RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Parts for original star

Parts for original star

Thinking of getting the star on sale in SS and was wondering if parts are hard to come by for the original star lube sizer. Will current new dies fit it? Are there any advantages to the new one compared to the original?

Thanks Fellas

Joe

Moderator Emeritus

First, the easy question, Magma Dies will fit the older Star...and vice-versa.

I believe the Magma is identical to the older Star and I believe all the parts are interchangeable.
    I don't think there is an advantage to either the older or the new.

With that said, if you are weighing your purchase on ...What if I gotta repair this older unit in the future?
    The design isn't "disassemble friendly" for the average guy.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...er-Disassembly
    but I do believe, Magma will repair/restore them.

Take care of your Star, don't let it rust, don't force it by pressing too large of a boolit, keep a little oil in the correct bearing points, and it'll last a couple lifetimes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

The Star lube sizer was picked up by Magna(sp?). Everything is available and the dies are the same. There a couple of people on this forum that make the dies also along with top punches.

Yea, how do I contact that fella on here that makes dies...Lathsmith I believe? I really should buy this in SS...I've never been a big fan of buying used, bit I hear the older Star is stronger than the new one?

Moderator Emeritus

PM sent.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    PM sent.

Got it..Thanks a Million

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW, I just purchased a used Star Sizer form a member here. I payed $250 for it and it was like new. A new one is $338. I used a limit of about 75% of new cost on buying used.

There is a shop that repairs or restores Star loaders and I think they do sizers. You can find it through google.

The Magma dies are said to fit the original Star machine. I just bought a die and some top punches from Lathesmith. The workmanship is great and he is a great guy to deal with.

There is a learning curve to using this machine. Its not difficult, just a few things to learn. Check Youtube for videos on changing the dies. Consider buying a die removed tool also.

I had one of my Star Sizers repaired by Magma. They charge "time and materials" for repairs, plus shipping back to you. An aluminum bracket had broken on mine, and if I remember correctly, they charged $65.00 for the repair, which I consider reasonable for what was done.

If repairs are necessary, it's best to call them before sending the unit in. I've only needed to send one in to them out of the eight I own, which should give you an idea of their dependability.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 09-19-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I have 4 of these guys. I bought one years ago for $5 that had a broken collar and came with a half dozen or so dies. I had the collar welded up and it works fine. When I would track down a used one I would totally clean it up, relube it and it will work without fail. I got one that would not let the lube come out and after cleaning it up it had a second lube washer that prevented it from working. Just learn the small issues with adjustments and they will reward you for as long as you own it.

Boolit Buddy

Be careful what you buy used.
    I have an old Star that I bought for a cheap price on eBay. The top bracket and the bottom bracket have both been welded. Other parts were well worn. It works, but nothing like the new Magma Star I bought.
    All the dies I have are second hand. They work great.

I drink the Star Sizer Kool Aid by the gallon

What is astounding to me is that the design of the Star sizer has not changed since it was first created. When - in the 30's? What other item can you think of has not changed in 80+ years?
    My first Star sizer that I bought was a nightmare. I struggled with it for MONTHS. Many calls to Magma and many swearing episodes trying to get it to work. i FINALLY sent it back and they discovered a broken part in the spring thingie that squirts the lube into the lube groove.
    They fixed it (no charge) and sent it back. It has performed flawlessly for years now. I have done literally tens of thousands of bullets in it.
    Frankly i can't imagine doing it any other way.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.