Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodent repellent needed

Boolit Master

Rodent repellent needed

As fall comes on, we usually see more mice trying to move inside. Not getting into our house, but into other areas where they can do substantial damage. The garage, airplane hangar, and camper are the primary trouble spots for me. I saw some herbal rodent repellent sold on Amazon and wondering if anyone has had any luck with them, or could possibly recommend a homemade solution. We tried one of those electronic repellents in the garage but I don't think it made a difference.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned

plant mint around the openings.

Boolit Master
    I use a bucket trap in my barn. Works great. Take a 5gal bucket fill it 3in deep with antifreeze. Take pop bottle and drill hole in cap and bottom as centered as possible. Take straightend coat hanger put thew bottle and make sure it spins freely. Put thin belt of peanut butter around center of bottle. Put the bottle on top of bucket and cut scrap wood to make ramp to either end of bottle . The buggers climb the ramp, walk onto bottle and it spins and in the drink they go. No need to reset just empty bucket in the spring....unless you have A LOT of mice

Boolit Master
    Mint oil

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Best Organic Rat killer is a good Rat Terrior.

Boolit Master
    One of my rodent repellents

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I put one of those potpourri mouse repellant bags under the hood of my wife's car in winter. They work for about six weeks. Most auto parts stores have them.

Boolit Master

I like the bucket trick, but also deploy a bunch of sticky traps with peanut butter. It's better to stay ahead of the game for sure.

Banned
    Here are some places to look

https://www.homesteadmania.com/diy-n...use-repellent/
    http://www.stepin2mygreenworld.com/h...ice-repellent/
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=diy+rodent+repellent&view=detail&mid=5F4C 6181D54DA86E3C0F5F4C6181D54DA86E3C0F&FORM=VIRE
    http://tipnut.com/mouse-repellents/
    https://www.pinterest.com/explore/mice-repellent/

2 cats for us are the mouse patrol here.
    They have the run of the yard, the house, the casting shed and the barn. We feed the birds and turkeys and there is plenty of food around for them, so the cats are plenty busy.
    Sometimes I think they get bored with the mice, chipmunks and moles. They easily catch them, play for a while then let them go. Sometimes I think they play too rough and kill them accidentally.
    There are plenty of mice to go around.
    None in the house (that we know of).
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    I have just started using Peppermint Oil. In a deck box for storing chair cushions. Got the oil and applied a couple of drops and put in bottom corners of the box. Two weeks so far no mice. This is a first for me. I have read about it in many places and decided to try it. Supposed to repel spiders also. Wife happy about that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Some recommend fabric softener sheets like you put in the clothes drier, supposed to keep the mice out of campers and cars. Moth balls work well in truck and combine cabs, but some people absolutely can't stand the smell of them.

Boolit Master

Mothball flake is good repellent for any critter that licks his paws,they don't like the taste.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the tips. I think I will try the peppermint oil trick in the hangar and garage. The smell is pleasant enough that it should not make anyone airsick or carsick. Maybe next spring we will plant some mint. No cats for us, my dog hates them. I've seen other people make the traps out of 5 gallon buckets, great idea as they can catch multiple mice and not need reset while you are away. I won't use rat poison anymore because my dog somehow ate some of it once.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Moth Balls work, never saw a cat or dog lick or eat one.

Bucket trap, use non-toxic anti freeze for the drowning liquid as it pickles them and they will not stink [that is a big plus]

Boolit Master

If you use this,
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tomcat-Mo...killer&veh=sem
    Squirrels, mice, rats eat it and die off. We have a real issue here, and I just scatter the cubes all over where they can get in. I suggest getting larger amounts.
    It works real well.

Boolit Master

We tried using mint oil in the hunting cabin and was surprised it REALLY WORKS! Now we have mint planted all around the cabin (I hope we didn't fence them in) And the plants are spreading nicely, we still spray a bit of mint oil around inside once in a while and haven't seen any droppings this year. Best thing is we don't have stinky carcass's lying around or poison for the dog to get into.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Herbal rodent repellent ??????
    You are being way too nice......they are RATS, they carry disease , black death, they will bite you.
    Time to not be nice. Feed them D-Con Rat Chow , set traps and get a kitty.
    I have two cats , and set out D-Con once a year. My main mouser we call Killer....he loves to hunt them. Since they are well fed they don't eat the rats, just kill them.
    It's OK to kill rats!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    If you use this,
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tomcat-Mo...killer&veh=sem
    Squirrels, mice, rats eat it and die off. We have a real issue here, and I just scatter the cubes all over where they can get in. I suggest getting larger amounts.
    It works real well.
    Got to love the smell of decomposition with it however. I pass

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Herbal rodent repellent ??????
    You are being way too nice......they are RATS, they carry disease , black death, they will bite you.
    Time to not be nice. Feed them D-Con Rat Chow , set traps and get a kitty.
    I have two cats , and set out D-Con once a year. My main mouser we call Killer....he loves to hunt them. Since they are well fed they don't eat the rats, just kill them.
    It's OK to kill rats!
    Gary
    A lots of folks like rats better than cats. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast