Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on quietly cocking a 336 Marlin?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Any tips on quietly cocking a 336 Marlin?

I have a 1970 Marlin 336 in 35 rem. I was trying to figure out how to quietly pull the hammer back without spooking bear off a bait pile from 20-30 yards away. It makes a click and is an early model with no safety button. Any tips?

Pull slightly back on the hammer, pull and hold the trigger while pulling the hammer fully to the rear. Release the trigger then ease the hammer forward untill the sear engages and holds in the full cock notch. You are silently ready to fire.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Yep, that's it.

Boolit Master
    What Dan Cash said

OR, since you're "on stand", you could just sit there with a cocked rifle.........

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

OR, since you're "on stand", you could just sit there with a cocked rifle.........

Anyone ever make something that would wedge in between the cocked hammer and receiver that could be removed when ready to fire?

As noted, just pull back the hammer while holding the trigger back.when you release the trigger, the hammer will remain cocked, with no noise.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Vendor Sponsor

JUST be SURE to release the trigger first ....then the hammer otherwise you in for a surprise discharge and no bear
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    like john wayne do you know what this is ? bear will give up

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Anyone ever make something that would wedge in between the cocked hammer and receiver that could be removed when ready to fire?
    Just get a new one with the BS Safety and oversprung. At least they haven't gone to the Winoko inertia hammer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Pull slightly back on the hammer, pull and hold the trigger while pulling the hammer fully to the rear. Release the trigger then ease the hammer forward untill the sear engages and holds in the full cock notch. You are silently ready to fire.
    Yuppers that is how.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Yep. Hold trigger back. I used to do that with a single shot 12 gauge I had. It was a noisy one.

It's called a twig haha. I like the silent cock method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It's called a twig haha. I like the silent cock method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Or a glove

Boolit Master
    There is no {totally safe} way to cock a rifles hammer other than suggested by its manufacture. Been a constant on going complaint thru the ages about noisy hammers or noisy safety's. I've even encountered a squeeky sling mount. But yaw know what? After a while you give up and accept that firearm quirkyness.
    If a bear bolts from the bait pile do to a so called noisy 336's cocking. That hunter hasn't got the right type of bait down to draw the animals full attention.

Boolit Grand Master

A leather strip can be made to keep hammers from hitting the firing pins or primers. I made several of these over the years for pistols with hammer mounted firing pins simply a strip ofthick leather that fit in the slot and a wider end so it didn't go in to deeply. These were used when letting the hammer down. Colt single action older S&Ws and some colts. On a firearm with a frame mounted firing pin a hoe needs to be punched so the leather strip bears around it not on it this way the strip takes the force instead of the firing pin. For people with weak hands or little practice these made lowering the hammer much safer.
    As stated above holding the trigger back while cocking may quiet it a lot, But practice this with an empty firearm until your sure of yourself.

Actually, when I sit on stand with the hammer cocked, I always place the thumb of my trigger hand between the hammer face & the rear of the bolt/firing pin.

The thumb comes out naturally when the rifle is raised for the shot.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    amazing stuff on this site. learned that trick at 12. hard to believe anyone who owns a hammer gun didn't know. he's sitting way to close and way to low from the bait.

It might have been all in my head about how loud it was. Your senses are very accute when game gets close. It might not be as loud as you think. Give someone your rifle. Walk 30 feet away, and have them cock it. I'll bet you won't hear much. If you can't hear it at 30 feet, a bear prob won't hear it at 30 yards. It worth the experiment to give it a try.

Have you actually spooked game with it? Or are THINKING it might spook them? You probably have less of a problem then you think you do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    It might have been all in my head about how loud it was. Your senses are very accute when game gets close. It might not be as loud as you think. Give someone your rifle. Walk 30 feet away, and have them cock it. I'll bet you won't hear much. If you can't hear it at 30 feet, a bear prob won't hear it at 30 yards. It worth the experiment to give it a try.[...]
    On the other hand, silently creep through a forest while /knowing/ that people are out there looking to kill you.
    A hammer cocking at 30 feet may then sound like the Hammer of Doom, lol.

Edit: But seriously though; a long time ago, an old deer hunter explained to me that it wasn't just any noise that gives you away to game animals - the problem was artificial sounds, particularly metallic sounds (which don't really occur in nature).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast