hurricaine bearing down on Florida. My step daughter was here a week ago for a short visit from N Carolina.
    I told her, you get home, you make sure there is 3 weeks supply of food and water in the house. Period. Along with candles and flashlights and maybe a camp stove in case of no power. You have a week or 10 days to get ready. Do it right away, avoid the rush.

I just hope she listened.

I will be praying for those people in Florida.

Moderator Emeritus

That's the way good, solid farming communities used to be very typically. I think it sprung from the years of the Great Depression, where all a man HAD, really, was his reputation and his good will and love for his neighbors. There WAS no such thing as "crop insurance," and other means by which to assure one's livlihood, EXCEPT relying on each other in a bind. And if someone didn't contribute to helping a neighbor when their home burned or other catastrophes, like not being able to reap a crop hit, they didn't receive any help if THEY catastrophe struck! It was a very equitable and Christian way to behave, and re-emphasized their interdependence upon each other. FAith was a LOT more than just an ideological concept in those days! And that spirit is alive today in a lot more ways and places than ever gets reported. We're not nearly as bad as the media would have us think!