Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: 38 +p test on a domestic sheep

Boolit Master

38 +p test on a domestic sheep

Continuing to move through this year's lamb crop, I decided to try the 38 special. Load was 3.8 grains of promo under a Lee 158 SWC TL cast out of ACCOWW. I've never chronoed it out of the 4 inch, but it was probably doing 800 fps or so. From around 10 yards I aimed further back, not wanting to damage the shoulders, probably ended up hitting it a little too far back. The boolit penetrated fully, punching a hole in the diaphragm and liver, just missing the gall bladder. The sheep jumped a bit, wobbled, and laid down without really going anywhere, snowflakes indeed. As soon as I felt it wouldn't get back up I cut the throat, but I think had I not, it would have taken several more minutes to fully expire. The holes were obviously smaller than those made by the 44 test. Neither appears to have expanded.

Boolit Grand Master
    Couldn't you have just brained 'em with a contact shot? DRT

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My buddy in Texas brains sheep, cows and pigs with Colt M1903 Type III Hammerless .32 ACP with Accurate 31-077B and 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400, 1000 fps from 3-3/4" bbl. Shoots clear through skull and flattens out on concrete floor.

Attachment 203379
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

I understand you testing but you do owe it to the animals to get the boolit into the truly vital areas. Pick your shots and don't rush it.

Best of luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BHill View Post
    I understand you testing but you do owe it to the animals to get the boolit into the truly vital areas. Pick your shots and don't rush it.

Best of luck.
    Agreed. I'd felt worse about the shot placement, except how fast it went down. Looking back on it, the shot didn't feel that far back, I wonder if a rib didn't deflect the boolit a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    The system seems sound. The shooting would be more efficient with contact to the fore head upon squeezing the trigger. But that wouldn't do anything to simulate hunting realities.

Id be interested in seeing photos of the actual wounds.
    No pics but the hole in the liver was impressive, 38 caliber hole with several radial tears extending about an inch outward from the hole.

Initially, I figured I'd be testing for hunting purposes, but after more thought, these loads probably represent typical self defense loads more closely, so future tests will be evaluated from that perspective. Next on the test list is a 158 grain SWC over a full charge of 2400 out of a 3 inch 357. Maybe I'll get a few pics taken.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My buddy in Texas brains sheep, cows and pigs with Colt M1903 Type III Hammerless .32 ACP with Accurate 31-077B and 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400, 1000 fps from 3-3/4" bbl. Shoots clear through skull and flattens out on concrete floor.

Attachment 203379
    I'd love to see a video of that thing being shot!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia