RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone using conicals in encore

Boolit Master

Anyone using conicals in encore

I'm looking to get away from sabots and want to shoot conicals in my encore muzzleloader. Is this pretty much impossible with the 1-28" twist?

Do the lee reals or tc maxi balls stabilize?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master

I shot some reals this evening. They shoot fine as long as I didn't go over 60gr of BH209

Targets only at 60 yards 1" dot

Last edited by glockky; 09-06-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Boolit Man
    Are you trying to get away from Sabots because of price or inconvenience ? Bore sized bullets are certainly a good option. If you don't mind playing there are a couple of good tutorials on paper patching in the stickies. I recently have been patching Lee 501-440 bullets that Idahoron describes and find them to be both easy to assemble and accurate. Yes the 1-28" will handle these options very well.

Boolit Master

I'm looking to get away from $1 a piece TC shockwave bullets. That's the only thing I could ever get to shoot real good out of my rifle.

Are you able to patch the 500 s&w bullet from the mold or do you have to size it down?

Boolit Man
    I size to .501 after patching.

Boolit Master

Anyone tried shooting the lee 501-440 bare with just lube?

I'm looking at trying this mold http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=51-440B-D.png

Boolit Master
    i bet 54bore has. i can ask him.

Boolit Master
    These are a little less if you don't want to cast and they work well.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadin...92450?___SID=U

There are also some 550 gn grease groove bullets that seem to do OK as well.

But, if you do cast there are other options. I strongly support the PP bullet with a lubed fiber wad and card wad.

What are you referring to as "real good", less than 2moa or 1moa? My encore shoots a number of projectiles well to real good. I suppose it depends on the yardage one is concerned with. If your encore shoots saboted ammo well why don't you just buy sabots for it and cast your own boolits. My go to load is the harvester sabot with a Lee 240 RN, very economical, less than 2moa, and deer haven't run past 50 yds after the shot loaded with 120gr of PDex Sel cast 66/33 Pb/WW, even with a less than perfect shot and no over damage. I hear the MMP sabot does well too.

I played with the 501 and there is very possible accuracy with BIG thumpum in the 70 gr charge volume range. It has a little quirk about BHN finikieness (if that is a word). There is also pretty decent accuracy potential with the Maxi ball pure Pb in the 60 to 70 gr range I found with the cleaner burning American Powder and still plenty of thumpum around the 100 yd range. Basically, the 501 and especially the Maxi ball are real easy on the shoulder compared to what happens on target. You should be able to get these close to the 2 MOA range in light winds. They also should be able to go to 150 yds with a little holdover if necessary even though they are more like good 100 yd loads.

That is why I prefer the Lee 240 RN is because there is a lot of ground where 200 yd shots could be taken in the hardwood ridges and with out to much holdover in lighter winds. With Idaho Ron, where he hunts he usually has time to range his target and adjust his sights. In the MI field you don't get a lot of footage material and if you see it you better identify it and shoot it pronto. I myself still have the 200 gr TC shockwaves in my ammo box in case there is the 40 acre field or clear cut that I want to hunt for a few days. With 150 gr charge that bullet will do 300 yds in light winds. You also have a little more time to judge conditions. But, if I was to sit on a property or section of woods where 150 yds was the extreme and 95% of the shots were under 100 yds for the season then the Lee 501 or the Maxi ball should be very viable.
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 09-09-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master

I shot some 370gr maxi balls the other day. They shot a 3" 5 shot group at 100 yards with no cleaning between shots. The key was using 70gr of pyrodex powder. I tried 777 and blackhorn 209 with 70 grain charges and got shotgun patterns.

The bottom 2 shots were the last 2 fired. I figure that was mainly due to the fouled bore.

And as to shooting sabots I will be honest they just do not interest me. I enjoy shooting big lead slugs and experimenting. The longest shot I'll have where I hunt is about 80 yards and that would be a stretch. All my stands are set up deep in the woods close to thick cover.
    Last edited by glockky; 09-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    i consider less than 2moa good. I have had several groups at 1moa with the big conicals, mostly due to how well i am shooting that day.

Boolit Master

I know the groups not great but it's a work in progress.

A former member here is sending me some 450gr bullets to try. That should do the trick.