Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Everything Lost to Hurricane Harvey

Derek: the magic potion is LPS II and LPS III These are rust preventatives that displace water and are available in spray cans and 1,5, and 55 gallon cans.

Just blowing the pieces off that have been in water with an air hose and spraying them with this stuff will suspend any damage for eternity.

Dumping all the stuff in a bucket of Diesel would work also to get rid of the water. The water would drop to the bottom on the bucket, and if the parts were in a basket you could just pull it out and dip in in the LPS II. Then just put everything in a sealed plastic container and Nicholist could deal with it when he got back.

We all see these catastrophes on TV from time to time, and think wow that's pretty bad and our hearts go out to them, but this one really moved me. Those people got screwed!!!!!!!!! and it ain't gonna get better for a long time.

I went thru every nook and cranny in my house and sent every piece of unused clothing, socks, pants, coats, blankets, towels etc. that I could find, which added up to 6 Large Trash bags full of good usable stuff that I hope gets to people who need it. This cost me nothing to do but a couple of hours of my time to bag all the stuff, and a RE Agent across the street took it to a shipping center in town that was sending donations to Houston.

I have never done this before. But this time got to me.

My Brother is just finishing his new home in Fort Meyers FL and Irma might take it out. Luckily he is fully insured and his family is up north. He is flying in the Middle East and can't be there. I am watching closely as to what happens there.

I'm in CA and we have "Earth Quakes!" The last one was in 1994 and it knocked some things off a shelf that broke in our house, and we were without power for part of the day. We spent the day in our camper watching TV. We had it really rough.

We have no idea what it is like to be affected like the people back east. Our hearts do go out to them.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I just don`t know what to say,except that I have seen hurricane damage and it ain`t pretty.Wishing you the best.God bless you and yours.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	717uFzslKpL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	203643

Is that the stuff? And just grease as usual after the fact or well oil? I've got a few things on my amazon list already I can drop this on.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna guess yes, went ahead and ordered some as well as some evaporust. Never had a chance to use the stuff yet, kinda looking forward to it. With any luck I'll get everything cleaned and oiled before any permanent damage sets in.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Remember the WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement. WD-40 was the first but there are several sprays and stuff now that will prevent rust. Soak it good and leave on everything and Nicholas can spend his time getting to know his equipment when he gets home.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish all the best to you and your situation. Will your homeowners insurance cover your loss?
    I need to check on my own insurance!
    I have had my truck broken into, an multiple items stolen. Was able to claim on my home owners policy!
    Wishing the best!
    Ed

Derek: Yes that's the stuff. There is LPS 1, 2 and 3 and the difference is the higher the number the thicker the stuff is when it dries. 1 is pretty thin and penetrates well. 2 is slightly thicker but still penetrates. 3 coats stuff.

When we did the Budweiser Expansion in Van Nuys CA in the 80's. I was in charge of preserving and protecting all the machines that were delivered until they were installed. Me and my team used 3ea. 55 gallon drums of LPS 3 applied with Hudson Sprayers to coat all the exposed metal surfaces. Luckily I didn't have to take it off after the machines were installed in the buildings. It goes on and stays on and you can just about put the parts out in the rain and it will be there when hell freezes.

Sorry for the late reply. You done good!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Derek: Yes that's the stuff. There is LPS 1, 2 and 3 and the difference is the higher the number the thicker the stuff is when it dries. 1 is pretty thin and penetrates well. 2 is slightly thicker but still penetrates. 3 coats stuff.

When we did the Budweiser Expansion in Van Nuys CA in the 80's. I was in charge of preserving and protecting all the machines that were delivered until they were installed. Me and my team used 3ea. 55 gallon drums of LPS 3 applied with Hudson Sprayers to coat all the exposed metal surfaces. Luckily I didn't have to take it off after the machines were installed in the buildings. It goes on and stays on and you can just about put the parts out in the rain and it will be there when hell freezes.

Sorry for the late reply. You done good!

Randy
    Unfortunately the place I ordered it from still hasn't gotten around to shipping....The evaporust arrived though so it should take care of any rust removal needed. I'll swing by home depot and grab the extra strength wd-40 and use that until the vendor feels like shipping. Tentative plan for tomorrow morning to get access and assess any damage done. I'll just post here if I have any questions so yall can give me recommendations on how to proceed.

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

Derek, I'm pretty sure that either HD or Lowes, in the Houston area stocks LPS-3. I know that they used too when I lived there (I retired and moved in 2015). LPS-3 is perfect for your needs. When it dries it looks and feels almost exactly like Alox boolit lube! Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    Derek, I'm pretty sure that either HD or Lowes, in the Houston area stocks LPS-3. I know that they used too when I lived there (I retired and moved in 2015). LPS-3 is perfect for your needs. When it dries it looks and feels almost exactly like Alox boolit lube! Treetop
    I tried finding some today again, they were completely sold out. That evaporust is like magic!!! I should've gotten the 5 gallon bucket, but the pan I have full is cleaning up these tools like magic. barely been a few hours and the punches look almost new again. With any luck I can get the larger size delivered from amazon this week and just soak the remaining large items for a bit. There was quite a bit more gear than I was expecting us reloaders really are packrats....

Wood stocks faired better than I thought they would, maybe a few are damaged but the majority looked to be just fine. Quite a few scopes were full of water and rusted though, not sure if those are savable. Will do what I can with the tools I have, since I have to go back to work tonight I'm going to get as much of the water off that I can today and come back for another round of gentle rust removal next week.

-Derek

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Other than some paint damage and discoloration, the presses are in good working order still. Some spray on rust remover and steel wool removed the surface rust and they have been sprayed down with some rust inhibitor until I get back next weekend. Some more good news, it appears the dies are in a dry box! Still going to have a few to clean up that were in tool heads but I *hope* a majority are still in good condition. Are those safe to drop in evaporust too?

Casting equipment is all in a damaged box, looked like mostly aluminum molds that should be alright after a soapy water bath. Could've been worse but it was still an awful mess of good gear =(. Worst part I feel bad about was all his medals and memorabilia were drenched and soggy. Had to put everything away for now but I'll get the rest scrubbed up and take some pictures next weekend.

Will the discolored metal ever go away if I leave it in evaporust long enough?

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

You can put the dies in the Evaporust. But be aware that it takes it down to clean metal. So if the rust layer is uneven, talking interior die surfaces, it may end up uneven. I'd still try it and see how they turn out.

The discoloration won't go away. There is an explanation on their site that is way past what I can explain. One thing is to make sure the parts stay fully submerged. Otherwise you will get a dark line where the part is exposed to air. All the parts I soaked in Evaporust now have spots all over them. I dipped them back in the solution for temporary rust prevention. Should have just oiled the parts. Or taken them off the tray I was using to dry them. Don't want to see you do the same thing.

Banned
    nicholst55,

LUCKY YOU that we have so many GREAT members.
    (I would've gone to help Derek, except that I'm still "up to my ears" in helping at the big Alamo City shelter.)

IF all ya'll are "praying folks", pray for our evacuees, as most have lost EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING. = Many (including my lady's older brother, who lost his 2016 Chevy truck & her uncle, who lost everything he had except his life) had NO insurance for flood damage.

Note: People who are experts in storm recovery say that we are looking at 3-5 YEARS to get the flood area restored to something resembling reasonably normal.

The only good thing about Darla's family & the flood is that they are all alive & well, in 2 new apartments in McKinney, TX. = We are praising The Lord about that, too.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-16-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You can put the dies in the Evaporust. But be aware that it takes it down to clean metal. So if the rust layer is uneven, talking interior die surfaces, it may end up uneven. I'd still try it and see how they turn out.

The discoloration won't go away. There is an explanation on their site that is way past what I can explain. One thing is to make sure the parts stay fully submerged. Otherwise you will get a dark line where the part is exposed to air. All the parts I soaked in Evaporust now have spots all over them. I dipped them back in the solution for temporary rust prevention. Should have just oiled the parts. Or taken them off the tray I was using to dry them. Don't want to see you do the same thing.
    I did notice that line on the pair of pliers I tested it with, I'm ordering the large bucket of evaporust now so everything will stay submerged 100%. Thanks for the advice fellas, will do what I can to save his gear here.

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    DerekP Houston,

BRAVO & 'OLE to you.

yours, tex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123