Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: melting and dipping boolits in PC ?

Banned

melting and dipping boolits in PC ?

Powder coating melts .... correct ?

Would it be possible to melt the PC and dip the back 1/2 of boolits in it ?

That would avoid the problem with bore riders being too fat to fit into the throat.

Doesn't work that way. Sorry.
    When powder coat melts it's kind of a one shot deal.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    it becomes a liquid and then, under continued heat hardens. Do we know it will not stay in its liquid form ?

Boolit Master
    You can always try it and find out. Of course the fumes are pretty noxious . I'm guessing any normal person who values their lungs will give up even before trying the first bullet.

Additionally I'm guessing there are numerous reasons why this will not work. First the powder coat does not naturally adhere to the bullet and might run right off, second the bullets need to be heated for the powder coat to cure correctly, third the resulting diameter of the final coat if you somehow got that method to work would probably not be correct.

I can tell you from remelting powder coated bullets, it turns to nasty glob of sheet when remelted. I just imagine that will be the result for melting and dipping as well. Not to mention how much more powder it's going to consume.

If you try, please DO post results.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    Your best option would be to use the "Piglet Method" mixing 1 part PC with 3 parts acetone then dipping the bottom part of your boolits in the solution. Dry completely with a fan then bake as usual
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2250310

This is way outside the box, just brainstorming-- but... If you built one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5za9sa4-qk grabbed the boolit with + charged forceps and dipped it in the - charged powder then knocked off the excess it MIGHT work. REMEMBER, don't try this if you have a pacemaker of electronics on you.

You could try heating the boolit and dip the bottom into PC BUT I think you would just get a big glob of PC on the boolit
    Last edited by Grmps; 09-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Just tumble the bullets & remove them with nitrel gloves on, wipe the nose off. All the of the PC won't come off but most will. You could try just dipping the bearing surface in powder but it will be spotty in how much is applied & if it will stick at all. The other option is nose first thru say a card board template & spray the bearing surface.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

...Might be easier in the long run to just tumble coat and get setup with a NOE nose sizing die.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

you could cut X's or drill holes in the lid of your container [like a lid for a straw] and push the nose through and shake to coat.
    if you were gentle and worked nose down and just shook things back and forth.

If you like this application method then I suggest using a paint instead of pc. They have proven that paints can also work for our application in shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you could cut X's or drill holes in the lid of your container [like a lid for a straw] and push the nose through and shake to coat.
    if you were gentle and worked nose down and just shook things back and forth.
    I think you just had a 'vision'! That's ingenious.

When this catches on we'll be hearing sad stories about the fellas who didn't have good snap lids...or got in a hurry and didn't make sure they were firmly in place...ha! The drama will never end.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    If you like this application method then I suggest using a paint instead of pc. They have proven that paints can also work for our application in shooting.
    anyone know more about this??
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    anyone know more about this??
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-lets-find-out

You could screw cases to aluminum, Stick the nose of the boolits in the cases then spray and bake them

Boolit Master
    you could powder coat the whole boolit, then chuck it in a drill and sand off what you want gone.

I have been PC fishing jigs for a short while. What I do is use a pair of short fishing hemostats to hold the jig and then heat each one with a heat gun (count of 10 or 12) then dip it in the powder, tap off the excess and then melt it. Then bake in the oven for 20 min at 400 to set it. If the powder is light (fluffed/air bed) then you get a fairly light coat. This method is slow but it might work for just doing part of a long boolit like a bore rider.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    Powder coating melts .... correct ?

Would it be possible to melt the PC and dip the back 1/2 of boolits in it ?

That would avoid the problem with bore riders being too fat to fit into the throat.
    If you are shooting at a very high velocity you would probably get leading from the unprotected front half of the bullet when it expands into rifling.