Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everything Lost to Hurricane Harvey

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    This might be helpful

“Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils.
    the torque required to loosen them;
    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.
    Not doubting the effectiveness of penetrating oils.............but please explain how the 516 lbs vs the 238,214 etc.......were concluded.
    If they broke it loose with 516 lbs of force, why/how did they determine it took on X amount with the oil after it had been broke loose?

Rhetorical, no real need to answer. I live about 300 miles north of Houston, or I'd volunteer to help rescue your equipment. BTW, I live in Texas and I have a basement. A water line busted once and I had water up to my table saw table. I lost nothing to that flood, not even an electric motor. Very lucky, but judicious drying and a couple of applications of oil will do wonders.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

A few years ago we were flooded and most of my reloading stuff was under water for a couple of months. got most of the stuff cleaned now but some of the stuff was beyond fixing and had to be replaced. Evaporust for sure is your friend and a lot of rags and oil and scothbright pads. It's to bad, but it happens and you can't go back and change it. I'm sorry and too far away to help, except offer my encouragement.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I always forget that there are no basements in Texas. After all if The Alamo doesn't have one why should every other house
    I was thinking that if the water rose enough they would start pushing on the ceiling above them. Hydraulic pressure is pretty amazing and the drums could end up on the second floor.
    Depends upon where you are. The reason that people up north have basements and we don't is that when you are pouring the slab for a house, you need the footings to be below the frost like. Since it gets so cold up there, the frost like is a bit deep and as long as you have to go down that deep anyway, you might as well add a couple more feet to it and make another layer out of it.

Now, I have actually seen a house for sale in Houston where they advertised that it had a basement. Also, all the buildings downtown have basements and in fact, there is a tunnel system that goes through the various basements under the buildings and shops along the tunnel system.

For the most part though, we just use the tunnel system to get between buildings (go to lunch, etc) without having to step out into the hot and humid Houston weather.

I don't know how it turned out after Harvey, but they had some flooding there during Allison.

I think they've added some flood doors in certain buildings since then.

I would not be concerned with a 55g drum floating to the point where it damaged the roof or the floor above it. If that happens, you have other problems.

Boolit Buddy

You are a good man DerekP. If I were closer, I would help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    You are a good man DerekP. If I were closer, I would help you.
    Derek is definitely one of the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Once they can get access to the house again shoot me a message, if be happy to at least pick up the presses and drop them in some oil to prevent and worse corrosion. I'm not 100% on repairing gear but I can help dry it out at least and assess the damage.
    Derek...you are a damn good man! That's over the top...I salute you my friend.

c h a r l i e
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    PM sent to DerekP. A true gentleman! If I ever have to store a bunch of **** again, it will most certainly be in watertight containers to the greatest extent possible. Most of the ammo I have in storage is in GI ammo cans, so it may have survived. Not so sure about anything else. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and empathy. My friends don't have flood insurance, so I'll definitely be pursuing financial relief either through income tax or FEMA.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Might be a few weeks just fyi, they were still evacuating people this past weekend and the sewage treatment plant failed. Once I get the details I'll take some pics and see what I can do to keep it functional.

I Figure dry everything out with air compressor and sunshine then a dunk in atf/kerosene to prevent any corrosion for the moving parts.

Might be a chore cleaning the oil back off the molds but better than rust damage.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Might be a few weeks just fyi, they were still evacuating people this past weekend and the sewage treatment plant failed. Once I get the details I'll take some pics and see what I can do to keep it functional.

I Figure dry everything out with air compressor and sunshine then a dunk in atf/kerosene to prevent any corrosion for the moving parts.

Might be a chore cleaning the oil back off the molds but better than rust damage.
    Absolutely! I'd much rather have to spend a week degreasing stuff than I would soaking it in Evapo-rust and hoping what comes out is still serviceable!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Blow off any water on it, spray a liberal amount of WD40 on it. After doing all the equipment with WD40, wipe off the excess then oil it heavily with a heavier bodied oil to hold it until it can be cleaned for use. I would not trust kerosene or ATF to displace any moisture left on it. Maybe put it in a barrel of oil, kerosene or diesel if it needs to stay another year or more.

Good luck.

Boolit Master

A friend of mine was in the Air Force in Vietnam. He said that after they got back from a mission, they would just dump their M16s in a drum of diesel fuel. Or maybe it was just JP-4. I don't know any other ex-AirForce guys from over there, so I can't verify the story.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    A friend of mine was in the Air Force in Vietnam. He said that after they got back from a mission, they would just dump their M16s in a drum of diesel fuel. Or maybe it was just JP-4. I don't know any other ex-AirForce guys from over there, so I can't verify the story.
    Wow that doesn't sound pleasant. I'd rather used motor oil than diesel. Yuck

Nich 55 I am in San Antonio, If you need help with this let me know I can get to Houston for you and get your equip cleaned up and oiled for you.

Banned
    Did the people who stored it for you have flood insurance ?

If so "their" reloading equipment would be covered.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Wow that doesn't sound pleasant. I'd rather used motor oil than diesel. Yuck
    Well, if it was JP-4, it would have been better. You gotta figure that all the Air Force guys who work around JP-4 would be used to the smell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    Did the people who stored it for you have flood insurance ?

If so "their" reloading equipment would be covered.
    Unfortunately, no. I also asked my homeowner's insurance if they would cover it, and got the same reply - not in the insured location.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    Nich 55 I am in San Antonio, If you need help with this let me know I can get to Houston for you and get your equip cleaned up and oiled for you.
    GM, thank you for the generous offer! DerekP is in Houston, and has already volunteered to do this. We're working out the details.

There is a product called PB B'laster that is a miracle worker at penetrating, and removing rust. Have someone put the machines, dies in a plastic bag, liberally spray them down, then close up the bag. This will stop any rust progression, and prevent more corrosion. Next choice is to get a gallon can of WD40 and do the same. Diesel is good for using with a scrubbing brush to remove the slimy buildup from after the flood, but not as good at water displacement or rust prevention.

http://blastercorp.com/PB-Blaster-Pe...ck-parts-spray

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I also asked my homeowner's insurance if they would cover it, and got the same reply - not in the insured location.
    Hold up a second. They're saying it's not covered because it was a flood, or because it was in another location? I've been doing property insurance claims for almost 20 years, and your personal property should be covered under your policy regardless of its location. The same applies for renter's insurance. Who is your carrier?

Boolit Buddy
    I am also in the Houston area, south side 288 and highway 6 area. And can assist DerekP where I can. Send me a PM if you need more help there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast