Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Size before or after pc?

Boolit Buddy

Size before or after pc?

So all set up to pc. My first batch came out far better then expected.
    I am coating some 230gr .452s should I size down to .451 then coat or .452 after.
    This pc is way cool cost... well just the price of the pc from hf.
    And I do want to thank all you guys.

I'm an odd one, I size both. Especially if gas checking. Size and check, tumble and size. Just my way..

Boolit Master
    I size after powder coating. The method I use is cast, powder coat as cast and then size the power coated bullet. A little lube on the coated bullet helps thru the Lee Sizer.
    Hope others indicate their process. I have an old Lee press mounted up side down with an air cylinder to push the coated bullet thru the Lee size.

Boolit Man
    I size after. I was sizing while the boolits were still warm, but having just resized some and seeing that none had coverage issues, I'll probably add time between PC and sizing (already have time between casting and PC).

What size are they coming out of the mould? Sizing down .002" is what I limit each progression to, just in case you want to size .003" or more you can or cant without considering how hard the cast are....otherwise you can have trouble trying to size too much in one whack.
    What size do you want to end up with? That's based on adding 1 or 2 thousandths to the bore size on an auto. If you are loading for a SAA or DA revolver then what size is your cylinders? You need to size to fit those.

Me? Afflicted with OCD, well I size before PC and after...I think it gives a more uniform coating with my clear gloss PC. PC with pigment are a different horse all together...then it depends on how you are coating, what method and how you are baking and how particular you are.
    Some dump and bake and some stand each round individually and bake.

You can get a very good idea what others are doing by referring to this poll... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lt-lt-lt-lt-lt
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Man
    +1 on this

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I size after. I guess if my boolits were too small in diameter I could increase size by PC afterwards. But the coating is never going to be applied consistent enough to have the exact same thickness on each boolit.

I also size after.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Unless I'm trying to squeeze down an oversized bullet I size after coating.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I size before and after. Sizing before helps eliminate those castings that might be a bit small while sizing after the PC process gives uniformity in diameter. I take it one step further and after finial sizing coat all my PC boolits in RJL.

Boolit Buddy
    What is RJL? charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    I size before and after. Sizing before helps eliminate those castings that might be a bit small while sizing after the PC process gives uniformity in diameter. I take it one step further and after finial sizing coat all my PC boolits in RJL.
    I think you're exposing yourself to risk of adhesion problems by doing itntjat way. The sizing polishes the surface and also could contaminate it making it less toothy for bonding of coating. Then again if it passes the test then it's good to go I guess.

Boolit Master

after PC

figured I was saving some time and effort
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I think you're exposing yourself to risk of adhesion problems by doing itntjat way. The sizing polishes the surface and also could contaminate it making it less toothy for bonding of coating. Then again if it passes the test then it's good to go I guess.
    I've never had and issue with the smoothness, contaminates yes. Quite often I give em an Acetone bath, anything will stick then

DrewP "I think you're exposing yourself to risk of adhesion problems by doing itntjat way. The sizing polishes the surface and also could contaminate it making it less toothy for bonding of coating. Then again if it passes the test then it's good to go I guess."

Not sure what you mean. I size after casting to root out the culls that may have thrown too small. I size again after PC to insure uniformity since I'm not good enough at powder coating to apply the same amount of paint to each casting. When I'm finished I apply a light coat of Rooster Jacket Lube using the tumble method. This method has served me well for thousands of rounds with zero leading even when I'm pushing them down the tube at 1500 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    What is RJL? charlie
    Rooster Jacket Lube

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for speaking English .

Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    Thank you for speaking English .
    You're quite welcome. It seems we live in a world of acronyms and we all (me more than most) believe that everyone knows what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    DrewP "I think you're exposing yourself to risk of adhesion problems by doing itntjat way. The sizing polishes the surface and also could contaminate it making it less toothy for bonding of coating. Then again if it passes the test then it's good to go I guess."

Not sure what you mean. I size after casting to root out the culls that may have thrown too small. I size again after PC to insure uniformity since I'm not good enough at powder coating to apply the same amount of paint to each casting. When I'm finished I apply a light coat of Rooster Jacket Lube using the tumble method. This method has served me well for thousands of rounds with zero leading even when I'm pushing them down the tube at 1500 fps.
    Well he best surface to adhere anything to is a clean surface that has a little "tooth" to it meaning not perfectly smooth. So, squeezing it through a die both smooths the surface while also allowing the possibility of oils or other contaminates to be deposited on it. Now, if you wash them after you can probably rule out the contaminates, but the smooth will remain. Myself, I like to spray my coated bullets with a little one shot case lube to help them through the die so I know for a fact that my size die is contaminated. But, I hear you on the culling.

Cast, size, PC, size, load and shoot...recover them by the pound from my target stop...all the PC is still there on the drive bands and barrels are clean and shiny.
    Tooth or toothless and slick, that PC is still there when they go back through the pot!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast