MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips on quietly cocking a 336 Marlin?

Boolit Master
    30 or so years ago I did an experiment along these lines. I had stalked a deer (I'll come back to that) for quite a while. Area was old strip mine, so very thick. Was damp and foggy, and I was much better at moving quietly than now. I was peeking thru the honeysuckle on the side of a large poplar tree and spied my quary, a doe. At that time TN was buck only for ML season. I decided to see how the does would react to cocking my Senaca. Does was so close I could have poked her rear with a broom! When I cocked the hammer, letting it click but holding the trigger to keep it muted, she swiveled her ears but stayed put. When I pulled the trigger to set she looked back and bolted! The ignored click we dull and muted, the other was not loud but metallic and more out of place in nature. Back to that deer, there were 3 , supprize! But no bucks, lowered back to half cock and had a good laugh at my assumption ! Somehow I can't figure how we ever got by without decockers and multiple safety devices ! ( purple font there).
    Last edited by rking22; 09-05-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Stoopid phone,close nuf
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I killed a nice 8 point at 40 feet away. He was staring at me with his ears up. I did the silent cock on my .54 Plains pistol and raised it &shot in one motion. He sat down & fell over. He most definitely would have heard the click had I not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The thing to do is practice this method till it is second nature, I have harvested many deer doing this, and do it with realizing I did it. And on crossbolt safety's you can place your finger tips on both sides and slowly remove it from safe. I knew and old gentleman that would take his shotgun off safety once he reached his hunting spot, but that would make me nervous!

Boolit Master
    Yup, deer hate metallic sounds. A few years ago I was on my deer hunting hillside before first light. Had been there about half an hour with an unloaded rifle (that's the rules before first light, and I don't need to pay a ticket if it can be avoided!). With first light showing I decided to load the rifle. The rifle was a Mauser, top loader into the enclosed magazine. When I pushed the first cartridge into the magazine well it engaged with an audible metallic "snap." Immediately with that sound I heard "SNORT" from about 60-70 yards straight in front of me. Never did see that deer all morning, or any other for that matter. Bah, humbug. Foiled again.

Boolit Buddy
    I has a buck at 40 yards last year took off at a dead run when I clicked the safety oFF of a ruger 77

Quote Originally Posted by kycrawler View Post
    I has a buck at 40 yards last year took off at a dead run when I clicked the safety oFF of a ruger 77
    I'd be getting that one worked on. Thats pretty extreme.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Pull slightly back on the hammer, pull and hold the trigger while pulling the hammer fully to the rear. Release the trigger then ease the hammer forward untill the sear engages and holds in the full cock notch. You are silently ready to fire.
    I've been using this method for more than 40 years. As others have already said, practice with an empty weapon until it becomes second nature.