RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 32/20

Boolit Buddy

32/20

I have a Winchester modern take down 1892 32/20 that I been shooting 85 to 100 gr jacket bullets load at rifle data I just picked up a browning 53 been using jacketed bullets to hunt blue grouse does very well I also have 2 s&w 32/20 I shoot cast out of what bullets do most of you use in rifles and how big of game do you shoot?

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Been using 32-20 in a Winchester 1873 for many years. With a .315 115 gr FN cast and 4 grains Unique it has been a good ground hog / raccoon puncher. Some years back purchased a Dan Wesson 32-20 to haul about for the same game but under 20-25 yards depending on the shot. About 6 years back bought a 32-20 Savage bolt rifle for the same hunting with the same cast but sized to .310 as for the DW revolver. Coyotee is as big I would choose to seriously hunt.
    For corn crunchers we have all sorts of options. But normally I have used a muzzle loader. I hunt river bottoms and thick woodsy stuff so my longest deer shot is 33 yards. A muzzleloader easily covers that.
    If a 32-20 was all I had I would want in the bottoms at least a 125 FN grainer going as fast as that rifle would take being extremely careful with bullet placement. Those little slugs lack a lot on penetration. A big ground hog / raccoon shoulder shot those bullets seldom exit if the opposite shoulder is also hit. I would not count on any blood trail. I would want a good beagle handy.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by milltownhunter View Post
    I have a Winchester modern take down 1892 32/20 that I been shooting 85 to 100 gr jacket bullets load at rifle data I just picked up a browning 53 been using jacketed bullets to hunt blue grouse does very well I also have 2 s&w 32/20 I shoot cast out of what bullets do most of you use in rifles and how big of game do you shoot?
    Milltownhunter...............Good morning Is the Montana hunting law still good for any Center Fire Caliber can be used for big game???? Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In S&W Hand Ejector, and Colt Police Positive revolvers and older .32-20 rifles, such as Colt Lightning and Winchester 1873. Accurate 31-105T, 1:30 alloy, sized .314"

Great small game, woodchuck, coyote and turkey gun. I don't shoot dear or bear with mine anymore since I got a .44-40 and a thirty-thirty...

Attachment 203360

3.0-3.4 grains Bullseye
    3.5-4.0 grains W231
    4.0-4.5 grains Unique
    7.5-8.0 grains #2400
    9.0-10.0 grains 4227
    11.5-13.0 grains 4198
    12.5-14.0 grains RL7
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have the old lyman 311316 mold with gas check. also ordered it in h-p. I load it with unique. use pistol loads in the 73. load it faster in the 92. shot ground hogs and fox with it. out of the 92 I would do a deer with it. that bullet also works good in my ruger .30 carbine Blackhawk. they also feed in my m1 carbine.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Browning likes the RCBS 32-98 SWC over 5.0 grains of Unique. I load 3.3 grains of WW 231 under a wad cutter boolit for my revolvers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0507.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	203408
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    120Gn Willbird custom group buy mould, but recently discovered 1000 115Gn commercial cast boolits that I bought frrom a friend who was selling his casting business and clearing all stock. I had forgotten about these (there are also 1000 44/40 boolits as well). Soooo, I'l be using them for the forseeable future. Never hunted much with it, finished off a roo who had a broken leg on a friend's farm. Put his lights out immediately.

Used a couple of Winchester 92s but have just got an old Savage bolt rifle cobbled together with an equally old Bushnell 4x Post and Crosshair (my fav) scope which should be good.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Montana you can hunt with any gun you want 22 rim fire too

Quote Originally Posted by milltownhunter View Post
    Montana you can hunt with any gun you want 22 rim fire too
    What a Great State we live in.........Lots of game and not too many People.........Way cool; Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !